Completed STX160.0 - The most powerful ATX unit, in the world!

CXH4

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 18, 2016
It lives!

The wiring is a total mess, I have to use the Corsair SF600 to power the GTX 1060 for now, I still need to figure out where in the world I'm going to put the SSD, and I seem to have misplaced my 16mm power switch, but it works!

STX160.0 is all about dat space efficiency, there is no room to spare.

Turns out the Adex Elec extender is not nearly as flexible as the HDPLEX one even though they look similar in the pictures. So I had to carefully fold it over and it just barely fits.

My initial measurements indicated the top of the RAM would be touching the case but it turns out there's about 1-2mm to spare. Heatsink clears with a bit of room to spare too so that's nice.

I forgot to take a picture of it, but the VRM heatsink backplate on the H110M-STX interferes with the backplate for the SilverStone NT07 low-profile heatsink. I had to cut out a section of the NT07's backplate to clear it.

It's beautiful! Looks like your project is coming along fantastically!

Reactions: jeshikat

Gautam

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 5, 2016
Wow, I get that you're building it in a PSU chassis as a challenge, but even otherwise, this is a very practical design. (notwithstanding the fact that it's an STX mobo rather than ITX) Mini DAN case is right. And you're not giving up much compared to it in terms of GPU power.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
It is a fairly practical for what it is, but for just 1-2 more liters of volume it becomes much more useable and upgradeable. But then it's not that much smaller than the A4-SFX.

So it's a fun project, but I don't think there's a market for it :p

Reactions: Soul_Est

Gautam

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 5, 2016
It is a fairly practical for what it is, but for just 1-2 more liters of volume it becomes much more useable and upgradeable. But then it's not that much smaller than the A4-SFX.

The "useable" version is the Hutsy XS, I suppose.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Basically, for not much more volume the XS fits a FlexATX PSU and a Mini-ITX motherboard. Much more user friendly than my mess of adapters and wires.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
It's been a great learning experience to make this sort of build, though. Maybe now you'd be able to finally figure out how to make one out of an actual power supply enclosure and for a stealth PC inside a commercial PSU :D

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The only way I see that happening is with a NUC. With a Mini-STX board there just isn't room to fit everything inside commonly available PSUs, even with a 230mm deep housing it's a tight fit.

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 9, 2015
The "useable" version is the Hutsy XS, I suppose.

Basically, for not much more volume the XS fits a FlexATX PSU and a Mini-ITX motherboard. Much more user friendly than my mess of adapters and wires.

Usability is a function of time when it comes to tech.

Where Dan A4-SFX is at its peak usability right now, I see Hutzy XS in its infancy of being usable, with room to grow in the coming years.

Some day, we will no doubt see the same scenario happen where Hutzy XS will start declining as a new generation of even more compact, even more usable mixes of technology assemble -- something that might even look like STX160.0

Aibo's just ahead of our time ;)

Reactions: Soul_Est and Gautam

Gautam

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 5, 2016
Usability is a function of time when it comes to tech.

Where Dan A4-SFX is at its peak usability right now, I see Hutzy XS in its infancy of being usable, with room to grow in the coming years.

Some day, we will no doubt see the same scenario happen where Hutzy XS will start declining as a new generation of even more compact, even more usable mixes of technology assemble -- something that might even look like STX160.0

Aibo's just ahead of our time ;)

Too true, and I'll take it one step further and actually disagree that the Dan A4 is at peak usability. It was conceived in 2013 and was perfect then. Current offerings make unnecessary sacrifices in order to accommodate full-size GPU's, and arguably even 2.5" drives. It's likely that full-size GPU's will themselves (slowly) decline in popularity. Today's GTX 1070 rivals yesterday's Titan with half the power draw and at 2/3rd the size. Today's 6700K rivals yesterday's 3960X, today's Samsung 950 Pro blows away even most RAID 0 arrays which precede it. Faster, smaller, lower power draw, all at the same time, is where we're headed.

Reactions: Soul_Est

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
It's likely that full-size GPU's will themselves (slowly) decline in popularity.

I sure hope so but the "gamer" crowd sure seems to be pushing the manufacturers towards larger cards with moar fans, moar heatsink, moar LEDs, etc. despite the ever increasing perf/watt.

Reactions: remixedMind

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I sure hope so but the "gamer" crowd sure seems to be pushing the manufacturers towards larger cards with moar fans, moar heatsink, moar LEDs, etc. despite the ever increasing perf/watt.
Don't forget the huge heatpipes that almost seem to mimick an exhaust manifold, but desperately need to extend beyond the PCB.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Yes! So annoying. Luckily there's less of the heatpipe nonsense this generation.

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016

Wait, aren't you goint to sell it? I was hoping for it to be "buyable" at some point of your R&D job... :confused:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I've just reread your thread...and I just realized that min STX has no pci e slot.
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H110M-STX/
How do you make the junction between motherboard and gtx1060?

Truly mini STX is killing somehow thin mini itx...that was already in a very bad shape..:)

Sorry in advance if there is an obvious answer..:)

PS : AMD, while presenting AM4 platform, spoke about a tiny platform...are you aware about it?