SFF.Network Streacom Launches the DA2

bubbl3

Case Shuffler
Jul 3, 2018
My latest configuration with no bottom dust filter, bottom intake and everything else desperately trying to get rid of hot air. This is by far the coolest configuration I've tried and I think it's due to the NF-A14 FLX pushing a lot of cool air to rad and CPU.

I do think airflow is very challenging in this case with restricting dust filters on top and bottom with no way to easily mount fans touching them/very close to force hot air out/cool air in. The 92mm rear exhaust is not nearly enought to get rid of all the heat.

As @tinyitx said you should try se the N9S as intake, also you are losing some potential using the redux fans on the cooler, probably 3/4 degrees hotter than with the standard fans.

Sirex

Chassis Packer
Dec 6, 2018
Your report is interesting.
I mean, as for your display card, it is a hybrid. So, the centrifugal fan is exhausting hot air out of the case instead of dumping it inside. This part is well taken care of. For the display card's rad-fan, you have already set it up as exhaust. So, warmed air is also exhausting out of the case via the side panel. This part is also taken care of. As for the CPU, the U9S is also setup to push air upward and out of the case top. Essentially speaking, no warmed air is being exhausted inside the case that needs to be extracted.
Please see the diagram below. Both GPU and CPU has a direct air path exhausting out of the case.

So, I am wondering why you say ''The 92mm rear exhaust is not nearly enought to get rid of all the heat''?

Contrarily, I propose trying to use the 92mm exhaust fan as intake.
The aim is to use it to supply more fresh air to the U9S intake fan (ie the blue arrow in the diagram). I think, currently speaking, the U9S intake fan is getting its air through the side panel vent holes, which might be a little restrictive. So, the rear 92mm fan might supply more needed fresh air. Also, try to lower the 92mm fan downward as far as possible so that the airflow can be received by the U9S intake fan more directly.

No harm to try. I expect the GPU temp will not differ but the CPU temp will be further lowered somewhat.

Make sense?

I'm sorry, what I mean by ''The 92mm rear exhaust is not nearly enought to get rid of all the heat'' is that from previous trials heat buildup inside the case has been an issue. And without most things trying to exhaust hot air out of the case, it just gets too hot inside.

Switching the rear exhaust fan to intake has in previous attempts made the GPU reach 80s due to air being heated by the CPU cooler and fed into the GPU rad + general heat buildup inside the case. But I admit this might well be different now that I am providing fresh air from the bottom and I've got two instead of one fan on the U9S.
As a side note; the 92mm rear fan as intakes makes more noise than as exhaust.

I'll post back with results.

bubbl3

Case Shuffler
Jul 3, 2018
I'm sorry, what I mean by ''The 92mm rear exhaust is not nearly enought to get rid of all the heat'' is that from previous trials heat buildup inside the case has been an issue. And without most things trying to exhaust hot air out of the case, it just gets too hot inside.

Switching the rear exhaust fan to intake has in previous attempts made the GPU reach 80s due to air being heated by the CPU cooler and fed into the GPU rad + general heat buildup inside the case. But I admit this might well be different now that I am providing fresh air from the bottom and I've got two instead of one fan on the U9S.
As a side note; the 92mm rear fan as intakes makes more noise than as exhaust.

I'll post back with results.
Not saying to have the fan fixed to the case as intake, just have the 2 fans on the cooler as I take and get rid of the case fan.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Ok, more tests did and:

@manolo The Dark Rock TF, even if fits in the Gigabyte, could not be mounted because of the Power cord as already shown by @Mini-j

For the PSU issue, I've used 2mm washer instead of a Dremel ;), and works perfectly!

I've switched to an Asus Strix Z390 now. the VRM performance and general look were better in the ASrock, but, the Asus give me the possibility to mount a heatsink on the back M.2, has the amazing bios and better RAM support (physical and of frequency).

Maybe soon I'll switch again!

For now, I'll test it with a custom AIO: Eisbaer LT and HW Labs GTS 240.

BTW, makes sense to use the fans in this way it can results in some airflow issue in the heatsink?
@Nanook , what's your opinion?

A small gallery to show the overnight job! Soon temps and test!

Last edited:

Rikardo

Cable Smoosher
Dec 22, 2018

I'm thinking either this or Ncase M1 for my next build. I have MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X which is a little bit problematic considering mITX cases.
Since 2.5-slot cards might be fine with DA2, I'm wonderding if it would be possible to remove the fans from the Gaming X and squeeze some regular case fans as exhaust between the heatsink and case? I take it Accelero III heatsink or Morpheus II would not fit without slim fans?

bubbl3

Case Shuffler
Jul 3, 2018
Ok, more tests did and:

@manolo The Dark Rock TF, even if fits in the Gigabyte, could not be mounted because of the Power cord as already shown by @Mini-j

For the PSU issue, I've used 2mm washer instead of a Dremel ;), and works perfectly!

I've switched to an Asus Strix Z390 now. the VRM performance and general look were better in the ASrock, but, the Asus give me the possibility to mount a heatsink on the back M.2, has the amazing bios and better RAM support (physical and of frequency).

For now, I'll test it with a custom AIO!

BTW, makes sense to use the fans in this way it can results in some airflow issue in the heatsink?

Great idea to use the bracket for the SSD at the bottom, could actually fit 2 there with both brackets.

Sirex

Chassis Packer
Dec 6, 2018
As @tinyitx said you should try se the N9S as intake, also you are losing some potential using the redux fans on the cooler, probably 3/4 degrees hotter than with the standard fans.
Yeah, I think the NF-A9 provides about 20% more airflow and 40% more static preasure, but they are very hard to come by where I live.

Not saying to have the fan fixed to the case as intake, just have the 2 fans on the cooler as I take and get rid of the case fan.
This means turning the CPU cooler 90 degrees, which I wont bother with right now. But I tested the rear fan as intake (in the lowest position) and exhaust (in the highest position) with GPU and CPU stress test, limiting the i7 9700k to 90W.

With rear exhaust/rear intake:
CPU: 81/80
GPU: 69/70

A tiny bit better CPU temp at the cost of a tiny bit worse GPU temp.

Reactions: tinyitx and bubbl3

bubbl3

Case Shuffler
Jul 3, 2018
Yeah, I think the NF-A9 provides about 20% more airflow and 40% more static preasure, but they are very hard to come by where I live.

This means turning the CPU cooler 90 degrees, which I wont bother with right now. But I tested the rear fan as intake (in the lowest position) and exhaust (in the highest position) with GPU and CPU stress test, limiting the i7 9700k to 90W.

With rear exhaust/rear intake:
CPU: 81/80
GPU: 69/70

A tiny bit better CPU temp at the cost of a tiny bit worse GPU temp.

When I tested the fan fixed to the case as intake and 1 fan on the U9S it was 5 degrees worse than with 2 fans in intake position on the cooler and no fan on the case.

Reactions: tinyitx and Nanook

Rocaxl

Cable Smoosher
Jan 7, 2019

Are you using one fan as intake and one as exhaust on the RAD? Very curious on results.

Last edited:
Reactions: fabio

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Ok, more tests did and:

Wow that looks great! And you accomplished a lot in a short amount of time.
I think you’re on the right track to achieve neutral pressure. Not sure if any alternatives would work well: Without an exhaust to get rid of internal hot air, maybe negative pressure would be worth a try?
I look forward to your test results!

Last edited:

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Wow that looks great! And you accomplished a lot in a short amount of time.
I think you’re on the right track to achieve neutral pressure. Not sure if any alternatives would work well: Without an exhaust to get rid of internal hot air, maybe negative pressure would be worth a try?
I look forward to your test results!
Thanks man!! Later I'll try the three option.

The setup will be:

Latest BIOS, released today
CPU OC at 5GHz
No power limit
Vcore 1.285V
Ram 4000MHz C19
Room temp 22 degrees
Case closed
Fan curve based on ASUS Qfan tuning.
Bottom, Side, and Top filters removed.

1: Both Fans Intake (Positive pressure)
2: Both Fans Exhaust (Negative pressure)
3: 1 Fan Intake, 1 Exhaust (Neutral sressure)

Prime95 29.6 b7 sFFT + Heaven for 30 minutes each test.

I will post HWinfo screenshot!!

Reactions: Nanook and rfarmer

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Thanks man!! Later I'll try the three option.

The setup will be:

Latest BIOS, released today
CPU OC at 5GHz
No power limit
Vcore 1.285V
Ram 4000MHz C19
Room temp 22 degrees
Case closed
Fan curve based on ASUS Qfan tuning.
Bottom, Side, and Top filters removed.

1: Both Fans Intake (Positive pressure)
2: Both Fans Exhaust (Negative pressure)
3: 1 Fan Intake, 1 Exhaust (Neutral sressure)

Prime95 29.6 b7 sFFT + Heaven for 30 minutes each test.

I will post HWinfo screenshot!!
Looking forward to results. Any adjustments to:
  • CPU core ratio? I’m assuming MCE/all-core @5ghz
  • AVX offset? I’m assuming no offset

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
BTW, Alphacool will release, soon I hope, a mini reservoir and pump combo with the DC-LT!!! So we will able to use all the CPU blocks!
MCE disabled, All core 50, AVX -2. If you suggest something else, I will use it!

Reactions: omnikron and Nanook

usul

Case Bender
Jan 11, 2019
Ok, more tests did and:

What kind of temps do you get with the custom AIO? Also is it difficult to fill, etc?

bubbl3

Case Shuffler
Jul 3, 2018
What kind of temps do you get with the custom AIO? Also is it difficult to fill, etc?
Looks like Alphacool stuff, temps are going to be similar to this: https://www.alphacool.com/eisbaer-lt (same block, same radiator).

The cool thing is Alphacool seems to also have a 2080 Ti block that could be connected to that modular AIO, would be great to see such a loop in the DA2.

Here: https://www.alphacool.com/shop/new-...0-gpx-pro-nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080ti-black-m01

You could combine this:
https://www.alphacool.com/shop/new-products/20227/alphacool-eisbaer-280-cpu-black?c=21228

With this:
https://www.alphacool.com/shop/new-...o-nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080ti-black-m01?c=21541

Ditch the rad that comes with the GPU block and you have a single 280 rad, cpu and gpu block both with pump and the CPU one even has a refillable reservoir.

Total investment: 321 EUR , not too bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: selectallfrom

selectallfrom

Chassis Packer
Jan 7, 2019
Ok, more tests did and:

Wow, great job with the build, especially the cable management. I have a SF750 on the way and this some ideal cable routing.

bubbl3

Case Shuffler
Jul 3, 2018
I actually have some mods in mind with the Kraken G12 and some brackets for fans I found, bust will have to wait until have a few hours of time to spend on it next week.

Also, in all honesty: enjoying the adventure here, but I don't see how the DA2 improves anything over the NCASE M1, with all the additional space, it has even more problems. Probably it would be better with a custom loop where you can use all the additional space, but with standard components, is a bit of a letdown.

Last edited:

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
SO, after time spent testing, here the results.

BUT, the MCE was enabled. If not, the CPU under prime was lowered immediately to 3.6GHz (Maybe is a BIOS issue??)

So, OC 5.0GHz, LLC 6. 1.285Vcore, AVX -2, MCE enabled, Prime95 and Unigine Heaven Test

In all the three test, the CPU goes at degree! (WTF! maybe with an AVX of 3/6 will be a lot different)

The best is the INTAKE/FULL POSITIVE PRESSURE
Even if at 100 degrees, the CPU was always working at 4.8GHz, with no drop.

The other 2, the frequency drop!

If you suggest other config or a better way to overclock, please, tell me! Following the screenshots!

IDLE

INTAKE

EXHAUST

NEUTRAL

Reactions: Nanook and brt02

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
Your results follow what i get with my 280mm radiator

-Intake: best CPU, worst GPU (best VRM for me too - your clocks and voltages are higher as are your VRM temps - makes sense)
-Exhaust: worse CPU, best GPU
-Interesting that the neutral option comes in with the worst CPU clocks. I suppose the one fan is sucking in the hot air exhausted out of the other?

Looks like you will have to set a power limit to stop the overheating and throttling. That might be better than setting an AVX offset just to control prime95 that also reduces performance in other less demanding programs.

Voltages look good except VCCSA which is too high. Better to take that off auto, try 1.2375V as a starting point and maybe work from there. That's the voltage I use with RAM at 4133MHz, so hopefully your IMC will work with less than that.