The Chimera MachOne: For the pros. Small meets flexible.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015

Another reason for the delay - I'm trying to see if the Synology 4 bay can be mounted inside the M1 and Mach One...lol

It would nice if Synology made a modular kits that can be fitted into cases.

lawney

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 28, 2018
You know how workstation graphics cards that have the metal sled attachment on the end of the card that allows it to securely slot into workstation chassis? And I believe the reference Polaris cards had screw holes for this as well. I wonder if that standardized length would fit the Mach One. Might only need a very small slotted piece screwed to the bottom of the case. I suppose that could be easily 3D printed or machined by the end user. But how cool would that be for travel?

I know that's probably a step too far for this project, and in all likelihood would be too long for this case anyway, but I just wanted to throw it out there as an idea.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
You know how workstation graphics cards that have the metal sled attachment on the end of the card that allows it to securely slot into workstation chassis? And I believe the reference Polaris cards had screw holes for this as well. I wonder if that standardized length would fit the Mach One. Might only need a very small slotted piece screwed to the bottom of the case. I suppose that could be easily 3D printed or machined by the end user. But how cool would that be for travel?

I know that's probably a step too far for this project, and in all likelihood would be too long for this case anyway, but I just wanted to throw it out there as an idea.

my Quadro has this bracket, I agree on the purpose, mostly for GPU sag and minimizing movement when you are moving it around, I’ll think about it adding the holes if I can.

Reactions: Sashby and lawney

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
So do we think it could be 2019 before we see this available now?

I’m waiting for parts, so it’s kind of out of our control atm.

I don’t want to prototype until we get new components:
- RTX 2080TI by 3lfk1ng
- RTX Quadro
- XSPC TX240 radiator
- custom res/pump combo

We might CNC some parts of the case as a collaboration with 3feetcat.

I know waiting and uncertainly sucks, but incompatibility sucks more, I like to think it’s lesser of the 2 evil.

Last edited:

atomicus

Trash Compacter
Aug 7, 2018
I’m waiting for parts, so it’s kind of out of our control atm.

I don’t want to prototype until we get new components:
- RTX 2080TI by @3lfk1ng
- RTX Quadro
- XSPX TX240 radiator
- custom res/pump combo

We might CNC some parts of the case as a collaboration with @3feetcat.

I know waiting and uncertainly sucks, but incompatibility sucks more, I like to think it’s lesser of the 2 evil.

Well I like the sound of that as I'm waiting on 2080 cards myself (and reviews of course lol), and that rad also got my interest. You can fit bigger in the Chimera I know, but are you proposing a combo with that and a custom res/pump? That does sound interesting... can you share any more info on that? Will it be an acrylic flat style with a D5 housing or some sort? Radikult Custom does something similar, and I've seen a few people use his work in SFF builds.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Well I like the sound of that as I'm waiting on 2080 cards myself (and reviews of course lol), and that rad also got my interest.

You can thank @3lfk1ng for the 2080TI testing, all you brave souls buying before reviews, I salute you guys.

In the current Gear 1, most of the bigger 2080TI cards, like EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 and Asus STRIX 2080 are fine.
In the current Gear 2, it has the same GPU size tolerance as Gear 1, no issue really.
In the current Gear 3, since it's really for WC, it's a non-issue b/c WC blocks are far shorter and smaller than open cooler cars.

You can fit bigger in the Chimera I know, but are you proposing a combo with that and a custom res/pump? That does sound interesting... can you share any more info on that? Will it be an acrylic flat style with a D5 housing or some sort? Radikult Custom does something similar, and I've seen a few people use his work in SFF builds.

If you look at the regular Cerberus radiator support, dual 240x30 radiator is about *two 240x120x20mm of actual core, so 1152 cm^3 of radiator core volume (2*24*12*2cm). If I were to add the XSPC TX240 on the top of the Mach One *in addition to 280x30mm radiator in the front, I should have 1072cm^3 of radiator core (28*14*2+24*12*1cm).

The benefit is that I can be within 10% of the regular Cerberus radiator cooling volume and keep the current window.

I'm trying to get the XSPC TX240 and hack my way to mounting it on the top of the current prototype for testing purpose.

The pump/res combo is not finalized, but i'm looking for a DDC pump/res that can fit within 92x92x60mm on the motherboard. This way it can used by other cases as well.

JDragon

Average Stuffer
Aug 22, 2018
Glad to see that a space gray is in the works! Definitely will be getting one of those once the case is ready for launch.

Regarding the different gear options - will the retail version support all 3 layouts out of the box, or will additional components need to be bought to support the different layouts?

Reactions: lawney

lawney

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 28, 2018
Vive just announced their wireless adapter. It requires an extra pcie slot, which means micro-atx just found an important niche. And the MachOne just became even more relevant. Bifurcation is the only other option for a small vr gaming rig w/wireless.

I’m considering two of these cases, now.

lawney

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 28, 2018
That may be, but someone needs to tell the mobo manufacturers lol!

The MachOne was the hottest case at CES, all the youtube channels and sites were talking about it. If cases like it are made, boards will follow. I mean, we have an X399 Matx board, so that’s something. Now we just need an AM4 board...

Also, with the possibility that Nvidia will support one gpu per eye in vr, matx seems like an awfully cool form factor.

Last edited:

atomicus

Trash Compacter
Aug 7, 2018
The MachOne was the hottest case at CES, all the youtube channels and sites were talking about it. If cases like it are made, boards will follow. I mean, we have an X399 Matx board, so that’s something. Now we just need an AM4 board...

Also, with the possibility that Nvidia will support one gpu per eye in vr, matx seems like an awfully cool form factor.

I hope so. I went with ITX for Ryzen 2 as there were no M-ATX boards available. I'd certainly like to see more released in the future.

raldian

Chassis Packer
Sep 5, 2018
First of all, what a great case and probably my dream case.
I have a question though regarding gear two layout with micro atx board. From the layout example for gear two on page 1, i see that the PSU is on vertical orientation and it seems like the PSU is blocking the motherboard? Will this layout be possible? Or is this simply a mistake in drawing? I read this thread from page 1 until here and didn't see explanation for this (well, sorry if i miss something about this).

lawney

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 28, 2018
First of all, what a great case and probably my dream case.
I have a question though regarding gear two layout with micro atx board. From the layout example for gear two on page 1, i see that the PSU is on vertical orientation and it seems like the PSU is blocking the motherboard? Will this layout be possible? Or is this simply a mistake in drawing? I read this thread from page 1 until here and didn't see explanation for this (well, sorry if i miss something about this).

I believe the psu will lay flat. I see what [you] mean from the technical drawings however. Would you build microatx with a gear 2 layout over gear 1?

Last edited:

raldian

Chassis Packer
Sep 5, 2018
I believe the psu will lay flat. I see what toy mean from the technical drawings however. Would you build microatx with a gear 2 layout over gear 1?

From what i see on layout example, If the PSU stay flat, it will interfere with GPU? This is why i'm confused.
The reason for going gear 2 is because i want to use AIO 240 to cool CPU and use 2.5 slot GPU, this can't be done on gear 1 right?

Inndee

Chassis Packer
Apr 5, 2018
I'm looking forward to the temp results you get with the 7900x/GPU on water with the bitspower block since those are the parts I want to use. The case is beautiful by the way. I love what you did with Necere's original concept (why does it seem like yall don't get along?).

I'm hoping the power button will be an elegant solution to match the rest of the look. I'm thinking something like a touch sensor power switch with a single white led? That would look dope af and it would actually be a modern step forward to the push button power switches we have now imo.

Fingers crossed that this thing is released in 2018.

MoarCoffeePlzzz

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 2, 2015
Just getting caught up in this thread.

Would love to see some sort of offered configuration for a bottom fan like the Silverstone FT series have. Maybe this has been answered but I havent read through all 24 pages thus far.

Is this going to be an immediate ship or pre-order?

Also - Aquacomputer makes Rad/Pump/Res configs. Would love to use a high quality product like this. Will there be enough room in the case to use one of these?

Last edited: