Completed STX160.0 - The most powerful ATX unit, in the world!

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
The case is coming together nicely!

My sheet metal shop skills from high school also came back into my head reading the post about the bending process. We only had the hand-operated brakes, though still huge. Instead of using fasteners, we also tended to spot-weld the pieces together.

ZA Design

Trash Compacter
Sep 7, 2016
WOW! Looking great so far. The metal bending is so satisfying. This thread is stupidly in depth and informative, and has taught me around 70% of what I know about case manufacturing. I thank you for that. Anyway this case is going great, I'm excited to see it with components inside, powered on.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
2-5 could really be done in any order, though usually 2/3 and 4/5 would be done in pairs since they require similar tooling setups.

6 and 7 have to be done last since it's not practical to bend 4 and 5 after them.
I figured it made more sense to do the long edges first, though I guess it doesn't really matter so long as the inside bends are done first, then the edge flanges and the main shape last.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
We only had the hand-operated brakes, though still huge.

Yeah, it's crazy how big some of this equipment is. Here's the next model of Schroeder bend up from the one in the animation:

Anyway this case is going great, I'm excited to see it with components inside, powered on.

Yup, just waiting on that Pico Box unit. And of course the tracking number for it is completely useless.

I figured it made more sense to do the long edges first

I think so too.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Haha, I've wanted to write a "how to design a case" guide for a while but I'm too lazy to just write that on its own so basically I'm harnessing my compulsion to explain things to get this written out. But even I am surprised at how far it's gone, I think I'm getting close to 15,000 words by now.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Last update I went over transforming the flat sheets into the formed case, now to go over the finished product in detail.

STX160.0 case in detail!

And I'll start off with saying that receiving a physical object that's basically identical to something you've spent hours staring at in the CAD program is super satisfying:

Looks pretty close :D

I haven't really mentioned up until now but late in the design process I decided to add a removeable IO plate for future expansion. For now it has cutouts for the WiFi antennas but in the future I was thinking I could get a 3D printed attachment for a panel-mount ethernet port.

For reference that's a 180mm long ATX unit.​

The cover is a very simple part which is why it was bent on The Folder instead of the press brake.

---------------------------​
The Details

Some little things about the case I think are interesting, in no particular order:

I went with a tumble finish for STX160.0 because I wanted that sketchy PSU look. Tumble finishes are done by placing the parts in a rotating barrel loaded with some kind of abrasive media and left for several hours.

That green mark I mentioned previously is still faintly visible.

I should have talked about this when I went over laser cutting, but to keep small pieces that would be cut out from the sheet from coming loose during the cutting process, the laser doesn't actually cut them all the way out. It leaves little tabs connecting the piece to the rest of the sheet. You can see an example of this here.

As a result of this, there will be small marks on the part from where those tabs were. If the case is finished with something like powder coating they'll be covered up but with anodization they may be visible. I talk about finishes here.

Those tab marks should only be visible from certain angles though because if the manufacturer is cleaning up the parts properly there shouldn't be any protusions that would be noticeable from straight on.

And it looks like I was a little off on the countersinks because the screws stick up slightly. I think with some adjustments I could have gotten them close to flush even with 90° ISO metric flat head screws.

Speaking of which, here is one of the countersinks on the cover panel. Since it's still shiny it looks like they were done after tumbling.

I guess we'll just never get away from talking about PEMSERTs :p

Fun fact: Penn Engineering has trademarked stamps, grooves, and other markings to distinguish genuine PEMSERTs. The nuts have the "P E M" stamp and the standoff has two grooves near the base cut into it.

Here's the backside of one of the other standoffs, note how the hexagon shape of the back of the standoff prevents rotation. Also, these are Through-Hole standoffs, the reason for which I went with them I discussed here. Blind standoffs would normally be used though which would leave the back of the standoff flat.

With bare metal like this the marks from the installation tooling is visible, note the partial ring mark to the right of the standoff.

Here's the backside of one of the M3 nuts. Note how it sticks out past the sheet a good bit, be sure to take this into account when designing your case!

And here's how the nuts look from the other side. With this combination of sheet thickness and nut shaft length the threads are inset slightly from the surface. This is helpful when trying to get countersink screws to sit flush in thin sheets because that gap between the threads and the surface gives a bit of room for the bottom of the flat head screw's taper.

This is why it's important to round off the outside corners! The tumble finish probably would have knocked off this edge anyway but you can imagine with a squared off corner and a finish like anodization that this could be a pretty sharp corner, just waiting to draw blood o_O

So round off the corners and avoid getting haunted!

Recall from my overview on press brakes that sheet metal wants to return to its original state so when bending the flange has to be bent a little bit past the final desired angle so when it springs back it ends up where it's supposed to. To account for that, the edge of the flange here is tapered so it won't hit.

Sheet metal bending isn't perfect though and over on this corner it looks like it was bent a bit too far and the edge of the flange on the left impacted the corner of the flange on the right.

Here's the end result of the retention tab nut from Designing the case part 7. Note the bend reliefs used to make sure the sheet wouldn't tear when the tab was bent.

And this is why this nut was installed prior to bending, there is absolutely no clearance for the anvil to install it after the flange is formed.

I made some assumptions when making the press brake CAD mockup but now that I look closely there are tooling marks from the punches.

More tooling marks. Remember, that nut was installed post-bending so it wasn't there when the part was on the press brake.

By measuring the length of the marks I can figure out what the arrangement of the punch tooling was. Not that it matters, but I'm a dork :p

There's a few punches that it's hard to tell the exact length from the marks, the 0.25" could be a 0.30" for example, but I think this is close.

---------------------------​

Unless the Pico Box shows up in the mail tomorrow I'll probably do the next post on pricing and the process of communicating with the manufacturer to get something like this done. It's a bit out of chronological order, but oh well.

Table of Contents

Next Update

Last edited:

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 9, 2015
That looks freakin' awesome! And you got it done in such a short time frame too. :thumb:

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Awesome last post ! Because it's a one-off, did you follow the manufacturing process the entire way ? Did you cooperate with the worker(s) ? I'm wondering if this is something that's done outside of massive projects.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
That looks freakin' awesome! And you got it done in such a short time frame too. :thumb:

Thanks! And I need to go through my notes and emails to figure out the timeline for this.

Awesome last post ! Because it's a one-off, did you follow the manufacturing process the entire way ? Did you cooperate with the worker(s) ? I'm wondering if this is something that's done outside of massive projects.

I wasn't hands-on with manufacturing at all, I just asked them to take pictures and then followed up with a few questions. That's why I don't have pics of the laser cutting, the rest of the bends, etc. You can be sure if I was there I would have taken pics and videos of everything :p

Holy crap. I've seen buildings smaller than that

The MAK 4 Evolution UD is really cool. It has robot arms to automatically swap out the tooling:

cmyk78

Master of Cramming
Jun 7, 2016
@Aibohphobia I'm watching this thread, but for some reason I stopped getting any alerts? The last alert I got was on August 31st up top it gives me the option to unwatch thread so I think I should still be getting alerts but I'm not.

Also awesome project! You should take it to a LAN party and confuse some people :p

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Really nice case build, eager to see the full setup..:)

I'm in the process of assembling it for a power on test now. I'm having to use the SF600 for the GPU though since I still haven't received the Pico Box yet.

The last alert I got was on August 31st up top it gives me the option to unwatch thread so I think I should still be getting alerts but I'm not.

Hmm, I see in the email logs that it sent a notification to you for the Cerberus thread but I'm not seeing any others. The notification email logs only go back a few days though so I'm not sure what happened to this thread's notification email.

XenForo only sends one email though until you visit the forum again when logged in, so on other forums I know I've missed things by checking the thread while not logged in and forgetting that I had done so.

Also awesome project! You should take it to a LAN party and confuse some people :p

That's the plan! There will be one at my work actually after BF1 comes out so I'll be taking it there.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
It lives!

The wiring is a total mess, I have to use the Corsair SF600 to power the GTX 1060 for now, I still need to figure out where in the world I'm going to put the SSD, and I seem to have misplaced my 16mm power switch, but it works!

STX160.0 is all about dat space efficiency, there is no room to spare.

Turns out the Adex Elec extender is not nearly as flexible as the HDPLEX one even though they look similar in the pictures. So I had to carefully fold it over and it just barely fits.

My initial measurements indicated the top of the RAM would be touching the case but it turns out there's about 1-2mm to spare. Heatsink clears with a bit of room to spare too so that's nice.

I forgot to take a picture of it, but the VRM heatsink backplate on the H110M-STX interferes with the backplate for the SilverStone NT07 low-profile heatsink. I had to cut out a section of the NT07's backplate to clear it.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
lol

I needed something to insulate the back of the video card from the back of the motherboard and this postcard from Google was the perfect size :)

And strangely, as much of a digitally-based company as Google is, they sure love sending promotional stuff in the mail to potential advertisers (it was addressed to SmallFormFactor.net).

Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
It's like a small dan a4 sfx lol...really nice...as you compared, it's a power brick for gaming..:)

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Yup, the A4-SFX layout is really the only one that works to get these parts in this form factor. This thing looks pretty ugly and industrial since that's the point, but a prettier version with brushed anodization would be hilarious, it'd be like the Mini-Me version of the DAN Case :p