The Chimera MachOne: For the pros. Small meets flexible.

vex_sb

Average Stuffer
May 11, 2018
Oh, the demo rig we have right now has completely adequate cooling capacity for overclocking – and that's with an i9 and Titan XP! Thicker, denser radiators are best in terms of building up robust cooling capacity, and the MachOne is peerless with respect to this, in its size class.

That doesn't mean that anything can be overclocked in it, but the limit is very, very high. I do think that anything you can fit can be adequately cooled at stock. In any case, we will be doing thermal testing soon to better understand exactly how well the enclosure performs, across hardware selection and available configurations. Our goal is to be very prescriptive in terms of what cooling solutions work best for certain component choices.

The guys above explain math, and all of this is before we calculate the case restrictions in, wich it have with all this small holes. I really dig this design, thats why i have shift X wich i am leaving now due zero airflow and push pull would not help much more. Anyway, even if your case have more airflow, i suspect you can get everything cooled with one 280 rad. Maybe you can - on 2000 rpm, wich is not very nice to hear beside your ear.

Putting 5.2 inside - hmm ... You think we really need reservoirs ?? I would rather to see place for fill port and bleed port and thats enough, wich again - would bring some space up there .

Why is no holes on bottom ?? there you should squeze 1x120 at least.

In what way? The DA2 can support ATX power supplies, and their (quite clever) rail system means there's much more granular control of the positioning of components. However, the MachOne is less than 6% larger and has a smaller footprint, while supporting much more hardware - thick radiators, dedicated pump/reservoir units and mATX support put it in a different class entirely.

With DA2 , you can throw components left and right to fit more cooling, with using sff gpu, like zotac 1080 ti mini and available water block for example. You can make sandwich of 3 vents and 2x140 rads with no other components on the way. That is huge advantage.

Your case can not exploit case of using small gpu's wich i think most of people already have or will have.

mATX support is your advantage clearly, but how will someone cool 2x serious vga ?? i doubt it can cool one, let alone 2.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Is it me or does it seem like there is almost space for 60mm push pull?

Can the creators plat with the layout a little to see if this is possible.

Depends on the PCIe riser type and how the cable interferes with a pull fan.

We would like to test the following:
- Noctua Sterrox 120x25mm Push + Noctua Sterrox 120x25mm Pull on 280x45mm radiator
- Noctua Chromax 140x25mm Push + *not sure yet* 140x15mm Pull on 280x55mm radiator

I just need to get a new *angled socket PCie Riser so the cables are not in the way.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Nutty Pumpkin

Minimal Tinkerer
Jun 8, 2018
Love it and your work.

Only recently signed up to this forum but the passion for sff machines is tangible. So tangible that people feel the need to play my/this case is better?

Personally I love the fact we keep getting beautiful small and thoughtful case designs to fit with different requirements and desires.

Seems like a much more refined Cerebeus(X) in terms of design philosophy but from my knowledge it is able to support less hardware (ATX, 4x intake fans, mATX & e-ATX support still within 18L. I’m curious about the transition from Cerebeus to the Mach One.

Reactions: Biowarejak

uniqz

Cable Smoosher
Jun 7, 2018
Delidded 7700K non-OC, 280+240 rad, no GPU, temps are 70C, ambient temperature 22C.
You are saying that your i7 and triple 780 are cooled by 280x60 rad?

No, that is not me, but that guy seems genuine, judging by other stuff he wrote. Also I definately can't find any kind of explaination why your 7700K would run so hot with that system. A normal sized 240 slim AiO can cool that CPU without problems (even without delidding) so how it gets so massively hot is beyond me. I can only assume there is either something wrong with your CPU water block or something else in the loop is not working correctly. Do you have a water temp sensor? Because that is the true indicator of how much a water cooling loop can take. If the heat doesn't get properly transfered to the water in the first place, the CPU will run hot without even scratching the surface of the maximum cooling capacity of the loop. I would expect the water temp at under 10° above room temperature in your case.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
You can fit dual 280mm rad in the Mach One, 280x55mm push-pull in the front, 280x45mm on the side like the M1, but you didn't hear it from me.

I think a case (pun intended) could be made for perforated side panels & the proper bracket for mounting a 280 Phoenix to the side of the chassis...

This would be a Gear One / The Core configuration...

Obviously, both AIOs would need to be drained, have the tubing & fittings redone, & refilled...

QDCs could be retained for ease of servicing the system...

Front 280 AIO for GPU, side 280 AIO for CPU...

Perforations on panel over AIO would be just in the area over the AIO...

Perforations on opposite panel would cover area for a SFX-L PSU intake...

Dust filters for all three intake areas (PSU , front AIO, side AIO)...

Positive pressure system for sure, and maintain the passive exhaust out the back...

I would be thinking of a X470 / Ryzen 2700X / RX Vega 64 build in such a dual AIO system...

isabirov

Average Stuffer
Nov 15, 2017
No, that is not me, but that guy seems genuine, judging by other stuff he wrote. Also I definately can't find any kind of explaination why your 7700K would run so hot with that system. A normal sized 240 slim AiO can cool that CPU without problems (even without delidding) so how it gets so massively hot is beyond me. I can only assume there is either something wrong with your CPU water block or something else in the loop is not working correctly. Do you have a water temp sensor? Because that is the true indicator of how much a water cooling loop can take. If the heat doesn't get properly transfered to the water in the first place, the CPU will run hot without even scratching the surface of the maximum cooling capacity of the loop. I would expect the water temp at under 10° above room temperature in your case.
Actually, you can do simple math to know required surface area to dissipate X amount of heat.
If you use less than required amount then your equilibrium temps will rise.
I don't want my collant temps rise more than 10c delta, so that's why I need at least 3*140 area.
You CAN cool threadripper and volta with single 120 rad, but your water temp should be around 80c ))

uniqz

Cable Smoosher
Jun 7, 2018
Actually, you can do simple math to know required surface area to dissipate X amount of heat.
If you use less than required amount then your equilibrium temps will rise.
I don't want my collant temps rise more than 10c delta, so that's why I need at least 3*140 area.
You CAN cool threadripper and volta with single 120 rad, but your water temp should be around 80c ))

No you can't there are a lot more factors that come into play. Also while the tdp of the cooled components can be used to estimate the heat load - the actual heat load will be less because no water block is even close to 100% efficiency. It would be almost impossible to catch all the heat of a component, and if you would, that component would have the same temperature as the coolant - which it never is in the real world. The fact is, a 280x60mm radiator is fine for a CPU+GPU loop with medium fan speeds and within very reasonable water temperatures. I don't really get the point of you saying it is not enough.

What you personally want for your water temperatures is your thing of course, but unless you plan to use your system in over 40°C ambient temperature, staying below 10° above ambient is not necessary at all. staying below 50° is well within limits of all components. Not that the system showed on computex would reach such temps, I would bet on that. And anyway what temperature is your water at then?

And the temp you said for your CPU is off. Something is not working as intended there and I doubt the temps would change more than 1° if you would delete the 240.

vex_sb

Average Stuffer
May 11, 2018
The fact is, a 280x60mm radiator is fine for a CPU+GPU loop with medium fan speeds and within very reasonable water temperatures. I don't really get the point of you saying it is not enough.

Yeah more factors come into play, biggest is airflow of the case wich is unknown at the point. This holes on the side panel is not looking very breathable and i don't know can i fit some exhaust fans on back.

Your statement that 280 is enough partially true. It is maybe enough with fans on high. But no one here is considering that as "solution" . Sff cases sits next to ear and medium speed fans can pass in full load, not in idle.

jujudk

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 1, 2017
Just seen the video from optimum tech and, oh boy , i fell in love with that case immediately

I'm really looking forward to be able to use it (in the simple micro atx form, and with aircooling)

panzermuffin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 9, 2018
Hey! Just saw the video by OptimumTech and registered here right away!

I'm planning on building an all new PC next year for some light gaming and Lightroom and Photoshop work and really love the SFF.

What I would like to see added to the MachOne is a black version and maybe a hole in the bottom part in the back for cables (just like with the Evolv Shift).

Cheers!

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Elgato HD60S capture card.
oh I see. I was thinking of a more complicated setup (but hopefully more universal), like plugging in a headless DP connector and connecting the laptop directly over LAN and grabbing a stream over. trying to figure something out like NDI and whatnot, but not sure what the latency's like over ethernet after everything, LOL ._.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015

So, watched the above a bunch of times...

And I gotta say, that watercooling layout is AWESOME...

Love how the pump / rez combo & radiator are used to transverse the CPU & GPU chambers...

Definitely makes me rethink the 280 Phoenix AIO & consider a custom loop...

Last edited:
Reactions: TheHig and Kmpkt