The Chimera MachOne: For the pros. Small meets flexible.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I've seen comparisons to the Phanteks shift here but I see it's also a sensible downsize from the SilverStone FT03 which is one of the first tower cases I've seen with this vertical orientation.

The FT03 fit Micro-ATX boards, but it was also much bigger at 32.5 liters in volume. And people who watercooled in that case usually "backpacked" the radiator outside, which didn't always look that nice. The Mach One is an amazing step forward for watercooling in so many ways. Having a rear 5.25" bay for bay reservoirs is pretty interesting.

uniqz

Cable Smoosher
Jun 7, 2018
I have shift X now and slim 240 and fat 120 inside, already burned one ddc pump with temps around 70 degrees on full gaming load od slight OC'd 980ti and 6600k ( 1.280v ) . Why ?? Bcs the airflow is bad.

The used Nemesis can take 275w in push configuration, and that is not enough.
And yeah ofcourse i want to OC the system .

This will probably be expensive case, so they have to have in mind people with watercooled vga and cpu, hard tubbing etc...

I am pretty sure DA2 will fit more rad surface but can't tell for sure untill i get my hands on one.

Well I don't know what is going on in your system specifically, might have something to do with the Shift X being very ristrictive in terms of air flow to the side fans. A few weeks ago on r/watercooling someone sent me this in a discussion on what radiator size is needed or not needed, it is quite an interesting read.

Reactions: Biowarejak

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
For Gear 2 and 3, can a MATX board support decent water cooling? I think I see that the MATX board covers a decently large portion of space for water cooling and only enough space for normal fans. I hope I am wrong since I really want to water cool a Threadripper and a 1080 ti in side that case.

We'll have some diagrams for the various configurations up sometime today, which will hopefully help to illustrate the cooling that's possible based on configuration & hardware choices :thumb: Off the top of my head, watercooling Threadripper and a 1080Ti may be challenging though.

Two questions (@Wahaha360 @PlayfulPhoenix )...

One - Might there be room between the AIO & GPU (single slot because full cover waterblock) for 90 degree fittings on the GPU...?

Two - Might there be room for any fans (dual 120mm x 25mm) fans on the rear of the chassis to exhaust...?

Can you elaborate a bit on how you're envisioning the tubing runs?

There isn't really room on the rear for fans, and we deliberately didn't support installation there because having twin 140mm fans on the front pushes a ton of air all by itself. We're pretty sure that the marginal benefit of additional fans in the back is negligible.

When I see pictures of the case, I'm already convinced to pay )) but it doesn't match my requirments for water-cooling. I'm so sad now.

What would you say your requirements are? I think it will be very hard to design a build that needs more cooling capacity than the MachOne supports, save for perhaps the Threadripper + flagship GPU @ATTWIFI mentioned.

I may have missed these:
  • Can this case be flipped, so that cables come out of case on the bottom?
  • Timing?
  • Cost?
Can’t wait.
  • Not with the current design. I don't think we'll change that, either, since having the I/O on the bottom would make it very impractical to access
  • We're targeting fall of this year, but we're not going to manufacture & sell until it's done and done right
  • A range of prices, starting in the ballpark of our existing lineup but escalating in cost to accommodate some of the pricey risers that more exotic configurations require
I find really interesting that someone is making case " watecooling ready" but fail at first step - thinks that 1 280 rad will be enough. And it won't even or stock speeds, let alone OC.

Oh, the demo rig we have right now has completely adequate cooling capacity for overclocking – and that's with an i9 and Titan XP! Thicker, denser radiators are best in terms of building up robust cooling capacity, and the MachOne is peerless with respect to this, in its size class.

That doesn't mean that anything can be overclocked in it, but the limit is very, very high. I do think that anything you can fit can be adequately cooled at stock. In any case, we will be doing thermal testing soon to better understand exactly how well the enclosure performs, across hardware selection and available configurations. Our goal is to be very prescriptive in terms of what cooling solutions work best for certain component choices.

DA2 case have waay more flexibility

In what way? The DA2 can support ATX power supplies, and their (quite clever) rail system means there's much more granular control of the positioning of components. However, the MachOne is less than 6% larger and has a smaller footprint, while supporting much more hardware - thick radiators, dedicated pump/reservoir units and mATX support put it in a different class entirely.

Dan and I actually visited Streacom earlier on during Computex, and got some hands-on time with the DA2, and it's a great enclosure. (A short aside – the Streacom team was a treat to visit; we had an hour-long meeting scheduled but stuck around for nearly two hours because conversing with them was such fun :)). The DA2 and the MachOne are both quite 'flexible', but they're flexible in different ways. I think that their relative strengths are different enough that few ought to find themselves deciding between the two.

what are dimensions of the case ??

170 x 286 x 380mm (18.5L) – that's width x depth x height!

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Not with the current design. I don't think we'll change that, either, since having the I/O on the bottom would make it very impractical to access
The I/O being fixed on top makes sense. It would be awesome, as a totally non-supported feature, a way to match up tapped holes/ punched slots, just so that the top panel can be bolted to the bottom frame, and feet on the top frame... or maybe skip the holes because tooling/cost reasons, but just plan to have no interference when top cover and feet are swapped - I’ll be happy to light mod the case, and give up the “bottom” I/O...

jack1940

Average Stuffer
Oct 29, 2017
Right now we aren't intending to offer a perforated side panel. This is for a variety of reasons, but two primary ones come to mind:
  • Builds in the Gear Two or Gear Three are really geared (no pun intended) towards AIO's and water cooling, as they open up considerable space at the front of the enclosure that you aren't likely to use for much else. Given that these are the two configurations where the CPU clearance is most constrained - and thus when ordinarily you'd have to stick with top-down coolers - much of the use case for top-down air cooling is obviated.
  • Builds in the Gear One have about the same CPU clearance as the NCASE M1, which include a selection of pretty great tower cooler options. These would then be coupled with twin 140mm fans placed at the front, which would easily flow a lot of air over the build and out the back.
Essentially, we do not think there is a strong enough use case to justify venting the side panel for us to do it.

The lighting is a bit deceptive in that photo - it's the same silver color as the others! Though I would love, love, love a space grey version for myself...

We will definitely be offering enclosures in silver and black, and for now I'll just say that we're thinking about other colors/options to provide. But nothing to share there quite yet.

The finish is brushed for all the panels.

You can build towards noise (which generally means higher temps and more fans spinning slower), performance (which generally means thicker radiators and faster spinning fans), or try to find an optimal balance. I think one of the things that stands the MachOne apart is that you can do all of these; it's going to be much easier to get excellent acoustic performance or excellent compute performance out of the MachOne than anything remotely near it's size class (on either side), let alone to be able to get a much better balance of the two.
I just heard yesterday that manufacturers are developing more powerful air cooler(because of LGA3647 28c and 32c TR2). I am almost sure of the information.This means that the air cooler of 140mm- /200W+ is likely to have more choices, so it doesn't have to be restricted to down-blowing cooler. Hopefully, at least every version of you will make flexible adjustments. Thank you again.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Hey all, here are some diagrams we've drawn up to demonstrate the sorts of component choices that are possible in the MachOne, for each of the Gear One/Two/Three configurations!

SirJack

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 22, 2018
You can fit dual 280mm rad in the Mach One, 280x55mm push-pull in the front, 280x45mm on the side like the M1, but you didn't hear it from me.

That... sounds like beast mode. But won't we need perforated sides and mounts? Please make it possible XD or else it's just dead space...

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
That... sounds like beast mode. But won't we need perforated sides and mounts? Please make it possible XD or else it's just dead space...
It's basically a wind tunnel like Spartan was. Awesome ATX case that you can find on the forum, btw. Smaller volume too.

Last edited:

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Last edited:

isabirov

Average Stuffer
Nov 15, 2017
What would you say your requirements are? I think it will be very hard to design a build that needs more cooling capacity than the MachOne supports, save for perhaps the Threadripper + flagship GPU @ATTWIFI mentioned.

Simple math. Let's take theoretical enthusiast build, 8700K+1080. TDPs are 95+180 watts. So 275w needs to be dissipated. If you take monoblock, it will be even higher, not talking about HEDT and Ti setup.
GTX280 (which is 55 mm rad) in push configuration is able to dissipate 151w in 750 rpm, 275w in 1300 rpm. So it's enough to cool components in 1300 rpm, but without any OC and a little bit noisy. Push/pull config in 750 rpm gives 209w, which is still not enough and push/pull in 1300 rpm gives 343w, which is enough even for OC but noisier because of two additional fans.

If we are thinking about OC, let's add 20%, so total TDP will be 330w. GTS280 (which is 30mm rad) is able to dissipate 165w in 750 rpm. So to cool components with possible OC we need 2 GTS280 in the loop, additionally, this system will be very silent.

It's nearly impossible to squeeze 2 280 rads in SFF, so let's sacrifice low temps and silence a bit. Set to 1000rpm. There is no difference in heat dissipation of GTX280 and GTS280 at that speed, being about 205-210w. So to dissipate 330w, we need additional 140mm rad.

Squeezing 280 and 140 slim rads in SFF format is much easier. I made several sketches, based on Cerberus, to find out how it can be optimized.

Best setup is inverted layout, with PSU on top, 140mm rad in front and 280mm rad on bottom. it can be changed to 280mm rad in front and 140 on bottom (call it symmetrical :)) Those, who are using Matx, cannot use bottom rad space. The only question is back panel design for mitx and matx.

But I don't know, how to fit 140 rad in vertical layout :(

Edit: typos. Sorry for my bad English

Last edited:

McSpain

Trash Compacter
Jun 8, 2018
This looks awesome. I really don't know, why nobody invested in this layout before.
I'm super hyped, since this (especially GearOne) is close to something I thought of doing as a scratch build. Only difference would have been that it had included a PSU shroud, with the glass ending at the top edge of the shroud.
The shroud would have had ~8 cm vertical space to house a horizontal slim ODD drive (accessible from the side) and a USB-3.0/C port above a SFX-L PSU.

SirJack

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 22, 2018
Is it me or does it seem like there is almost space for 60mm push pull?

Can the creators plat with the layout a little to see if this is possible.

jsco

Average Stuffer
Feb 2, 2016
congratulations on doing that front fan/rad bracket just right. maximum flexibility, minimum flow restriction, easy to slap some low restriction mesh on the outside. i hope this becomes the new standard. (and i'm very curious what filter material you're using!)

not a fan of the overall aesthetics, though. all of the bezels around the window and above and below the vent holes are of different widths. ideally, they would either convey a disappearing minimalism, or they'd establish a certain feeling of chunkiness as part of the case's look, but they do neither for me. the front and rear panel gaps look like they break up the intended aesthetic rather than contributing to it. all the notable design elements (rounded front edges, front grille holes, zigzag gaps, various width solid borders) get used once and only once, so the end result has a haphazard, off-brand feel. (sorry for such negative feedback. i think it's a great design underneath the sheet metal.)

uniqz

Cable Smoosher
Jun 7, 2018
Simple math. Let's take theoretical enthusiast build, 8700K+1080. TDPs are 95+180 watts. So 275w needs to be dissipated. If you take monoblock, it will be even higher, not talking about HEDT and Ti setup.
GTX280 (which is 55 mm rad) in push configuration is able to dissipate 151w in 750 rpm, 275w in 1300 rpm. So it's enough to cool components in 1300 rpm, but without any OC and a little bit noisy. Push/pull config in 750 rpm gives 209w, which is still not enough and push/pull in 1300 rpm gives 343w, which is enough even for OC but noisier because of two additional fans.

If we are thinking about OC, let's add 20%, so total TDP will be 330w. GTS280 (which is 30mm rad) is able to dissipate 165w in 750 rpm. So to cool components with possible OC we need 2 GTS280 in the loop, additionally, this system will be very silent.

It's nearly impossible to squeeze 2 280 rads in SFF, so let's sacrifice low temps and silence a bit. Set to 1000rpm. There is no difference in heat dissipation of GTX280 and GTS280 at that speed, being about 205-210w. So to dissipate 330w, we need additional 140mm rad.

Squeezing 280 and 140 slim rads in SFF format is much easier. I made several sketches, based on Cerberus, to find out how it can be optimized.

Best setup is inverted layout, with PSU on top, 140mm rad in front and 280mm rad on bottom. it can be changed to 280mm rad in front and 140 on bottom (call it symmetrical :)) Those, who are using Matx, cannot use bottom rad space. The only question is back panel design for mitx and matx.

But I don't know, how to fit 140 rad in vertical layout :(

Edit: typos. Sorry for my bad English

You can not calculate the tdp and then take some numbers for radiators and match them up, it is not that simple. First of all not all of that heat will even arrive at the water block, that will definately be a significant amount of wattage on a non delidded Intel CPU, hence why delidding makes such a difference. I posted this to someone else in this thread, I suggest you read it, quite enlightening when it comes to seeing what can be cooled with a relatively small rad.

isabirov

Average Stuffer
Nov 15, 2017
You can not calculate the tdp and then take some numbers for radiators and match them up, it is not that simple. First of all not all of that heat will even arrive at the water block, that will definately be a significant amount of wattage on a non delidded Intel CPU, hence why delidding makes such a difference. I posted this to someone else in this thread, I suggest you read it, quite enlightening when it comes to seeing what can be cooled with a relatively small rad.
Delidded 7700K non-OC, 280+240 rad, no GPU, temps are 70C, ambient temperature 22C.
You are saying that your i7 and triple 780 are cooled by 280x60 rad?