The Chimera MachOne: For the pros. Small meets flexible.

lawney

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 28, 2018
Also, does pressurization/depressurization cause issues with air in loops or loosen fittings?

If I’m traveling with any kind of workstation meant for work, air cooling all the way. Light and reliable.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
3lfk1ng had the prototype since Monday, he is doing thermal testing now. so ask him for temps.

I have prototype 2 deisgn spec ready, but I want to wait for him to confirm a few things before I proceed.

I recently started this thread - Help - PC + NAS + eGPU all-in-one build, I'm trying to get a Synology DS416slim into the Mach One, so I may have to add some mounting holes for additional motherboard.

It's moving along, not lingering. I practically sleep less than 5 hours lately.

Last edited:

lawney

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 28, 2018
3lfk1ng had the prototype since Monday, he is doing thermal testing now. so ask him for temps.

I have prototype 2 deisgn spec ready, but I want to wait for him to confirm a few things before I proceed.

I recently started this thread - Help - PC + NAS + eGPU all-in-one build, I'm trying to get a Synology DS416slim into the Mach One, so I may have to add some mounting holes for additional motherboard.

It's moving along, not lingering. I practically sleep less than 5 hours lately.

Where would the Synology mobo fit in the case and in which configurations? Sounds very interesting and useful.

Reactions: Biowarejak

lawney

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 28, 2018
I need to buy and prob break a Synology NAS first, I will let you guys know when I have a resolution or failure...lol

I was doing a little research on the 416slim. It’s pretty cool. No teardowns, but internal shots are clear.

Would the backplane be integrated? The steel rails for the drives? Or just the mobo (if possible), plus a custom mounting solution (like what caselabs has for ssds)?

Thoughts about powering the unit? Holes to run ethernet outside the case and into the rear/i/o?

And what is the use case in a travel setting?

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
I was doing a little research on the 416slim. It’s pretty cool. No teardowns, but internal shots are clear.

Would the backplane be integrated? The steel rails for the drives? Or just the mobo (if possible), plus a custom mounting solution (like what caselabs has for ssds)?

Thoughts about powering the unit? Holes to run ethernet outside the case and into the rear/i/o?

And what is the use case in a travel setting?

The 416slim is SFF NAS. You can see the internal board on this review.

The current plan mounting the NAS motherboard via a PCIe slot, cable out to a 4x 2.5" bracket, custom power supply by G-Unique.

I have these small team meetings where I like to share some data, but not over the cloud. Effectively, instead of carrying a PC and a NAS, I rather just use one enclosure. Aside from M.2 used for my PC, the 2.5" SSDs will become the drives for the NAS over network.

lawney

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 28, 2018
The 416slim is SFF NAS. You can see the internal board on this review.

The current plan mounting the NAS motherboard via a PCIe slot, cable out to a 4x 2.5" bracket, custom power supply by G-Unique.

I have these small team meetings where I like to share some data, but not over the cloud. Effectively, instead of carrying a PC and a NAS, I rather just use one enclosure. Aside from M.2 used for my PC, the 2.5" SSDs will become the drives for the NAS over network.

Would this only be mountable in config 2 or 3, and mounted to the back of the mobo tray?

If it were to work in config 1, would be a good reason to have 5xPCIe case slots.

Would you be touting this as an official feature/selling the custom power supply as an add-on? And would there need to be custom cables going from the mobo to the drives (as no backplane),

Hope it doesn’t add too much time to the project, but I’d likely implement this in my planned build if it fits. Would be cool for just small apartments even as a media nas.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Would this only be mountable in config 2 or 3, and mounted to the back of the mobo tray?

If it were to work in config 1, would be a good reason to have 5xPCIe case slots.

Would you be touting this as an official feature/selling the custom power supply as an add-on? And would there need to be custom cables going from the mobo to the drives (as no backplane),

Hope it doesn’t add too much time to the project, but I’d likely implement this in my planned build if it fits. Would be cool for just small apartments even as a media nas.

Gear 1, 2 implementation will be the same, mATX board and PCI slot.

Gear 3 is possible as well, instead of GPU behind mobo, it’s NAS on PCIe card mounting.

This is not an official feature, because technically, any one with spare GPU slots can theortically do the same. As an add-on kit for those in need, maybe, not sure yet.

My gripes with DS416slim is the 1gbe, the speed is not exciting. If you were to take a internal USB header from mobo and connect to the NAS via USB3.0, that’s better, but not 10gbe. I’m factoring the space needed for the eventual release of the next gen DS418slim or whatever the new model, if it has dual 10gbe, I can work those speed.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
they don't seem to be too hot on updating the ds4xx slim stack ._. even drobo discontinued the 2.5"-disk-only mini

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
New Also, does pressurization/depressurization cause issues with air in loops or loosen fittings?
For AIOs, it's not an issue. They can ship via air freight, so can handle the pressure cycle no problem (the hold on a passenger flight is pressurised just as the passenger cabin is, just mostly unheated). Custom loops should be OK if there is some air headspace to deal with the small amount of expansion/contraction.
Temperature may be an issue though. AIOs use antifreeze-heavy fluids so aren't affected, but if you're running near straight water in your loop that may freeze if transported in the hold rather than the cabin, and that could be very bad indeed.

Theinnocent

Efficiency Noob
Feb 26, 2018
You guys really need to run full load at 750RPM and <10C above ambient huh.

In Gear 1, 2, 3, the space can be used for 3.5" HDD or 120/140 radiator + Fan. I will reveal when I have more time to make pictures.

Earlier, it was mentioned that there was a space that would allow for an additional 120mm/140mm radiator. Where would that be?

Reactions: Biowarejak

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
they don't seem to be too hot on updating the ds4xx slim stack ._. even drobo discontinued the 2.5"-disk-only mini
Which is why I'm considering supporting Mini ITX + Micro-STX so people can make their DIY NAS.

well slap my mouth o_o this happened:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13109/synology-2018-nas-and-wifi-lineup-sneak-peek

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
I have to do something with G-UNIQ guryhwa for Aug and Sep, Mach One is on hold for a bit. I been planning a collaboration with G-UNIQ since 2017, it's go time and it will suck up all of my free time.

3lfk1ng is prob 50% done with prototype 1 testing. Testing highlight so far:

• temps are surprisingly good
  • Sterrox 120mm fans performed better than Chromax 140mm with EK CE280 (280x45mm)
  • most setup will be fine on *single 280x45mm radiator at 16FPI push only
  • likes modularity (every part could be upgraded without a whole new case)
  • likes the look and looks expensive
  • don't like 1mm SECC on the inside, too thin (upgrading to 1.5mm aluminum on prototype 2)
* Custom 22FPI EK CE280 on push-pull planned for prototype 2 testing, be a while for these numbers

The new TR2 is around the corner, we need to find someone with 2990X for prototype 2 testing.

I will revisit the project with fresh eyes in October, double check everything before prototype 2.

Last edited:

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
According to my Meterk Mk09, ambient dB is measured in my garage at 41.0db.

The dB measurements of the computer are measured at a distance of 2' or 61cm.

Talking from that same distance, it's measuring ~65db.

Reactions: Phuncz

lawney

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 28, 2018
That sounds completely reasonable then, I’m not worried unless there were some weird turbulence issue or odd whistling.

Pretty bummed to hear the case development is on hiatus, but I will continue to watch this space. Hope it takes off like a rocket come October.

As for the internal SECC skeleton, thanks for being critical and not settling. Thicker aluminum sounds awesome.

I have X399M and am on the fence about upgrading to Threadripper 2, might wait for 7nm instead. But if I were to, I’d be happy to do some testing.

Last edited: