SFF.Network Streacom Launches the DA2

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
The most difficult and surprising incompatible building ever made!

With the Asrock Z390 ITX the C14S fits only if you rotate the SFX PSU like in the Ncase M1, otherwise for 5mm will go against the top left bracket where the PSU plate is supported.

And the top fan in the C14s should be in any case slided a bit down...

I’ll try the Dark Rock TF before to end with the U9s!

BTW, removing the SSD plate, one screw broken inside!

More update later!

Last edited:
Reactions: 802Shaun

Mini-j

Efficiency Noob
Jan 8, 2019
Problems between the Dark Rock TF and the power cable?
Yes, unfortunately I couldn’t install the
Mobo without unscrewing the power cable from the case and leaving it hanging out the back of the case. I was hoping I could just remove one of the fans but it’s right on the heatsink itself and the cooler only seems to fit ok in that rotation.

bubbl3

Case Shuffler
Jul 3, 2018
Take 3, version B :D

Removed the slim 92mm fans, redid cable management, much cleaner now.

All fans are on silent curve provided by ASUS and yes, they're really silent even under load.

Before

After

The curve is more consistent, rare peaks over 80C and much more silent, will leave like this for a while as it's probably time to enjoy this thing :D

Takeaway: CPU fans as horizontal intake and strong exhaust on the side seem to be best in the DA2, need to build that airflow. Just imagine what we could do if there was enough space for couple of slim bottom intake fans... Streacom, I'm looking at you :D

Last edited:

selectallfrom

Chassis Packer
Jan 7, 2019
Quick question about custom cables. I haven't done anything over my build for the last few days but i was researching the option of changing the PSU cables to something more easily bendable. The cables with the SF600 doesn't seem to wish to bend too much.

I've seen some in various sites but i don't really understand the material differences and most importantly adding all the required cables makes a sum higher than my PSU cost it self!

Is this the norm or im doing things wrong.

Custom PSU cables tend to be pricey and there are variety for materials used (typically paracord or nylon). For example, I had custom paracord sleeved cables in the past and though they looked very nice, they were not particularly bendable. modDIY makes lower cost custom PSU cable sets and also has cables without sleeving (Ultra-Soft Silicone Wire & Premium Silver Wire). I cannot speak to the quality of these cables, but they look much more bendable. I plan on going the custom cable route with my PSU once I get my build finalized.

Reactions: ShaMana

selectallfrom

Chassis Packer
Jan 7, 2019
Take 3, version B :D

Removed the slim 92mm fans, redid cable management, much cleaner now.

Both all fans are on silent curve provided by ASUS and yes, they're really silent even under load.

Before

After

The curve is more consistent, rare peaks over 80C and much more silent, will leave like this for a while as it's probably time to enjoy this thing :D

Takeaway: CPU fans as horizontal intake and strong exhaust on the side seem to be best in the DA2, need to build that airflow. Just imagine what we could do if there was enough space for couple of slim bottom intake fans... Streacom, I'm looking at you :D

Great to hear this layout is working so well...you are taking a lot of guess work out my final build. Can you tell me how much clearance there is between the GPU and exhaust fan? I am trying to determine if using the EVGA PowerLink to route the PCIE cables to the side of the gpu will leave enough room for dual 92mm fans.

bubbl3

Case Shuffler
Jul 3, 2018
Great to hear this layout is working so well...you are taking a lot of guess work out my final build. Can you tell me how much clearance there is between the GPU and exhaust fan? I am trying to determine if using the EVGA PowerLink to route the PCIE cables to the side of the gpu will leave enough room for dual 92mm fans.
Happy to help, but I'm sorry to say the EVGA PowerLink won't help, it's even bulkier than the PCI-E connectors, I also have one and it occupies more space making it even harder. There is basically no way to have a fan past those connectors, unless you go for a 15mm one and would be super tight anyway.
The issue with slim fans is: you can't fit 2x120 and the 92mm ones can't compete with a single NF-A12x25 that is moving even more air than the Corsair ML140 and Vardar 140mm (I tested them, the noctua is also much more silent).

Reactions: selectallfrom

selectallfrom

Chassis Packer
Jan 7, 2019
Happy to help, but I'm sorry to say the EVGA PowerLink won't help, it's even bulkier than the PCI-E connectors, I also have one and it occupies more space making it even harder. There is basically no way to have a fan past those connectors, unless you go for a 15mm one and would be super tight anyway.
The issue with slim fans is: you can fit 2x120 and the 92mm ones can't compete with a single NF-A12x25 that is moving even more air than the Corsair ML140 and Vardar 140mm (I tested them, the noctua is also much more silent).
Drat, thanks for checking. Once my case comes in I will have to do some testing with some spare 120/140 fans I have laying around to see if they can get close to what you are getting with the NF-A12x25.

Reactions: bubbl3

bubbl3

Case Shuffler
Jul 3, 2018
I would also suggest that unless you have intake fans directly on it, the magnetic dust filter should be removed. I had it on the back and noticed that side getting quite warm, the GPU was pushing air towards there and the filter was blocking airflow.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I wonder if a RTX 2060 FE, having its PCIe power connector at the rear end, can allow a 12x25 fan to get between it and the side panel?

Pic here:-
https://www.techradar.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2060

And, there are some very slim 180-degree PCIe power adapters (5-6mm thick only, IIRC, which is much thinner than a regular PCIe male plug with cables(say around 20mm) that might be used to provide enough space to get a 12x25mm fan in between?

Last edited:

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018

All fans are on silent curve provided by ASUS and yes, they're really silent even under load.

For this setup, when under gaming load, do you feel a noticeable amount of hot air being pushed out from the side panel?
Say, if the case rests on the desk next to you (about 0.5 metre or 2 feet away), can you feel the hot/warm air blowing toward you?

This setup might just be the one I will use when I come to build a DA2 system.

Last edited:

gotcha43

Average Stuffer
Dec 10, 2018
I wonder if a RTX 2060 FE, having its PCIe power connector at the rear end, can allow a 12x25 fan to get between it and the side panel?

And, there are some very slim 180-degree PCIe power adapters (5-6mm thick only, IIRC, which is much thinner than a regular PCIe male plug with cables(say around 20mm) that might be used to provide enough space to get a 12x25mm fan in between?
Do you have a Link for such 180degree Adapters?
Sounds very Good.

bubbl3

Case Shuffler
Jul 3, 2018
For this setup, when under gaming load, do you feel a noticeable amount of hot air being pushed out from the side panel?
Say, if the case rests on the desk next to you (about 0.5 metre or 2 feet away), can you feel the hot/warm air blowing toward you?

This setup might just be the one I will use when I come to build a DA2 system.
I think you would definitely feel it, but I keep my PC on the left since years due to space constraints and so I don't.

EDIT: I just re-read you said half meter, then I am not sure, that's a long distance. I just tested this for you and at half meter is hard to tell, but if you had you mouse pad and your hand neat there, you would.

Last edited:
Reactions: tinyitx

bubbl3

Case Shuffler
Jul 3, 2018

Even without the connectors, 25mm is out of the question, maybe 15mm if nothing interferes with the blades.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
So, an update from my side. with the following setup:

ASRock Z390 phantom Gaming ITX
Intel 9900K from SIlicon Lottery 5.1GHz Golden sample (What they say...)
G.Skill 2X16GB Trident Z 4000MHz C19
Samsung 970 Pro 1TB
Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
Samsung 860 Pro 2TB
Nvidia Titan RTX
Seasonic SGX 650

CPU coolers:

Noctua C14S
Noctua U9s
Dark Rock TF

after spent HOURS in between many options, I've figured out:

The C14s:

- can only be mounted in one direction, with the heat pipes facing the VRM heatsink
- The fan should be a bit slid down, and will go against the DA2 frame
- The PSU in this option can only be mounted like in the NCASE M1, because of the horizontal bracket of the PSU plate that interferes with it.
- Because close to the side panel, under load, the sound is more audible than with the panel removed.

Dark Rock TF:

- absolutely not compatible with the ASRock Motherboard, the mounting brackets for 5mm go against the RAM module
- in every direction, the bottom heatsink goes against the VRM heatsink

U9s:

- in the Horizontal configuration, the second fan on the left will go against the VRM heatsink, so should be mounted a bit upper.

Nvidia Titan RTX

- Is crazy hot even in idle because of the weird dust filter in the bottom. Removing it, it stays super cool!

ASRock Z390:

- There is no MCE option in the bios???
- Could not mount a heatsink on the M.2 SSD on the back side, because for 5mm goes against the vertical bracket supporting the MB
- The RAM slot is too close to each other, the Trident Z should be pressed strongly, and barely fit.
- Apart from the VRM and the heatsink, the ASUS Z390, in my opinion, is a better MB overall. Each of them has their own compatibility issue.

Trident Z C14 4000Mhz 32GB Kit:

- Post boot problem running them at XMP 2.0 settings, and is the same on the Asus Z390 Strix, even increasing the Voltage to 1.4
- No problem running at 3733Mhz C17 at 1.35V. WEIRD!

Seasonic:

- The clearance to mount it on the PSU plate is better than the SF600 Platinum, but not perfect. I was able anyway to screw all 6 screws. Streacom told me, in any case, to use spacers with the SF600, to avoid the common issue with the power switch
- The cables are super flexible, and there is no problem with the GPU.

Streacom DA2

- In the "classic" configuration, there is no space for another horizontal bracket on top. 5mm more, and will be possible, for example, to mount an SSD like in my case @Streacom
-The GPU slots are actually a bit too thick, so there is an effective issue with a lot of Display Port Cable. With the EIZO one I had no problem, and no problem with the HDMI.
- Removing the SSD plate for the brackets, one screw was broken. I will contact Streacom to see if there is a solution.

About the performance and temperatures, in my opinion, are very high, but looking at yours, maybe is my problem? After 3 minutes of prime with both the C14s and the U9s, the CPU goes at 100 degrees, with all core at 4.7GHz.
In my DAN case, with a 120mm Rad of 30mm, and the Alphacool DC-LT pump, all core at 4.7MHz, the CPU stay at MAX 85 degrees, with NO airflow at all. and everything more packed!

The difference between the C14s and the U9s doesn't justify the pain to mount the C14s and the clearance limitation. Both are silent and have almost the same performance.

I will try a 240mm Rad to see if I can improve the situation!!! I was surprised by all these small limitations I had!

Maybe @Nanook can suggest me something?

Soon more updates!

The MESS:

Last edited:

bubbl3

Case Shuffler
Jul 3, 2018
So, an update from my side. with the following setup:

ASRock Z390 phantom Gaming ITX
Intel 9900K from SIlicon Lottery 5.1GHz GOlden sample (What they say...)
G.Skill 2X16GB Trident Z 4000MHz C19
Samsung 970 Pro 1TB
Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
Samsung 860 Pro 2TB
Nvidia Titan RTX
Seasonic SGX 650

CPU coolers:

Noctua C14S
Noctua U9s
Dark Rock TF

after spent HOURS in between many options, I've figured out:

The C14s:

- can only be mounted in one direction, with the heat pipes facing the VRM heatsink
- The fan should be a bit slid down, and will go against the DA2 frame
- The PSU in this option can only be mounted like in the NCASE M1, because of the horizontal bracket of the PSU plate that interferes with it.
- Because close to the side panel, under load, the sound is more audible than with the panel removed.

Dark Rock TF:

- absolutely not compatible with the ASRock Motherboard, the mounting brackets for 5mm go against the RAM module
- in every direction, the bottom heatsink goes against the VRM heatsink

U9s:

- in the Horizontal configuration, the second fan on the left will go against the VRM heatsink, so should be mounted a bit upper.

Nvidia Titan RTX

- Is crazy hot even in idle because of the weird dust filter in the bottom. Removing it, it stays super cool!

ASRock Z390:

- There is no MCE option in the bios???
- Could not mount a heatsink on the M.2 SSD on the back side, because for 5mm goes against the vertical bracket supporting the MB

Trident Z C14 4000Mhz 32GB Kit:

- Post boot problem running them at XMP 2.0 settings, and is the same on the Asus Z390 Strix, even increasing the Voltage to 1.4
- No problem running at 3733Mhz C17 at 1.35V. WEIRD!

Seasonic:

- The clearance to mount it on the PSU plate is better than the SF600 Platinum, but not perfect. I was able anyway to screw all 6 screws. Streacom told me, in any case, to use spacers with the SF600, to avoid the common issue with the power switch
- The cables are super flexible, and there is no problem with the GPU.

Streacom DA2

- In the "classic" configuration, there is no space for another horizontal bracket on top. 5mm more, and will be possible, for example, to mount an SSD like in my case @Streacom
-The GPU slots are actually a bit too thick, so there is an effective issue with a lot of Display Port Cable. With the EIZO one I had no problem, and no problem with the HDMI.
- Removing the SSD plate for the brackets, one screw was broken. I will contact Streacom to see if there is a solution.

About the performance and temperatures, in my opinion, are very high, but looking at yours, maybe is my problem? After 3 minutes of prime with both the C14s and the U9s, the CPU goes at 100 degrees, with all core at 4.7GHz.
In my DAN case, with a 120mm Rad of 30mm, and the Alphacool DC-LT pump, all core at 4.7MHz, the CPU stay at MAX 85 degrees, with NO airflow at all. and everything more packed!

The difference between the C14s and the U9s doesn't justify the pain to mount the C14s and the clearance limitation. Both are silent and have almost the same performance.

I will try a 240mm Rad to see if I can improve the situation!!! I was surprised by all these small limitations I had!

Maybe @Nanook can suggest me something?

Soon more updates!

The MESS:

Your CPU temps do not make much sense to me, the U9S gets even more green light from Noctua for the 9900K than the 2700X: https://noctua.at/en/cpu/Intel_Core_i9-9900K

Prime for me doesn't get the CPU as hot as AIDA64 stress test... looks like the cooler is already intake, do you have and exhaust fan on the side? Without it there is no real airflow to take air out of the case.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Your CPU temps do not make much sense to me, the U9S gets even more green light from Noctua for the 9900K than the 2700X: https://noctua.at/en/cpu/Intel_Core_i9-9900K

Prime for me doesn't get the CPU as hot as AIDA64 stress test... looks like the cooler is already intake, do you have and exhaust fan on the side? Without it there is no real airflow to take air out of the case.
Sounds strange to me as well! I 'll try this evening swapping the 9900K with another one. Or maybe is just a not correct temp reading? Using HWinfo 6.
BTW, Prime95 with sFFT is the more stressful test ever done on CPUs! Aida is more "gentle"

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018

Yes, it does not look like there is an exhaust fan on the side.
Maybe, a stress test can be done without the side panel and see if the thermals improves?
If yes, then one can confirm the high temp is due to a lack of case exhaust rather than a software reading problem.

So far with all these reports, I really sense that this DA2 needs active case ventilation (in and out of the case).
(Hardware Canucks' review has a CPU temp differential of 14C when the 240 rad is inside and outside of the case!)
I think, one reason might be that the air filter is very restrictive to airflow.

Last edited:

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Yes, it does not look like there is an exhaust fan on the side.
Maybe, a stress test can be done without the side panel and see if the thermals improve?
If yes, then one can confirm the high temp is due to a lack of case exhaust rather than a software reading problem.
In the C14s option, the 92mm fan is an Exhaust fan. To put the side exhaust with the U9s I need to turn 90 degrees the PSU. I'll try it as well this night.
Tried to remove the side panel during the stress test, and it changes only a few degrees. I was expecting to get similar results as the 120mm AIO!