SFF.Network Streacom Launches the DA2

bubbl3

Case Shuffler
Jul 3, 2018
Yes, it does not look like there is an exhaust fan on the side.
Maybe, a stress test can be done without the side panel and see if the thermals improves?
If yes, then one can confirm the high temp is due to a lack of case exhaust rather than a software reading problem.

So far with all these reports, I really sense that this DA2 needs active case ventilation (in and out of the case).
(Hardware Canucks' review has a CPU temp differential of 14C when the 240 rad is inside and outside of the case!)
I think, one reason might be that the air filter is very restrictive to airflow.
If we could only have intake fans at the bottom...

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
Sounds strange to me as well! I 'll try this evening swapping the 9900K with another one. Or maybe is just a not correct temp reading? Using HWinfo 6.
BTW, Prime95 with sFFT is the more stressful test ever done on CPUs! Aida is more "gentle"

If you're using HWinfo, what CPU temperature are you looking at? DTS or motherboard?

AIDA64 reports motherboard reported CPU temperatures, not CPU (DTS) temperatures. For me there is anywhere from 5-15C difference, with DTS being hotter and recording greater temperature fluctuations than the motherboard reported values.

Running an AIDA64 stability test now, after 30 mins

AIDA64 = 63C
Hwinfo ASUS CPU = 63C
Hwinfo DTS core pkg = 71C
Hwinfo DTS core max =75C

AIDA64 (75C) is running warmer than Prime95 26.6 (68C), but cooler than Prime95 29.4 (80C), despite using less power than both.

Last edited:

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
If you're using HWinfo, what CPU temperature are you looking at? DTS or motherboard?

AIDA64 reports motherboard reported CPU temperatures, not CPU (DTS) temperatures. For me there is anywhere from 5-15C difference, with DTS being hotter and recording greater temperature fluctuations than the motherboard reported values.

Running an AIDA64 stability test now, after 30 mins

AIDA64 = 63C
Hwinfo ASUS CPU = 63C
Hwinfo DTS core pkg = 71C
Hwinfo DTS core max =75C

AIDA64 (75C) is running warmer than Prime95 26.6 (68C), but cooler than Prime95 29.4 (80C), despite using less power than both.
Of course CPU package Temp.

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
I've only ever shared core max and it looks like @bubbl3 has been reporting motherboard CPU temp.

In short the temperatures we're reporting are not comparable to each other.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
I
I've only ever shared core max and it looks like @bubbl3 has been reporting motherboard CPU temp.

In short the temperatures we're reporting are not comparable to each other.
I will try aida64 then and report the temperature! Thanks man!

bubbl3

Case Shuffler
Jul 3, 2018
I actually removed the bottom filter and panel (broke it on a side like Dimitri in his video, didn't matter how careful I was...). I also tried to mount a 140mm intake fan at the bottom:

As you see is a super tight fit as you need to work around the border of the fans, it also interferes with the GPU fans speed and makes them run faster and noisier, not worth it.

I ended up just leaving it open:

Not much change for the CPU (2/3 degrees), but for the GPU is night and day, I was able to go back to the default fan curve, stay silent and never go over 80C during Furmark (30 minutes) and kept the 1900MHz boost clock.

Now: I think opening the bottom could be viable to have a radiator for the GPU with the Kraken G12 there!

Takeaway: this case is not easy to work with, definitely a challenge, removing filters helps a lot, be ready to Datavac this thing every month :D

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
So, an update from my side. with the following setup:

ASRock Z390 phantom Gaming ITX
Intel 9900K from SIlicon Lottery 5.1GHz Golden sample (What they say...)
G.Skill 2X16GB Trident Z 4000MHz C19
Samsung 970 Pro 1TB
Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
Samsung 860 Pro 2TB
Nvidia Titan RTX
Seasonic SGX 650

CPU coolers:

Noctua C14S
Noctua U9s
Dark Rock TF

after spent HOURS in between many options, I've figured out:

The C14s:

- can only be mounted in one direction, with the heat pipes facing the VRM heatsink
- The fan should be a bit slid down, and will go against the DA2 frame
- The PSU in this option can only be mounted like in the NCASE M1, because of the horizontal bracket of the PSU plate that interferes with it.
- Because close to the side panel, under load, the sound is more audible than with the panel removed.

Dark Rock TF:

- absolutely not compatible with the ASRock Motherboard, the mounting brackets for 5mm go against the RAM module
- in every direction, the bottom heatsink goes against the VRM heatsink

U9s:

- in the Horizontal configuration, the second fan on the left will go against the VRM heatsink, so should be mounted a bit upper.

Nvidia Titan RTX

- Is crazy hot even in idle because of the weird dust filter in the bottom. Removing it, it stays super cool!

ASRock Z390:

- There is no MCE option in the bios???
- Could not mount a heatsink on the M.2 SSD on the back side, because for 5mm goes against the vertical bracket supporting the MB
- The RAM slot is too close to each other, the Trident Z should be pressed strongly, and barely fit.
- Apart from the VRM and the heatsink, the ASUS Z390, in my opinion, is a better MB overall. Each of them has their own compatibility issue.

Trident Z C14 4000Mhz 32GB Kit:

- Post boot problem running them at XMP 2.0 settings, and is the same on the Asus Z390 Strix, even increasing the Voltage to 1.4
- No problem running at 3733Mhz C17 at 1.35V. WEIRD!

Seasonic:

- The clearance to mount it on the PSU plate is better than the SF600 Platinum, but not perfect. I was able anyway to screw all 6 screws. Streacom told me, in any case, to use spacers with the SF600, to avoid the common issue with the power switch
- The cables are super flexible, and there is no problem with the GPU.

Streacom DA2

- In the "classic" configuration, there is no space for another horizontal bracket on top. 5mm more, and will be possible, for example, to mount an SSD like in my case @Streacom
-The GPU slots are actually a bit too thick, so there is an effective issue with a lot of Display Port Cable. With the EIZO one I had no problem, and no problem with the HDMI.
- Removing the SSD plate for the brackets, one screw was broken. I will contact Streacom to see if there is a solution.

About the performance and temperatures, in my opinion, are very high, but looking at yours, maybe is my problem? After 3 minutes of prime with both the C14s and the U9s, the CPU goes at 100 degrees, with all core at 4.7GHz.
In my DAN case, with a 120mm Rad of 30mm, and the Alphacool DC-LT pump, all core at 4.7MHz, the CPU stay at MAX 85 degrees, with NO airflow at all. and everything more packed!

The difference between the C14s and the U9s doesn't justify the pain to mount the C14s and the clearance limitation. Both are silent and have almost the same performance.

I will try a 240mm Rad to see if I can improve the situation!!! I was surprised by all these small limitations I had!

Maybe @Nanook can suggest me something?

Soon more updates!

The MESS:

Nice builds! The Asrock board doesn't call it MCE in BIOS v1.3. Back in v1.0, they had MCE. in v1.3, they renamed it to "All-cores" and can be found under OC Tweaker >> CPU Configuration >> CPU Ratio >> All Cores

100c after 3 minutes doesn't sound good. Have you tried putting a limit on power draw? (found under OC Tweaker >> CPU Configuration >> bottom of the page) If it still spikes up that high, maybe the cooler needs to be reseated.

My current settings:
5ghz (all cores via CPU Ratio >> All Core >> 50)
215w power limit
-2 AVX offset

My voltage mode is set on AUTO, but from monitors, it maxes out at 1.344v
CPU Load line calibration is level 3 or 4 (I think 4, but may need to report back)
My ram is not overclocked at this point @ 2666ghz

Even on my 240mm AIO, I still have a 215w power limit. Otherwise, the cpu and motherboard pulls an insane amount of power, and cooks everything!

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Nice builds! The Asrock board doesn't call it MCE in BIOS v1.3. Back in v1.0, they had MCE. in v1.3, they renamed it to "All-cores" and can be found under OC Tweaker >> CPU Configuration >> CPU Ratio >> All Cores

100c after 3 minutes doesn't sound good. Have you tried putting a limit on power draw? (found under OC Tweaker >> CPU Configuration >> bottom of the page) If it still spikes up that high, maybe the cooler needs to be reseated.

My current settings:
215w power limit
-2 AVX offset

CPU Load line calibration is level 3 or 4 (I think 4, but may need to report back)

Even on my 240mm AIO, I still have a 215w power limit. Otherwise, the cpu and motherboard pulls an insane amount of power, and cooks everything!
Thanks for the reply!
Well, the problem is that at 4.7 the CPU never goes above 190W, with a voltage of (EDIT!!!) 1.260, checked through AIDA sensors! I’ve tried already to reposition the CPU cooler.
I will try again and I will let you know.
But again, how is possible that A single 120mm rad of 30mm can be cooler of about 15 degrees than the U9s with 2 fans?
I’ll check...

Last edited:

802Shaun

Minimal Tinkerer
Dec 25, 2018

For my ASRock board, I found their version of MCE in the "favorites" menu on the home screen, but couldn't find it anywhere else. Kinda weird.

EDIT: That must have been in pre-1.3 BIOS, as mentioned above by Nanook, because I don't see it at all anymore.

Last edited:

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016

My current settings:
215w power limit
-2 AVX offset

Even on my 240mm AIO, I still have a 215w power limit. Otherwise, the CPU and motherboard pulls an insane amount of power, and cooks everything!

Thanks a lot, man!

I did more tests. I put back the C14s with 2 fans, removed the rear exhaust, and removed all the dust filters.
My settings:

5Ghz All Core
-3 AVX Offset
No power limit
C State Disabled
Auto Voltage (I can go offset -50mv if I want)
Line calibration Level 3
In the ASrock I can only setup the RAM at 3600MHz, C16, 1.350v. In the Asus, I can also config 3733MHz C17 1.350v
CPU in idle: 32/34 Degrees

Under Prime95, CPU has max 215W, and Voltage 1.260/1.270

Temp after 3 minutes, CPU lowered to 4.5GHz:
CPU 115 degrees (HOW IS EVEN POSSIBLE?? The limit in the BIOS is 100 degrees!!)
MB 43 degrees
RAM 38 degrees
PCH 54 degrees
Front M.2 41 degrees
Rear M.2 45 degrees

Under AIDA64, CPU max 140W, Voltage 1.260/1.270V

Temp after 30 minutes:
CPU 85 degrees
MB 45 degrees
RAM 43 degrees
PCH 54 degrees
Front M.2 42 degrees
Rear M.2 46 degrees

Under Intel BurnTest Very High, CPU max 135W, Voltage 1.290V, Time 55 s - Speed 137 (Gflops)

Temp during the 10th/10 test:
CPU 75 degrees
MB 45 degrees
RAM 42 degrees
PCH 55 degrees
Front M.2 42 degrees
Rear M.2 46 degrees

Apart from Prime95, everything is OK! But I really don't understand why this happens...

bubbl3

Case Shuffler
Jul 3, 2018
Thanks a lot, man!

I did more tests. I put back the C14s with 2 fans, removed the rear exhaust, and removed all the dust filters.
My settings:

5Ghz All Core
-3 AVX Offset
No power limit
C State Disabled
Line calibration Level 3
In the ASrock I can only setup the RAM at 3600MHz, C16, 1.350v. In the Asus, I can also config 3733MHz C17 1.350v

MB 43 degrees
RAM 38 degrees
PCH 54 degrees
Front M.2 41 degrees
Rear M.2 45 degrees

Temp after 30 minutes:
CPU 85 degrees
MB 45 degrees
RAM 43 degrees
PCH 54 degrees
Front M.2 42 degrees
Rear M.2 46 degrees

Under Intel BurnTest Very High, CPU max 135W, Voltage 1.290V, Time 55 s - Speed 137 (Gflops)

CPU 75 degrees
MB 45 degrees
RAM 42 degrees
PCH 55 degrees
Front M.2 42 degrees
Rear M.2 46 degrees

Apart from Prime95, everything is OK! But I really don't understand why this happens...
I can't believe it, at 115C it should shutdown.

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
Dont ASRock BIOSes have the option to set Tjmax offsets? I would double check that again. Something is setting Tjmax to 115C. I think you said that you had set it in BIOS, but I can't think of anything else.

Adjusting vPLL can also lead to incorrect CPU DTS reporting, but I'd be very surprised if you had changed that.

On the flip side VRMs are looking good. 90C when delivering 215w of power. Nice. Mine can't get to 170w before throttling.

Veryaton

Average Stuffer
Feb 28, 2017
Dark Rock TF:

- absolutely not compatible with the ASRock Motherboard, the mounting brackets for 5mm go against the RAM module
- in every direction, the bottom heatsink goes against the VRM heatsink
Well, this is very frustranting for me. I have the Dark Rock TF and want to order this Asrock motherboard next week. In the web page of Bequiet it says the Dark Rock TF is compatible with this motherboard... I don't understand...

Fabio, please, when you say than the mounting brackets for 5mm go against the RAM module, have you a photo for I can understand that? Do you mean the heat pipes or the brackets for fix to the motherboard?

In the study fase, before purchase the Dark Rock, I always thought that the only way to mount this heatsink is with the heat pipes facing to the rear of the case and even almost touching the VRM heatsink. And when I saw the compatibility in the Bequiet webpage, I trusted in my assumption.

And now I am very confused. Please, if you could give more info about the problems with the Dark Rock, so I can to see this clearly.

Thanks

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Well, this is very frustranting for me. I have the Dark Rock TF and want to order this Asrock motherboard next week. In the web page of Bequiet it says the Dark Rock TF is compatible with this motherboard... I don't understand...

Fabio, please, when you say than the mounting brackets for 5mm go against the RAM module, have you a photo for I can understand that? Do you mean the heat pipes or the brackets for fix to the motherboard?

In the study fase, before purchase the Dark Rock, I always thought that the only way to mount this heatsink is with the heat pipes facing to the rear of the case and even almost touching the VRM heatsink. And when I saw the compatibility in the Bequiet webpage, I trusted in my assumption.

And now I am very confused. Please, if you could give more info about the problems with the Dark Rock, so I can to see this clearly.

Thanks
Sorry, I have no picture, but I've made a mistake writing it.
The problem are not the mounting brackets, but the BOTTOM CURVING HEATPIPES, that are going against the RAM. To have it, you need to go only with one module of RAM.
And if you try to flip 90 degrees, with the heat pipes facing the top, the bottom heatsink goes for 2mm against the VRM heatsink and against the RAM. Maybe it will work in the Gigabyte Z390 or in the MSI?

But sorry, doesn't work in the ASrock Z390 and I am 99 % sure also in the Asus Z390 Strix!

You can try to force it, like the guy in this link!
http://vivithemage.com/2018/10/26/ncase-m1-v5-and-i9-9900k-work-great/

Reactions: Veryaton

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Dont ASRock BIOSes have the option to set Tjmax offsets? I would double check that again. Something is setting Tjmax to 115C. I think you said that you had set it in BIOS, but I can't think of anything else.

Adjusting vPLL can also lead to incorrect CPU DTS reporting, but I'd be very surprised if you had changed that.

On the flip side VRMs are looking good. 90C when delivering 215w of power. Nice. Mine can't get to 170w before throttling.
You are right, was a BIOS issue. Flashing it with the new 1.50 just released, it has brought back the TjMax to Auto (and can go till 115 degrees...).
Now set up back to 100!
Thanks!

For the VRM temp, I think having the C14S pushing fresh air against the MB and VRM it helps a lot!

Reactions: 802Shaun

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Thanks a lot, man!

My settings:

5Ghz All Core
-3 AVX Offset
No power limit
C State Disabled
Line calibration Level 3

MB 43 degrees
RAM 38 degrees
PCH 54 degrees
Front M.2 41 degrees
Rear M.2 45 degrees

Temp after 30 minutes:
CPU 85 degrees
MB 45 degrees
RAM 43 degrees
PCH 54 degrees
Front M.2 42 degrees
Rear M.2 46 degrees

CPU 75 degrees
MB 45 degrees
RAM 42 degrees
PCH 55 degrees
Front M.2 42 degrees
Rear M.2 46 degrees

Wow!! That is very frustrating to see inconsistencies with the different torture tests...
My initial thought was to ask if the two C14S fans intake or exhaust, as smaller cases usually have the issue with warm air recirculating... but since your other torture tests have OK temps... I’m confused. Have you tried further bumping down the AVX offset, so that Prime95 Small FFT year would be less tortourous?

Veryaton

Average Stuffer
Feb 28, 2017
The problem are not the mounting brackets, but the BOTTOM CURVING HEATPIPES, that are going against the RAM. To have it, you need to go only with one module of RAM.
OK. Then the problem is with the ram, the short heat pipes touch the RAM module, as in the photo. Perhaps a low profile ram doesn't touch?
Thanks

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016

Thanks
You're lucky, I had an unused Gigabyte Z390 (The BIOS was awful and I removed the MB from my DAN).
Here the Dark Rock fit better!! Means that has a bit more space between the socket and the first RAM.
With the ASrock is not possible even to bend a bit the RAM.