The Chimera MachOne: For the pros. Small meets flexible.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
What does the top i/o look like in config 1? (i.e. air cooled matx)

Power button?

What were your thoughts about extra i/o as an add-on? I am confused about that.

Will be revealed soon, have a neat idea, but until I can execute properly, might as well be nothing.

What is the max air cooler height in config 1? (NH-U12S? or only NH-U9S?)

The max CPU air cooler height in Gear 1 is 145mm.

It will fit the Noctua U9S (tested), Noctua C12 (with perforated side panel), I'm using the Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi in my photos above, the Thermalright True Spirit 120.

How many 3.5" can be mounted on the bottom front in config 1 before GPU interference? Or planned for at all?

I'm still refining the structure, so until that is done, 3.5" support will not be finalized.

And if you can manage 5 pcie slots, that would be amazing, and would be a great help for daughter cards in a workstation setting, such as high end video i/o from aja/blackmagic/etc (great for traveling professionals).

There is only 4 PCIe Slots on most Micro-ATX boards, but you can use m.2 to PCIE for a 5th PCie slot in Gear 1, but you will sacrifice dual 140mm fans in the front, not sure it's really worth it atm.

nostyle

Caliper Novice
Jun 13, 2018
Sorry if this has already been asked/answered. If a power supply was sacrificed and a g-unique one used instead would that free up space for an extra radiator? Cheers

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Sorry if this has already been asked/answered. If a power supply was sacrificed and a g-unique one used instead would that free up space for an extra radiator? Cheers

I suppose one could mod the chassis to place a single 120mm radiator where the SFX (SFX-L) PSU goes...

But then you add overall system volume with an external power brick...

The chassis has one main radiator mount; in the front, for either 240 or 280 radiators...

There may be an upgrade kit for mounting another radiator (again, either 240 or 280) on the right side (over the motherboard)...

The side mount radiator kit would be available for the Gear 1 configuration, but not the Gear 2 or Gear 3 configurations...

I see no real upside to ditching the SFX PSU for an external brick & g-unique unit...

lawney

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 28, 2018
There is only 4 PCIe Slots on most Micro-ATX boards, but you can use m.2 to PCIE for a 5th PCie slot in Gear 1, but you will sacrifice dual 140mm fans in the front, not sure it's really worth it atm.

I am more curious about the potential of having a 5th expansion bay on the case so that the 4th pci-e slot on the motherboard can accommodate a dual-slot card in the bottom pci-e slot (such as a second GPU, or a video I/O card such as the BlackMagic DeckLink Extreme which has a daughter card, or even some sound cards).

See DeckLink Extreme here:

Thank you for your response. Very excited for news to come.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
I wonder if a custom 280x45mm 30FPI radiator with push and pull be better than running two radiator in the case?

It’s basically two Koolance 280x30mm 30FPI radiators combined in one housing.

Last edited:

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
Maybe a dumb question, but what's the advantage of having the layout rotated 90 degrees? Seems to me if you'd just done a standard orientation with the fans in the front, you could have still had front-to-back airflow, everything still in the same place, except you'd extend one dimension at the expense of the other. And then you'd have standard rear I/O without all of this wasted space on top, so you could shave 2-3L off the volume. Also, airflow to the CPU wouldn't be as impeded by the graphics card. I'm trying to understand the rationale for this orientation.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Maybe a dumb question, but what's the advantage of having the layout rotated 90 degrees? Seems to me if you'd just done a standard orientation with the fans in the front, you could have still had front-to-back airflow, everything still in the same place, except you'd extend one dimension at the expense of the other. And then you'd have standard rear I/O without all of this wasted space on top, so you could shave 2-3L off the volume. Also, airflow to the CPU wouldn't be as impeded by the graphics card. I'm trying to understand the rationale for this orientation.

I increased total volume in exchange for a smaller foot print on my desk - I have a preference for less foot print.

lawney

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 28, 2018
It should also allow for longer cards, particularly workstation gpus that have power on the end, right?

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
So it would comfortably fit a WX9100 or SSG (plus end cables) which are 267mm, but would eliminate 3.5” hard drives. Not a problem for a portable build. Awesome!

No full-cover water block for either of those cards (plus the issue that they are blower cards, which will be blowing up into a somewhat enclosed space?), but there are full-cover blocks for the Vega FE cards (so one can still have that sweet 16GB of HBM2)...

lawney

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 28, 2018
No full-cover water block for either of those cards (plus the issue that they are blower cards, which will be blowing up into a somewhat enclosed space?), but there are full-cover blocks for the Vega FE cards (so one can still have that sweet 16GB of HBM2)...

I’m more interested in an air-cooled matx threadripper build. As for gpu cooling, you have front panel fans just inches away. I think it’ll be more than well fed with fresh air, and possibly ideal if turbulence isn’t an issue. Also, remember those workstation cards are well-binned and are rated for 250w instead of 300w (not that I’ll be buying one this generation, but it’s nice to consider and have the option).

But you bring up a good point about exhaust. Hopefully we’ll see a safe way to exhaust hot air out the top of the case without having to remove the top panel. Is this being considered? Because trapping all that hot air under the top panel sounds like a serious hazard.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
I’m more interested in an air-cooled matx threadripper build. As for gpu cooling, you have front panel fans just inches away. I think it’ll be more than well fed with fresh air, and possibly ideal if turbulence isn’t an issue. Also, remember those workstation cards are well-binned and are rated for 250w instead of 300w (not that I’ll be buying one this generation, but it’s nice to consider and have the option).

But you bring up a good point about exhaust. Hopefully we’ll see a safe way to exhaust hot air out the top of the case without having to remove the top panel. Is this being considered? Because trapping all that hot air under the top panel sounds like a serious hazard.

Oh, for sure plenty of air in from the front feeding right to the GPU(s), but CrossFire WX9100s & a 32-core / 64-thread ThreadRipper2 is gonna tax even an 800 watt Silverstone SFX-L PSU...

Maybe an optional perforated top panel, for venting blower GPUs...?!?

ATTWIFI

Chassis Packer
Jun 7, 2018
At this point, I pretty much gave up on buying the Mach One, not because it is inherently bad, but for my purposes, it simply won't work with the budget I have (I wanted it with the 32 core Threadripper and water cooling, exceeding $4000) and the weight requirements I want to satisfy (5 kg. or 11 lbs for one bagging as a carry on), but I will definitely follow this thread just because the case is one hell of a beauty, and the possibilities with MATX.

(I am probably going to use a S4M as a NAS and gaming machine with unRAID)

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
At this point, I pretty much gave up on buying the Mach One, not because it is inherently bad, but for my purposes, it simply won't work with the budget I have (I wanted it with the 32 core Threadripper and water cooling, exceeding $4000) and the weight requirements I want to satisfy (5 kg. or 11 lbs for one bagging as a carry on), but I will definitely follow this thread just because the case is one hell of a beauty, and the possibilities with MATX.

(I am probably going to use a S4M as a NAS and gaming machine with unRAID)

It's very rare for WC setup to be within carry-on weight. Even with the M1 or Ghost S1, prob not happening.

The only option is really air cooling.

If airline had to weight every carry-on, I don't think any flight will leave on time.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
slight off topic: when/where do they usually say the "sorry sir/ma'am you have to check in your bag"? because check-in doesn't weigh carry-ons that don't look the part, and security x-rays don't check either i think o_o

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
slight off topic: when/where do they usually say the "sorry sir/ma'am you have to check in your bag"? because check-in doesn't weigh carry-ons that don't look the part, and security x-rays don't check either i think o_o
I think I've seen that happen at the terminal

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015

I think I've seen that happen at the terminal

In the US, they def randomly check before boarding if staff think your carry-on might be overweight.

This is also why the Wallye Duffle is not the maximum carry-on size (45L) l, it sends visual signal that the bag is above weight limit.