The Chimera MachOne: For the pros. Small meets flexible.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Additional MachOne renderings, including with a bare side panel!

@Wahaha360

LOVE the non-windowed side panels...!

Might we get these same renders, but in the planned black finish...?!?

Last edited:

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
What is the rectangle opening in the rear top for? I think there is already a 5.25'' bay for holding a pump/res in the top front already.
I read somewhere that opening could be used as handle to move the case around. This usage alone does not justify the opening.
Anyone knows?

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
What is the rectangle opening in the rear top for? I think there is already a 5.25'' bay for holding a pump/res in the top front already.
I read somewhere that opening could be used as handle to move the case around. This usage alone does not justify the opening.
Anyone knows?
IIRC its a cable pass through for the top I/O

Reactions: tinyitx

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Anyone knows?

IIRC its a cable pass through for the top I/O

Exactly, it is a dual-purpose opening; a pass-thru for the cables from the motherboard I/O & GPU I/O, and it also serves as a carrying handle...

Reactions: tinyitx

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Depends on the PCIe riser type and how the cable interferes with a pull fan.

We would like to test the following:
- Noctua Sterrox 120x25mm Push + Noctua Sterrox 120x25mm Pull on 280x45mm radiator
- Noctua Chromax 140x25mm Push + *not sure yet* 140x15mm Pull on 280x55mm radiator

I just need to get a new *angled socket PCie Riser so the cables are not in the way.

Don't forget, with the Sterrox there is also the thickness of the 120>140 adapter...

As for 140mm slim fans, maybe while talking to Noctua about Threadripper 2 & the NH-U9 you can bum a pair of their prototype NF-A14x15 PWM fans...?

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
- Noctua Sterrox 120x25mm Push + Noctua Sterrox 120x25mm Pull on 280x45mm radiator
Don't forget, with the Sterrox there is also the thickness of the 120>140 adapter...

I'm floating the idea separately of not using the adaptor on the case-mounted side and mounting the fan directly to the case and tether-mounting the radiator to the case with the long screws ._.

then again noctua's prototyping the 140mm sterrox fan, so maybe within a year or two that might be unnecessary...?

Reactions: Boil

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
then again noctua's prototyping the 140mm sterrox fan, so maybe within a year or two that might be unnecessary...?

Maybe by the time they get a 140mm Sterrox to market, they will also figure out how to make the Sterrox line in black (or they could go full GT, and offer black frames with grey fans)...

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Love it and your work.

Only recently signed up to this forum but the passion for sff machines is tangible. So tangible that people feel the need to play my/this case is better?

Personally I love the fact we keep getting beautiful small and thoughtful case designs to fit with different requirements and desires.

The greater the diversity of enclosures, the better we all are as enthusiasts, simple as that. The growth in the SFF category has been wonderful to witness, both as a contributor and as a consumer!

Seems like a much more refined Cerebeus(X) in terms of design philosophy but from my knowledge it is able to support less hardware (ATX, 4x intake fans, mATX & e-ATX support still within 18L. I’m curious about the transition from Cerebeus to the Mach One.

The MachOne is much more comparable to the Cerberus rather than the Cerberus X, both in terms of size and platform. I do not think there will be many folks choosing between the MachOne and the Cerberus X, as the Cerberus X is essentially trying to holistically support full ATX builds within a 'reasonable' size.

There will probably be folks choosing between the MachOne and the Cerberus.

I think a case (pun intended) could be made for perforated side panels & the proper bracket for mounting a 280 Phoenix to the side of the chassis...

We've certainly thought about what support of side-mounting radiators might look like:

I believe Dan has tested and confirmed that this arrangement will work via a modified enclosure he had on hand back home (so not the prototype, though when we dry-run fitment it's clear that something like this fits fine).

Should we support it? Perhaps, but there are some challenges to overcome with the implementation, the least of which is providing the option for a perforated side panel that balances aesthetics, performance, and cost. There are also some quirky tolerance issues with respect to the arrangement of parts, that are a bit hard to solve for as well. (Also, practically speaking, for mATX you could only put a 240 radiator on the side, which is obviously a bit of a bummer since that's the platform you'd need for most HEDT and all Threadripper builds). So suffice it to say that we're thinking about how we might do this, but at this point we probably aren't expecting to, unless we can determine a relatively elegant way to support it.

Yeah more factors come into play, biggest is airflow of the case wich is unknown at the point. This holes on the side panel is not looking very breathable and i don't know can i fit some exhaust fans on back.

We'll be doing some thermal testing as soon as we can. To be honest, speculating on cooling efficacy isn't so informative because of how many factors there are that affect cooling performance; only when we create builds and run tests will we (or anyone) be able to authoritatively determine the performance and cooling characteristics of the enclosure.

We are very confident that the design supports cooling pretty much any stock hardware you can fit inside, but we are not confident of exactly how well it will perform, nor do we know what sort of overclocking headroom there is. Only bench tests will provide those answers.

Is there a projected release date?

Any estimate on release date?

We're targeting sometime in the fall, which is aggressive, but intentionally so. Naturally, as we finish refinements and finalize what parts/variants we offer, we'll update you all with concrete dates and prices.

What I would like to see added to the MachOne is a black version and maybe a hole in the bottom part in the back for cables (just like with the Evolv Shift).

We are planning to offer the MachOne at launch in silver and black, at least.

The location of the cable outlet likely won't change, and we're aware that this is probably the most controversial element of the MachOne's design. For what it's worth, having used and seen it in person for the better part of a week, the awkwardness you might feel about it initially fades away as you get used to using it. I actually like the fact that cables tend to exit the enclosure in one bundle, and it's certainly a lot easier to get to the I/O from the top than from the back.

Still, this is ultimately an aesthetic thing that is a matter of preference; some will be bothered by it, and that's fair and fine.

@Wahaha360

LOVE the non-windowed side panels...!

Might we get these same renders, but in the planned black finish...?!?

How about these?

What is the rectangle opening in the rear top for?

It has three purposes: it acts as a handle; it lets you easily pop the top off (which is secured magnetically); and it acts as the outlet for cables plugged into the 'rear' I/O.

Koolance makes a dual ddc pump setup just incase you need more flow, plus it looks pretty badass. :thumb:

This is almost certainly too deep, as it would conflict with the I/O of the motherboard. That said, any loop inside the MachOne would be tiny, so I think it's safe to say that a multi-pump solution is simply overkill, even if we were to support multi-radiator setups!

Last edited:

wywywywy

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 12, 2016
With the Gear One setup, will I be able to attach fans or SSDs or other things to the rear perforated panel?

jack1940

Average Stuffer
Oct 29, 2017
Actually, I want to say, have you considered other colors? For example, pink will be more popular with women. Who says girls will not be DIY PC? I think the HelloKitty version of MachOne must be interesting.:D

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Actually, I want to say, have you considered other colors? For example, pink will be more popular with women. Who says girls will not be DIY PC? I think the HelloKitty version of MachOne must be interesting.:D
Any active female member in this forum can comment on this one?

Reactions: VegetableStu

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
@PlayfulPhoenix @Wahaha360

Possibility of front panel that has opening for 5 1/4" bay, so one could see the EK reservoir / pump combo...? Maybe even have adjustable mount so it can protrude out a bit to fit flush with front panel...?

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
This is the SFF equivalent of a superhot plus-sized model. I seriously never thought I'd think about building a mATX system, but with this case there's a pretty good chance that will happen. Nice work guys ; )

Any chance you guys will be publishing all case specs anytime soon?

Kooki

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 30, 2016
Has anyone ever tested how the top aluminium panel might interfere with wifi/bluetooth signals from antennas positioned around the I/O pannel?

Just wanted to check this to know if the use of those antennas with extension cables are mandatory.