The Chimera MachOne: For the pros. Small meets flexible.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Quick question.

What is the version of the three to pick up if I want to use an oversized graphics card? Currently using a GTX1080 STRIX and that thing is pretty much as big as it gets.

Is said version compatible with a 240mm AIO?

And lastly... WHEN?

Long time.

The Strix will be fine in all 3 gears.

Gear 1 is basically the M1 standing up. It will support all GPU compatible with the M1 and some taller GPUs.

Gear 2 and 3 is optimized for water cooling the CPU. But GPU compatibility should not be an issue.

prava

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 21, 2017
Long time.

The Strix will be fine in all 3 gears.

Gear 1 is basically the M1 standing up. It will support all GPU compatible with the M1 and some taller GPUs.

Gear 2 and 3 is optimized for water cooling the CPU. But GPU compatibility should not be an issue.

Long time? C'mon be a bit more specific. 18 months?

Darthbaggins

Caliper Novice
Jun 3, 2018
Two EK-MLC Phoenix 240 rads is not possible, right?

My guess is you would have to go with a single 240mm/280mm rad by the looks of space and mounting options. Personally that should be enough anyway unless you're OC'ing components, even then it can be done but you will have higher temps and not be able to run as silent as one would want with a build/case like this.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
My guess is you would have to go with a single 240mm/280mm rad by the looks of space and mounting options. Personally that should be enough anyway unless you're OC'ing components, even then it can be done but you will have higher temps and not be able to run as silent as one would want with a build/case like this.

If you look at the charts above from this this review, even at 750RPM, I don't see 95W CPU (8700K) + 180W GPU (GTX 1080) being an issue, even with moderate OC.

The only question is what happens when you OC 160W CPU and 250W GPU. I will be overlocking my 7900X and Titan XP in the following weeks to find out. I have the same radiator and the equivalent Noctua fans.

Based on the results, I will decide if dual radiators upgrade kit is really necessary.

Darthbaggins

Caliper Novice
Jun 3, 2018
Yeah cooling the Enthusiast line of CPU's is definitely a different monster to deal with. So far my 6900k isn't too bad, as I'm only using a single EK PE360 to cool it and a 1080Ti that are both OC'ed lightly (due to only running a 760w PSU)

ChrisMCP

Trash Compacter
Jun 16, 2018
So where is the power button? :)

Also, will the upper compartment be separated from the rest at the io line? What I mean is, the back IO is now exposed and there is no way to fix the back io mobo plate.... (some mobos like evga stinger need the plate to attach the wifi antennas).

Also if the upper chamber is not separated, the blower type cards, like FE, will be dumping the hot air right inside the case...

prava

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 21, 2017

If you look at the charts above from this this review, even at 750RPM, I don't see 95W CPU (8700K) + 180W GPU (GTX 1080) being an issue, even with moderate OC.

The only question is what happens when you OC 160W CPU and 250W GPU. I will be overlocking my 7900X and Titan XP in the following weeks to find out. I have the same radiator and the equivalent Noctua fans.

Based on the results, I will decide if dual radiators upgrade kit is really necessary.

Keep in mind that you aren't likely to load BOTH cpu and gpu at the same time, or at least not under normal usage (normal being gaming or rendering, for instance, which are instances that mainly load one part of the equation). And also, it is expected that if you plan to run a lot of shit under a double radiator you will need powerful fans. That is expected. 1300rpm for a 280mm with a 7900x and a Titan XP make no sense at all. You will need 2k rpm to cope with that, which will give you much, much better cooling capacity.

BTW, those graphs are with a 10ºC Delta. A higher Delta will give you higher heat dissipated. Even at 20ºC the graphics card will be superbly cooled. Just look at what happens whenever you have half a decent water cooling and put a gpu under water: they hardly go over 50-55ºC. Even 70-75ºC is more than acceptable (though I'd wager you would never get those temperatures under water).

All in all, so long as you only load one part of your system at once a single 280mm radiator with 2000rpm fans is more than enough for whatever you want to throw in there. Keep in mind that in a small system you have 2 parameters and only can get one. So pick your poison: you either have the cooling capacity with a noisy system or it is silent but you don't have the cooling capacity.

PS: a single 280mm rad is almost as big as a 360mm is. And you can pretty much ran anything sans dual gpus on a 360mm. Just crank up the fans and be done with it, no sense to complicate the desig with dual radiators for such a small case.

Darthbaggins

Caliper Novice
Jun 3, 2018
Actually not sure if it was mentioned, but what is the max dimensions for rads and fans? If it's within reason I'd just rock some ML140 or 120's (twin packs versions - so far my favorite fan other than GT AP-15's). I refuse to air cool anymore if I can avoid it - just love the aesthetics and the challenge

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Actually not sure if it was mentioned, but what is the max dimensions for rads and fans? If it's within reason I'd just rock some ML140 or 120's (twin packs versions - so far my favorite fan other than GT AP-15's). I refuse to air cool anymore if I can avoid it - just love the aesthetics and the challenge

Dual 140mm fans is supported in all 3 Gears for both Mini-ITX and Micro-ATX.

Darthbaggins

Caliper Novice
Jun 3, 2018
Dual 140mm fans is supported in all 3 Gears for both Mini-ITX and Micro-ATX.
But what are the max thicknesses of the rad & fans allowed, I know in some you have to look for a Ultra low profile/slim profile for fittament. Because a rad that is 30mm thick is simple to find but finding a good SP low profile fan is not

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
What I want to say is that it's much better for silence/performance to have below 800rpm push pull 30mm radiator than having above 1300rpm 60mm push radiator.

Push - pull for 30mm rad is meaningless. All 30 mm rads are already optimized for low rpm.
When I see pictures of the case, I'm already convinced to pay )) but it doesn't match my requirments for water-cooling. I'm so sad now.

How about a 60mm rad with slim fans in push pull? The way it looks it could probably fit the additional 5mm but I have no idea how slim fans in push pull would perform.

The used Nemesis can take 275w in push configuration, and that is not enough.
And yeah ofcourse i want to OC the system.

If we are thinking about OC, let's add 20%, so total TDP will be 330w. GTS280 (which is 30mm rad) is able to dissipate 165w in 750 rpm. So to cool components with possible OC we need 2 GTS280 in the loop, additionally, this system will be very silent.

The guys above explain math, and all of this is before we calculate the case restrictions in, wich it have with all this small holes.

I don't want my collant temps rise more than 10c delta, so that's why I need at least 3*140 area.

Don't forget, with the Sterrox there is also the thickness of the 120>140 adapter...

As for 140mm slim fans, maybe while talking to Noctua about Threadripper 2 & the NH-U9 you can bum a pair of their prototype NF-A14x15 PWM fans...?

You guys really need to run full load at 750RPM and <10C above ambient huh.

SFF case is about compromises. For this case, I wanted the best noise and cooling possible for something portable (less than 20L). My current target is 500W, either < 25C delta @ 750RPM push-pull, or < 15C delta @ 1300RPM-push pull.

For Gear 3, I'm trying to get *two 140x25mm + *two 140x15mm + 280x55mm radiator to work. I will be reaching out to Noctua to get their 140x15mm fans. I think Push-Pull on the Nemesis 280GTX will take the cooling to the absolute limit. Noctua rep at Computex looked over the build and told us the Sterrox 120mm will outperform my current Noctua Chromax 140mm. So we will try that as well. They are also working on the Sterrox 140mm. I would imagine that will only perform better.

If Push Pull @ 750RPM can get me within 30C of ambient with OC 7900X and Titan XP, I will be very happy with this case.

Aside from benchmarks, in real world use, as prava mentioned, you are less likely to have both the CPU and GPU at full load.

Putting 5.2 inside - hmm ... You think we really need reservoirs ?? I would rather to see place for fill port and bleed port and thats enough, wich again - would bring some space up there

The 5.25" bay is also for people who want more I/O ports. For example. I'm trying to get dual Thunderbolt 3. I'm still unsure if I need to put the controller board on a PCIe slot or just use the 5.25" bay. There are also people who want USB-C and SD card I/O.

I'm currently using a T splitter to drain the loop. It works fine and takes very little space. Unless you have something very specific in mind for fill and drain port, I didn't want to over-engineer a solution.

I am pretty sure DA2 will fit more rad surface but can't tell for sure untill i get my hands on one.

With DA2 , you can throw components left and right to fit more cooling, with using sff gpu, like zotac 1080 ti mini and available water block for example. You can make sandwich of 3 vents and 2x140 rads with no other components on the way. That is huge advantage.

I visited Streamcom during Computex, I played with the the regular DA2 and the window variant. Here are my initial thoughts:
- with window, the DA2 doesn't have more cooling capacity.
- without window, the 280mm radiator + fans are parallel to the mobo like the M1, the problem is that the DA2 side panel vents are more restrictive, so it might struggle more for air.

Your case can not exploit case of using small gpu's wich i think most of people already have or will have.

In Gear 1, 2, 3, the space can be used for 3.5" HDD or 120/140 radiator + Fan. I will reveal when I have more time to make pictures.

mATX support is your advantage clearly, but how will someone cool 2x serious vga ?? i doubt it can cool one, let alone 2.

This is a multi-layered question. Let's break into scenarios.

Gear 1 is for air cooling. Gear is is basically an M1 standing up with more air flow. I'm not terribly concerned about *one GPU. For *two GPUs, we will give recommendations after some testing on our end. People running *two GPU on mATX via SFF is a small population these days. There are a lot more people with ATX mobo and multiple GPUs, and that's outside of the use of this case anyways.

Gear 3 is for full loop water cooling. *Two GPU would be an interesting test. I have to get back to you.

Again, SFF case is about compromises. I don't want to make the case bigger for corner use scenarios.

On a general note, for the current prototype, my goal is to test the cooling capacity for both air and water. For the next prototype, I will focus on maximizing component support. My philosophy is making sure the concept is fundamentally valid (is the case design even pursuing, does it move the needle compare to the other option out there) before trying to maximize component compatibility.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
So where is the power button? :)

Also, will the upper compartment be separated from the rest at the io line? What I mean is, the back IO is now exposed and there is no way to fix the back io mobo plate.... (some mobos like evga stinger need the plate to attach the wifi antennas).

The power button will likely be at the top. There is a chance I will add a back side power button as well.

Also if the upper chamber is not separated, the blower type cards, like FE, will be dumping the hot air right inside the case...

The 140mm fans are near the same level as the GPU I/O. The 140mm fan at the top should take care of the moving the hot air to the back and out of the case.

But what are the max thicknesses of the rad & fans allowed, I know in some you have to look for a Ultra low profile/slim profile for fittament. Because a rad that is 30mm thick is simple to find but finding a good SP low profile fan is not

Gear 1 ("The Core"):
  • mATX + 2 dual-slot GPUs: 2 x 140mm fans
  • mATX + 1 dual-slot GPU: 2 x 120mm fans + 1 240 x 45mm radiator (EK Predator / MLC Phoenix 240)
  • mITX + 1 dual-slot GPU: 2 x 140mm fans + 1 280 x 45mm radiator (EK Predator / MLC Phoenix 280)
  • mITX + 1 single-slot GPU: 2 x 140mm fans + 280 x 60mm radiator (EK Predator / MLC Phoenix 280 / Hardware Labs Nemesis 280GTX)
Gear 2 ("The Gamer") & Gear 3 ("The YouTuber"):
  • 2 x 140mm fans + 280 x 60mm radiator (EK Predator / MLC Phoenix 280 / Hardware Labs Nemesis 280GTX)

I'm trying to get the Noctua 140x15mm fans. Let's hope you can get them too when we release.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Long time? C'mon be a bit more specific. 18 months?

I wasn’t counting man, but I know it’s been a while.

1300rpm for a 280mm with a 7900x and a Titan XP make no sense at all.
All in all, so long as you only load one part of your system at once a single 280mm radiator with 2000rpm fans is more than enough for whatever you want to throw in there.

I suppose I am ok with 25C above ambient temp, a minority in water cooling I suppose.

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
You guys really need to run full load at 750RPM and <10C above ambient huh.
I basically set a curve that keeps that fan speeds as low as possible while letting the max temp under full load hover around 10°C below TjMax. I don't hear my components complaining :)

gunpalcyril

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 7, 2016
I recently built inside the lian li pcq38, its amazing how the mach one is the same size but can fit an matx motherboard. Since the computex display unit had a full custom loop inside it, I'm curious: what was the total system weight?