The Chimera MachOne: For the pros. Small meets flexible.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WANT TO DO, LOL

EDIT: dammit, my machine handed over the entire session to the MBP when I use Windows Remote Desktop, LOL ._. I should be looking into display casting

EDIT!!!: Figured it out!!!! NDI Tools!! NDI Scan Converter on source machine, NDI Studio Monitor on monitor machine, set GPU source!!! ALMOST ZERO LATENCY!!!

missing cursor though

Last edited:

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Has anyone ever tested how the top aluminium panel might interfere with wifi/bluetooth signals from antennas positioned around the I/O pannel?

For production, the top panel will most likely be black tinted tempered glass. Solves the problem of connectivity.

So will we be able to choose either the tempered glass or the aluminum panel?

Maybe an option for a milk white or frosted glass top to pair with black exterior panels...?

And will the glass tops also be held in place by magnets, as the current aluminium one is...?

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Honestly, the design is minimal enough, it would look good. Do a limited run of beige, autographed by the creators. Sell for $9999.99. I would buy it, because beige. Not actually that much.

And then have asrock make me a green x299 board...

Reactions: cmyk78

McSpain

Trash Compacter
Jun 8, 2018
Is the case going to be available in bare or anodized aluminium? I have an idea of re-anodizing it in red with some gold elements/details on the inside...

Reactions: Saudsvartur

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
@PlayfulPhoenix @Wahaha360

What is the clearance behind the motherboard when in a Gear Three configuration...?

Wondering if there is enough clearance for using the EKWB M.2 NVMe SSD heatsink on a backside mounted M.2 drive (yet still allow some airflow over / around said heatsink)...?

Last edited:

iksretep

Trash Compacter
Oct 21, 2016
Congrats on a release, this is a gorgeous looking case. I have two questions;

- can you install two 240mm AIOs? I currently run two 120mm AIOs in my M1 to keep both GPU and CPU cool and quiet, and "maintenance free".

- how does it look with cables plugged in, better yet display port cable? I haven't "met" a very flexible one yet, and since most of them (all?) have the release latch there isn't much room for flex since the plug is long/tall. Would you care to demo/photo with cables plugged to both mobo and GPU?

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
can you install two 240mm AIOs? I currently run two 120mm AIOs in my M1 to keep both GPU and CPU cool and quiet, and "maintenance free".

It would depend on the ones you pick, but you should be able to!

how does it look with cables plugged in, better yet display port cable? I haven't "met" a very flexible one yet, and since most of them (all?) have the release latch there isn't much room for flex since the plug is long/tall. Would you care to demo/photo with cables plugged to both mobo and GPU?

@Wahaha360 has the prototype so I will have to defer to him for photos. But we intentionally designed the MachOne to have enough clearance for bulky plugs and thick cables, so I think beyond the most egregious examples out there you shouldn't have much trouble.

Reactions: Kooki and iksretep

iksretep

Trash Compacter
Oct 21, 2016
It would depend on the ones you pick, but you should be able to!

@Wahaha360 has the prototype so I will have to defer to him for photos. But we intentionally designed the MachOne to have enough clearance for bulky plugs and thick cables, so I think beyond the most egregious examples out there you shouldn't have much trouble.

That's very good news for me. Can't wait for more!

wovie

Trash Compacter
Aug 18, 2015
I'm usually a fan of black cases, but that silver is looking sleek!

So I'm in the Gear One camp and my main concern about this would be airflow, specifically to the CPU. It seems like there could potentially be an issue with sufficient intake - the GPU might obstruct front fans, and the bottom fan depends on the height of the standoffs. But of course, the beauty of this case is the options it presents: using a riser to move the GPU out of the way, or simply slapping on an AIO CPU cooler.

prava

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 21, 2017
1 GPU slot.

Quick question.

What is the version of the three to pick up if I want to use an oversized graphics card? Currently using a GTX1080 STRIX and that thing is pretty much as big as it gets.

Is said version compatible with a 240mm AIO?

And lastly... WHEN?

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
can you install two 240mm AIOs? I currently run two 120mm AIOs in my M1 to keep both GPU and CPU cool and quiet, and "maintenance free".

For WC both CPU and GPU, Gear 3 (shown at Computex) is really the way to go. A 280x60mm Push Pull will likely perform better than two 240x30mm AIO anyways, and less tubing to deal with.

If we offer dual radiator mounting, it will probably be an upgrade kit.

how does it look with cables plugged in, better yet display port cable? I haven't "met" a very flexible one yet, and since most of them (all?) have the release latch there isn't much room for flex since the plug is long/tall. Would you care to demo/photo with cables plugged to both mobo and GPU?

These photos should help:

Reactions: Phuncz

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Two EK-MLC Phoenix 240 rads is not possible, right?

Why not *one EK-MLC Phoenix 240 and a 240x45mm radiator? You really need two pumps in such a small case?

If you really want the extra water pressure, maybe a single DDC like the prototype shown at Computex.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
I'm usually a fan of black cases, but that silver is looking sleek!

So I'm in the Gear One camp and my main concern about this would be airflow, specifically to the CPU. It seems like there could potentially be an issue with sufficient intake - the GPU might obstruct front fans, and the bottom fan depends on the height of the standoffs. But of course, the beauty of this case is the options it presents: using a riser to move the GPU out of the way, or simply slapping on an AIO CPU cooler.

If you are running *one dual slot GPU in Gear 1, there is 46mm gap between the back of the fan and the GPU shroud. That should be more enough gap to allow for air to flow.

If you are running *two dual slot GPU, I'm inclined to tell people to go for Gear 2 or Gear 3.

Last edited: