SFF.Network Streacom Launches the DA2

Prizm

Chassis Packer
Jan 27, 2019

Above:
Ok, the 140mm fan is moved back to its higher position rather than blowing directly on the GPU. I've also tidied up the PSU cables a bit on the opposite side where the exhaust 140mm is.

Below:
Temperatures now:

Results are about the same.. possibly worse, looking at those CPU and motherboard figures.

Below:
This is GPU load with both side panels OFF:

Below:
This is GPU-Z with side panels OFF, set to 10 second update intervals:

All load screenshots (including previous posts) were taken after at least 30min of playing Anthem. Above, GPU-Z indicates a pretty steady 75c GPU temp with side panels off. Also a steady 49c for the CPU.
With the side panel off, I can feel the 140mm fan exhaust over a foot away from the case. It's not warm air, more like room temp. Oh, btw ambient temp is about 23-25c.

Last edited:

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
It seems that GPU does not benefit much (load temp dropping from 80-82C to 75-76C) as the CPU/Mainboard does.

For the time being, I notice one thing you might investigate further:- fan speed of your 2060.

The GPU-Z shows that when the card is loaded 97%, both fans spin only at 54% (1989rpm). If you do set this up on purpose for the sake of noise, I suggest you adjust the fan speed curve so that the 2 fan spin faster. A (almost) fully loaded card only has fans spinning at about half speed yielding higher temp does not sound appropriate to me.

Have you tried removing the bottom filter element? At least, you should try to confirm its restrictive characteristic.
If removing it gives much better GPU temp, maybe you should, or, at least change to a less restrictive filter.

Last edited:

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
@fabio I still don't understand why you share those images that are literally impossible to understand. 99% of the data points are useless or irrelevant and you have to zoom in just to know the actual temperatures.

I fail the see the point, honestly.
I’ll try to be sharp and clear:

1. It faster to to do a full desktop screenshot to me
2. There are many people that are not you, that are interested In all the other numbers.
3. You can click on each pictures to see it in full res
4. Because you are the only one complaining, I really don’t care about you
5. If you fail, it’s your problem, not of the community.

Maybe now is more clear? No more questioning about this, I will not answer anymore.

Reactions: brt02 and Veryaton

Prizm

Chassis Packer
Jan 27, 2019
The GPU-Z shows that when the card is loaded 97%, both fans spin only at 54% (1989rpm).
Yeah, I found that weird. I haven't messed with the GPU fan settings at all, it's all default. I can see if I can bump it up a bit.

Have you tried removing the bottom filter element? At least, you should try to confirm its restrictive characteristic.
I could look into removing the filter, but I'm afraid of breaking it. Removing it would be more for curiosity reasons as I no longer intend to keep this case. It was an expensive mistake :D

Reactions: Veryaton and bubbl3

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
Yeah, I found that weird. I haven't messed with the GPU fan settings at all, it's all default. I can see if I can bump it up a bit.

That GPU-Z screenshot shows the GPU is power limited (see PerfCap).

That fan behaviour seems in line with cards that i have. Have had my 1080 at 82C in this case and the fans were at around 2000RPM or 67%.

Up to you how you proceed - you can go for a more aggressive fan curve at the expense of noise, or increase your power and temperature limits to try and keep your clock speeds up.

I could look into removing the filter, but I'm afraid of breaking it. Removing it would be more for curiosity reasons as I no longer intend to keep this case. It was an expensive mistake :D

I've broken mine, 2 euros to replace (+shipping) - so if you're dead set on moving on from this case, then I wouldn't bother, it's a last resort but it will help temperatures

Last edited:

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I think the DA2's strength is its versatility as it can accommodate a wide variety of components in various positions. But it seems most (if not all) builds here all happen to have the same/similar setup/component layout.
Airflow through the restrictive top/bottom filters and side openings is not its strength. How unfortunate!
BTW, instead of removing the entirety of the 3-piece filter portion, if you just remove the in-between middle filter while keeping the top and bottom easy-to-break plastic elements, does this allow good enough airflow in and out? Anyone has experience with this?

Reactions: omnikron

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
The filter is sandwiched between the two acrylic sheets. The outer acrylic sheet needs to be removed to remove that filter. The inner acrylic sheet is a bit thicker and not designed to be easily removed.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
The filter is sandwiched between the two acrylic sheets. The outer acrylic sheet needs to be removed to remove that filter. The inner acrylic sheet is a bit thicker and not designed to be easily removed.
So, if you remove the outer acrylic sheet and the filter element, could keeping the inner acrylic sheet provide a good compromise between good-enough airflow and good-enough aesthetic?

Reactions: BorG

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
Not sure that aesthetics are the issue here.

It depends on your desk setup i suppose, but I'm not sure that most people would see the missing filter on the bottom. You might be more likely to see the top filter missing?

For me the issue is the fact that there is nothing to stop dust getting in. Exhaust is limited in this case so that dust has no way of getting out and builds up surprisingly quickly.

Not sure what your BC1 build is like with dust, but my DA2 (all dust filters in place), builds up dust much more quickly than my S4 Mini does even though the S4 mini has no filters. And the S4 mini takes seconds to clean, my DA2 with its AIO, requires partial disassembly.

Last edited:

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Not sure that aesthetics are the issue here.

It depends on your desk setup i suppose, but I'm not sure that most people would see the missing filter on the bottom. You might be more likely to see the top filter missing?

For me the issue is the fact that there is nothing to stop dust getting in. Exhaust is limited in this case so that dust has no way of getting out and builds up surprisingly quickly.

Not sure what your BC1 build is like on the dust front, but my DA2 (all dust filters in place), builds up dust much more quickly than my S4 Mini does even though the S4 mini has no filters. And the S4 mini takes seconds to clean, my DA2 with its AIO, requires partial disassembly.
Ans it's the reason why I am loving the U9s in this case! Everything is accessible for everything!

Reactions: brt02

bubbl3

Case Shuffler
Jul 3, 2018
Ans it's the reason why I am loving the U9s in this case! Everything is accessible for everything!
But if you want to go air, there are better cases, unless you really want that aesthetic.

It feels to me that the DA2 wants to be too many things and ends not doing anything very well.

Reactions: Prizm and Veryaton

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
But if you want to go air, there are better cases, unless you really want that aesthetic.

It feels to me that the DA2 wants to be too many things and ends not doing anything very well.
Well, I agree, but I've bought it!
Now I am waiting for the M1 V6 to be released, and the Ghost (But the CPU will be more limited I guess).

Veryaton

Average Stuffer
Feb 28, 2017

I have this feeling, too. Now I think it was a mistake to buy this case and I think I should have waited a while and seen the opinions of the early buyers.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
I have this feeling, too. Now I think it was a mistake to buy this case and I think I should have waited a while and seen the opinions of the early buyers.
Guys, every case have is cons and pro. This lack a bit of airflow (@Streacom can easily release new side panels with better holes maybe?? or a better top/bottom filter)
I love the aesthetic, and with my config I really don't have ANY issues. Working on 3D, CAD, rendering, etc. It's dead silent, apart under heavy loads during rendering.
But the sound is not a disturbing noise, the A9 are amazing fans!

Reactions: omnikron

bubbl3

Case Shuffler
Jul 3, 2018
Guys, every case have is cons and pro. This lack a bit of airflow (@Streacom can easily release new side panels with better holes maybe?? or a better top/bottom filter)
I love the aesthetic, and with my config I really don't have ANY issues. Working on 3D, CAD, rendering, etc. It's dead silent, apart under heavy loads during rendering.
But the sound is not a disturbing noise, the A9 are amazing fans!
Every case has pros and cons, yes, I just don't see many pros here compared to the NCASE M1 for example, unless as I said you really like the aesthetic.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Every case has pros and cons, yes, I just don't see many pros here compared to the NCASE M1 for example, unless as I said you really like the aesthetic.
Well, IF you don't mod your GPU, every GPUs released this year are NOT blower style, more or less. The M1 has no holes in the side panels to exhaust the air, and for me is a Cons against the DA2.
And about the filter. I had the very good DCMFilter in my Cerberus. Even those are too restrictive in my opinion for the Hardware I use. SO, for both, I decide to accept the dust and clean from it a few times every month.

bubbl3

Case Shuffler
Jul 3, 2018
Well, IF you don't mod your GPU, every GPUs released this year are NOT blower style, more or less. The M1 has no holes in the side panels to exhaust the air, and for me is a Cons against the DA2.
And about the filter. I had the very good DCMFilter in my Cerberus. Even those are too restrictive in my opinion for the Hardware I use. SO, for both, I decide to accept the dust and clean from it a few times every month.
Even modding your GPU, you are more restricted in slots occupation in the DA2. And on air you can actually get better temps on RTX cards in the M1 as you can have bottom intake fans without removing stuff like in the DA2.

BorG

Caliper Novice
Feb 6, 2019
www.radiocity.si
I see you have the case rear case panel flipped 180-degree and now essentially have an inverted layout with the display card at the top.
What is the rationale behind, may I ask?
Is it because you want the C14S heatpipes pointing down? In fact, I would be curious to see the thermal difference between 'heatpipes pointing up' vs 'heatpipes pointing down'. If you do not mind, would you run a test and note the difference?

The reason is of quite simple and practical nature... This beautiful case is hidden in a drawer and I wanted airflow that runs from drawer's opening to exhaust (200mm Noctua) to go straight from LEFT side mesh intake to three 140mm Noctua's side exhaust. CPU cooler has 2 fans and third one is just case one. Hard to explain, guess this pictures will tell this story much better. :)

Personaly I don't think reversing this setup would have much impact on temperatures. Now it is UP GPU/ LEFT SIDE PSU intake, and RIGHT SIDE exhaust. You are suggesting BOTTOM GPU/ RIGHT SIDE PSU intake, and RIGHT SIDE exhaust.
One could argue that with your version PSU EXHAUST would be facing UP (now it is DOWN), but that exhaust unfortunately hits metal plate in any case.