SFF.Network Streacom Launches the DA2

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
And a quick update to confirm:
Under 30 minutes of render through Corona Render in 3ds Max, all 16 core/32 Thread at 3.5GHz I have:

CPU Package MAX 85 degrees
177W power draw
VRM 87 and 77 (don't know which one is the correct one)
MB 54 Degrees
PCH 66 degrees
SSD front and the x2 rear 57 Degrees

Not bad!

phandango

Chassis Packer
May 20, 2019
For a 2600X???
Air cooled GPU and or a Noctua U9s with dual fan intaking from rear or an L12s with a Noctua A12x25 mounted on TOP intake from side.
Plus a 140mm Fan as exhaust. No more than this.
I am using this with a 9960X (The U9s).
I personally suggest the L12S with the A14 just if you want to have a dead quiet system.

Thanks for the tips really helpful.

When you say "L12s with a Noctua A12x25 mounted on TOP intake from side." does that mean the the pipe tips are pointing towards the rear or the front of the case? I looked online and could not find a clear answer for this. Thanks again!

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Performance wise I suggest an U9s with an A14 exhausting, is 5 degrees better than the L12s.

But for a 2600X an L12s with the FAN (A12x25) on top is enough and quieter.

The pipe's tips are better pointed on the right or on top.

This is what I was meaning.

And the flow of the air through the fan is Outside-Inside, Intaking from the side of the case. That's it!

phandango

Chassis Packer
May 20, 2019
Performance wise I suggest an U9s with an A14 exhausting, is 5 degrees better than the L12s.

But for a 2600X an L12s with the FAN (A12x25) on top is enough and quieter.

The pipe's tips are better pointed on the right or on top.

This is what I was meaning.

And the flow of the air through the fan is Outside-Inside, Intaking from the side of the case. That's it!

I'll be cooling an 8086k on a Asus z370i with LP ram . Thanks for the tips. I'm mostly concerned about noise have it narrowed down to a few scenarios:
  1. U9S with A14 Exhaust
  2. L12S with the 12x25
  3. C14S (not sure if my MB heatsinks will cause conflicts so I'll probably just avoid the hassle)
I saw your recent post about the new cooler setup... I'm really digging the simplicity.

jnbuss

What's an ITX?
Jun 19, 2019
Hi Fabio,

Just wondering if you tried mounting the A12x25 on the other side of the cooler (between case wall and cooler stack)? or does that interfere with the A-15? If so how was the performance?

Cheers, Josh

Here my just finished Air cooled setup for low noise and performance!!

Noctua C14s + Noctua A12x25 pulling air from outside
Noctua A15 for exhausting.

That's it! Same performance than the U9s with 2 fans, but A LOT more silent, even under load, thanks to the amazing Sterrox!

Cpu package under Prime 95, latest version, is 95 degrees, without overclock.

Super happy of the results especially the noise!

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Hi Fabio,

Just wondering if you tried mounting the A12x25 on the other side of the cooler (between case wall and cooler stack)? or does that interfere with the A-15? If so how was the performance?

Cheers, Josh
Hey! No, I didn't try because I was a bit scared about the Noise taht could be generated!
But there is enough space to mount it!

phandango

Chassis Packer
May 20, 2019
Here's my build so far (don't mind the poor cable management)
  1. Cryorig M9 Plus - Intake from the rear
  2. Noctua A14 PWM - Exhaust
  3. Sapphire Nitro RX580
  4. SF600 Plat
  5. 8700K
  6. LPX ram
Notes:
  • I'm running everything stock, so no OC'ing.
  • I had the Noctua L12S to test as well (fan mounted on top of heatsink). The M9 cooled a little bit better while being just slightly noisier. I chose to stick with the M9 for now because it was $30 vs $45 for the L12S
  • Installation of the video card was VERY challenging. Technically the 2.2 side card fits, but there's noticeable sag and most importantly, some of my displayport cables would not lock the connection. Fortunately I had a few DP cables and one had an extra long tip, which worked out.
  • I broke the bottom vent cover ... was trying to be careful but the plastic panels are fragile like egg shells.
  • There's space on the rear for a large 92mm fan. I'm wondering if its worthwhile to place an additional intake fan there.
  • I'm also debating on swapping the M9 for a Noctua C14S. The objective would be to keep the same temps but be slightly quieter.
Overall I'm very happy with DA2. I think it strikes the perfect balance of design, versatility and size.

brownelvis

Trash Compacter
Jun 5, 2019
Update on my build - I settled on an evga CLC 280 with 2x Corsair ML140 cooling a 2600x. I also threw in an evga rtx 2080ti. I'll share some random observations I've made while tinkering with this case

For the CLC 280 I tried every single configuration possible - push/intake, pull/intake and push/exhaust:
Push/exhaust - this created a clear airflow path of bottom intake from the gpu and exhaust out the side. of the case. It had the best gpu temps, but idle CPU temps were in the 50s and ram temps quickly got up there as well to the point where i was unstable in games. Fan grills are necessary for this config to avoid anything getting caught in the fans.
Push/intake - this had the best cpu/ram cooling and gpu temps were only 2-3 degrees higher in stress tests compared to push/exhaust. However, it was definitely the loudest config.
Pull/intake - performed 3-4 degrees worse on the CPU than with push/intake but with much lower noise than the fans. It also required the least smushing of the hoses to make everything work, so this is the best config IMO.

I had to take out the top and bottom dust covers for the sake of the gpu and basically run an open build. I tried every single fan config possible, all they did was add more noise without any change in temperatures. Here is what i tried:
-Bottom intake: 92mm nfa9x14 on the front of the case where the gpu ends, be quiet 135mm fan on the side of the gpu, 2x 140mm corsair fans - none made a big difference in temps when stress testing and just added noise
-Rear exhaust and rear intake next to the i/o shield, nfa9x14 inside the case or nf-b9 redux mounted externally, neither made a difference, the holes on the case seem too restrictive to do any good here
-Right side exhaust with a nf-a9x14 mounted under the power supply

With a 2060 everything ran perfectly, but once I swapped it out for a 2080ti cit really threw a wrench in the cooling situation. For one, i had to take out the top and bottom dust filters and basically run the system open to keep temps from hitting 84 degrees and throttling. It also heated up the ambient temps of the case, which increased my ram temperatures. Overclocked b-die doesnt like being over 50 degrees, so I started having BSODs and crashing. I had to tune my ram down from 3600mhz c14 at 1.45v to 3266mhz c14 1.355v to keep ram temps in check.

Of course once I got everything stable with decent temps my evga clc 280 pump died! I put in the wraith spire cooler for the time being with the ML140s as intake and my ram temps are down about 15 degrees with the CPU not really performing all that much worse. GPU temps dropped a few degrees as well. So at this point I'm RMA'ing my CLC280, I'll likely just sell the replacement they send and just buy an air cooler, likely the u9s since it seems I can't go wrong with it. Once I get my hands on one, I'll likely try every single config possible again and then report back.

Reactions: omnikron and brt02

omnikron

Trash Compacter
Jun 1, 2019
Well, this is very frustranting for me. I have the Dark Rock TF and want to order this Asrock motherboard next week. In the web page of Bequiet it says the Dark Rock TF is compatible with this motherboard... I don't understand...

Fabio, please, when you say than the mounting brackets for 5mm go against the RAM module, have you a photo for I can understand that? Do you mean the heat pipes or the brackets for fix to the motherboard?

In the study fase, before purchase the Dark Rock, I always thought that the only way to mount this heatsink is with the heat pipes facing to the rear of the case and even almost touching the VRM heatsink. And when I saw the compatibility in the Bequiet webpage, I trusted in my assumption.

And now I am very confused. Please, if you could give more info about the problems with the Dark Rock, so I can to see this clearly.

Thanks
I have this cooler with my asrock z390 itx gaming phantom you can install it but it will tough your ram sticks I used corsair lpx and now using trident z rgb both touch not enogh to worry it also does touch the VRM heatsink on the motherboard and you will have to remove the power cable and reinstall it.

omnikron

Trash Compacter
Jun 1, 2019
Here a pic of my build
Guys, every case have is cons and pro. This lack a bit of airflow (@Streacom can easily release new side panels with better holes maybe?? or a better top/bottom filter)
I love the aesthetic, and with my config I really don't have ANY issues. Working on 3D, CAD, rendering, etc. It's dead silent, apart under heavy loads during rendering.
But the sound is not a disturbing noise, the A9 are amazing fans!
I know this post is old but I agree with you I love the aesthetic of the DA2 over the M1 that and pro for the DA2 is more options for Air coolers and the gpu in DA2 runs nice and cool once the all the filters are removed I dont mind blowing out the air outta of the case the side panels are easy to remove.

omnikron

Trash Compacter
Jun 1, 2019
I think the DA2's strength is its versatility as it can accommodate a wide variety of components in various positions. But it seems most (if not all) builds here all happen to have the same/similar setup/component layout.
Airflow through the restrictive top/bottom filters and side openings is not its strength. How unfortunate!
BTW, instead of removing the entirety of the 3-piece filter portion, if you just remove the in-between middle filter while keeping the top and bottom easy-to-break plastic elements, does this allow good enough airflow in and out? Anyone has experience with this?
That is exactly what I did just took out the mesh top and bottom and side makes big diff in temps for both cpu and gpu more so gpu.

brownelvis

Trash Compacter
Jun 5, 2019
I tried a NH-U9S last night and noticed no difference over the wraith spire other than less noise at full load and slightly lower cpu temps, gpu temps won't budge. i am running the u9s as exhaust into the rear of the case with a nf-a9 on the back of the case for exhaust as well and a nf-a14 as intake on the right side of the case. i tried flipping the u9s as intake from the rear and exhaust from the right, but my ram temperatures went to 50-55 degrees because of the cpu exhaust and made my system unstable, and the CPU was 10 degrees hotter at load. Running intel burn test the 2600x topped out at 75 degrees running the u9s as exhaust and 85 degrees as intake.

The 2080ti is a beast and is the source of all my cooling issues, i am thinking of putting a 140mm AIO on it as exhaust using a kraken g12. Anyone have ideas on how I can decrease gpu temps, or get the hot air out of the system efficiently enough so its not overheating my ram and cpu?

Last edited:

omnikron

Trash Compacter
Jun 1, 2019
Here my just finished Air cooled setup for low noise and performance!!

Noctua C14s + Noctua A12x25 pulling air from outside
Noctua A15 for exhausting.

That's it! Same performance than the U9s with 2 fans, but A LOT more silent, even under load, thanks to the amazing Sterrox!

Cpu package under Prime 95, latest version, is 95 degrees, without overclock.

Super happy of the results especially the noise!

[
good looking build

omnikron

Trash Compacter
Jun 1, 2019
My Red/Black DA2 build.
RTX dissapointment is the reason I am holding on to my MSI Gaming X 1080ti. As this is red/black card I went red/black Noctua Chromax route.

Temps are decent. Intel i7 8700K remains under 80 under Anthem gaming load.
GPU is arround 80 as well.
M.2 is 500GB Evo with some passive heatsinks, as it was running hot under dust mesh.

Case is hard to build into as there is a variety of possibilities due to case flexibility. That requires some premeditation.
And thinner plastic side cover breaks EVERY SINGLE time you try to pry it out. :(

Scythe Fuma is just small enough to fit the case, but ram clearance for G.Skill Trident Z is not sufficient, so I will be replacing it with Noctua NH C14S.

But for now rear fan is 92mm Noctua. Used as case air intake fan. Sadly this one doesn't come in chroma variant, hence it remains brown. Will see what can be done about that when I replace CPU fan.
I wonder how does the Noctua NH C14S compare to the Dark rock TF

omnikron

Trash Compacter
Jun 1, 2019
And here it is, DA2 Take 5 with dual AIO (H60 on CPU and H55 on GPU) :D

First of all decided to install a second 92mm fan to cool the VRM on the left of the GPU:

Then cleaned up the case and installed the SF750, have to say that those braided cables make everything easier:

This case looks crowded, well it is (also moved back to dominator ram, cause why not go overkill at this point) :D

You'll notice some flex in the kraken G12, that's on purpose as I needed some tolerance for the PCI-E power connectors:

Second AIO is in, time to assemble the 2 rads together and mount the brackets:

Looking good :D

You may have noticed I moved to a Corsair Commander Pro to control my GPU fans, i'm quite impressed with how well it works:

Ok, how does this thing do? (all filters on, AIO fans set to exhaust)

Also tested with Prime95 smallfft, after 20 mins max temp was 76C and oh, this thing is silent! I'm an happy man :D

Now that the CPU is on an AIO, the GPU temp went down, a lot!

Is this the end? Not sure, I may move the GPU to the EVGA hybrid kit sooner or later, we'll see :)
Those superpostion scores are crazy lol

brownelvis

Trash Compacter
Jun 5, 2019
I just slapped a 120mm AIO on my 2080ti and set it up as exhaust with NH-U9S setup as exhaust which seemed to help alot. Even at 120% Power limit (312w) the 2080ti go upto max 61 degrees after 20 mins (51 degrees with the side panel off). With Linpack running at the same time, the CPU goes to 91 degrees and the GPU reaches 75 degrees. I think a dual AIO build is necessary, all exhaust, just to keep the negative pressure going. The evga CLC120 tubes are too short to properly mount from the g12 onto the rail, so im going to get a 140mm AIO for the GPU and put the clc120 on the CPU. I was contemplating dual 140's but at 170mm long, the rads wouldnt fit!

bubbl3

Case Shuffler
Jul 3, 2018
I just slapped a 120mm AIO on my 2080ti and set it up as exhaust with NH-U9S setup as exhaust which seemed to help alot. Even at 120% Power limit (312w) the 2080ti go upto max 61 degrees after 20 mins (51 degrees with the side panel off). With Linpack running at the same time, the CPU goes to 91 degrees and the GPU reaches 75 degrees. I think a dual AIO build is necessary, all exhaust, just to keep the negative pressure going. The evga CLC120 tubes are too short to properly mount from the g12 onto the rail, so im going to get a 140mm AIO for the GPU and put the clc120 on the CPU. I was contemplating dual 140's but at 170mm long, the rads wouldnt fit!
I do agree with high perf parts dual AIO is necessary, but dual 140 or even 140+120 AIOs gonna be tricky cause of tubes, check my build with dual 120 AIO there, it's really a tight fit.

brownelvis

Trash Compacter
Jun 5, 2019
I do agree with high perf parts dual AIO is necessary, but dual 140 or even 140+120 AIOs gonna be tricky cause of tubes, check my build with dual 120 AIO there, it's really a tight fit.

Yeah I took a look, thanks for posting that up. I did all the measurements and dual 140 definitely wont work, but I think 120+140 will juuuuust fit if I flip them in different orientations. You're right about the tubes though, I had enough trouble fitting a 280MM aio in there with one set of tubes, two sets will definitely need some creative routing. I wanted to run the Galax 380w bios on my 2080ti and was hoping the 140mm rad will help me handle a few more watts. I have a ML140 and a ML120 ready to go for them.

I realized with all the money I've spent just on cooling and all of the different iterations on this build, i could've just bought a used ncase and been done with it lol.

bubbl3

Case Shuffler
Jul 3, 2018
Yeah I took a look, thanks for posting that up. I did all the measurements and dual 140 definitely wont work, but I think 120+140 will juuuuust fit if I flip them in different orientations. You're right about the tubes though, I had enough trouble fitting a 280MM aio in there with one set of tubes, two sets will definitely need some creative routing. I wanted to run the Galax 380w bios on my 2080ti and was hoping the 140mm rad will help me handle a few more watts. I have a ML140 and a ML120 ready to go for them.

I realized with all the money I've spent just on cooling and all of the different iterations on this build, i could've just bought a used ncase and been done with it lol.
Well, you said it, DA2 is not worth the trouble :D

brownelvis

Trash Compacter
Jun 5, 2019
ive been tinkering with all kinds of configs. the big breakthrough i've had, everything on this case needs to be in exhaust/push for good temps, cooling really seems to benefit from the negative air pressure as it forces air in from every opening.

I put the 280mm AIO on my 2080ti with a kraken g12, the gpu never gets over the low 50's on full load even on the 380w bios. I also switched out my 95w 2600x for a 65w 3600.

First i tried a 120mm and a 240mm AIO mounted externally on the back of the case using a watercooling pump bracket i had, it left about an inch of space between the case and the AIO. I had to remove the IO shield and squeeze the tubes in next to the rear of the motherboard. Instead of a tophat like youd see on the ghost, it was more like a backpack. I'd get cinebench r15 runs of 1620ish using this config, but it was ugly and noisy. thermals would max out in the low 70's on intelburntest on very high.

Then i installed I put the wraith spire cooler on it behind the 280mm aio, surprisingly it didnt perform a whole lot worse, i was getting cinebench r15 scores in the 1570 range. it passed intelburntest on normal with the cpu hitting the high 80's. then i took the wraith cooler apart and reversed the fan, temps dropped about 10 degrees on idle and load, cinebench r15 scores improved to low 1600's, so comparable to the 240mm aio.

Im going to stick with the 280mm AIO on the GPU and I ordered a Scythe Big Shuriken 3 to use on the CPU, i'll install it with the fan reversed and hopefully that will be the end of this build!

Reactions: bubbl3