The Chimera MachOne: For the pros. Small meets flexible.

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
It's definitely quiet. The best part about Noctua fans is that they don't have any odd fan sounds -it's a very pleasant and subtle whir.

I'm testing several hardware configurations, heat sinks, and case orientations and so far I am pleased to say that this case, even with a single radiator, can handle any hardware that you throw at it.

I will be testing the x399m in the MachOne. Unfortunately the sample we received from ASRock was DOA.

lawney

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 28, 2018
It's definitely quiet. The best part about Noctua fans is that they don't have any odd fan sounds -it's a very pleasant and subtle whir.

I'm testing several hardware configurations, heat sinks, and case orientations and so far I am pleased to say that this case, even with a single radiator, can handle any hardware that you throw at it.

I will be testing the x399m in the MachOne. Unfortunately the sample we received from ASRock was DOA.

I'll be most interested to see how the NH-U9 TR4 performs with the convoluted airflow path around the gpu. There will be so much positive pressure in this case, that I doubt it'll be an issue, but it will be interesting. Is there a 92mm exhaust mount beside the mobo i/o? (If you're at liberty to discuss).

Bounou

Caliper Novice
Aug 2, 2018
Seeing as we are now into August I wanted to check if the timeline of September to December for release had changed at all?

Thanks!

heady

Minimal Tinkerer
Aug 2, 2018
If I'm thinking about this right and some of the previous comments apply, fitting a single 280x45mm rad with push+pull should be plenty cooling to keep things quiet with ∆ambient<25C. I don't really see justification for dual rads given the compromises... One would want to have the rad set as intake though, is there room for exhaust fans anywhere with an mATX board and front 280mm rad setup? Maybe it's just my brain on a late Friday but I don't seem to see it anywhere in the specs

EDIT:
One thing I noticed is that it's said support up to 280mm rads, but the EK-MLC Phoenix is listed in supported gear, but the Phoenix is in fact 335 mm tall (the pump is on the bottom of the rad), will it still fit?

Last edited:

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
If I'm thinking about this right and some of the previous comments apply, fitting a single 280x45mm rad with push+pull should be plenty cooling to keep things quiet with ∆ambient<25C. I don't really see justification for dual rads given the compromises... One would want to have the rad set as intake though, is there room for exhaust fans anywhere with an mATX board and front 280mm rad setup? Maybe it's just my brain on a late Friday but I don't seem to see it anywhere in the specs

EDIT:
One thing I noticed is that it's said support up to 280mm rads, but the EK-MLC Phoenix is listed in supported gear, but the Phoenix is in fact 335 mm tall (the pump is on the bottom of the rad), will it still fit?

Dual rads is an option with the Gear 3 setup, but I think airflow would be restricted...?

You can only use a 240 radiator in the front when using a mATX motherboard...

When you see a reference to a 280 radiator, it is usually refering to the rad having two 140mm sections of rad cooling, aka 280, the overall dimensions of a 280 rad will be larger than 280mm in length...

The EK 280 Phoenix will fit, almost like the chassis was designed for it or something...

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015

My mistake...!

Nothing reliable right now, I don’t want to release until I get some components that are not available right now.

Effectively, there is no point releasing a case that cannot cool new components effectively or support some new products coming up.

What, pray tell, would these components be...?

Threadripper 2...? And...?

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
GTX Turing/Ampere?

EDIT: speaking of Threadripper 2, any word if the Asrock X399M would support the highest two WX CPUs, or would there be a refresh?

dysys

Minimal Tinkerer
Aug 6, 2018
Wow I got so excited for this I had to sign up to the forum. Brilliant work! Can't wait.

Hear, hear.. Another sign-up just to follow progress on this project. I'm loving the design and cant wait for something to be available for sale. I've spent too many evenings trying to plan how to take as many of my existing, full-size components into a smaller form factor PC (notably for the love of it challenge rather than any real need) and the market has so few options for the small footprint tower. AFAIK they tend to not allow a 280mm radiator, or have restricted PSU sizes - like the Phanteks Shift. I hope the pipes on my Corsair h115 aren't going to restrict the fitting in here :)

Has anyone ordered similar projects to this from the UK and understand the shipping and import tax premiums associated?

lawney

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 28, 2018
GTX Turing/Ampere?

EDIT: speaking of Threadripper 2, any word if the Asrock X399M would support the highest two WX CPUs, or would there be a refresh?

It's my understanding that the ASRock boards had among the best power delivery the original x399 motherboards. And the X399M maintained the same power delivery of its big brothers. 11-phases apparently (edit: actually 8 + 3). It certainly has enough going for it to run the 2990WX at stock anyway, and I doubt you're going to be pushing the WX chips too hard in the Mach One.

Asus is not updating their X399 Zenith Extreme, and rather just releasing a VRM fan kit and an extra heat.

Last edited: