SFF.Network Streacom Launches the DA2

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018

On top, again mounted on two brackets. Again it fits, but barely.

Can't fit my 280mm AIO at the front. Bottom of fans hits GPU

For the rear of the case: 140mm fan fouls on front I/O and GPU, 120mm should fit in space, but don't have one test for sure. 92mm fans fit fine.
Interesting, I reckon this may allow use of 240mm radiator and maybe a full size pump/res. where the SFX PSU would go, but would be worth getting a few 120/240mm rads and watercooling parts and see how it may be possible to piece together a loop using these parts to see what would give the most efficient and effective loop.

Is it possible to mount the PSU directly above the motherboard on the top brackets, positioned so it does not obstruct any radiators?

I feel like using the HDPlex could allow for a lot of additional cooling options, if positioned correctly :p
BTW thanks heaps for trying this for us, it's really interesting seeing how you can take advantage of this chassis' versatility

Mini-j

Efficiency Noob
Jan 8, 2019
Just a quick heads up to anyone considering the be quiet! Dark Rock TF for the Streacom DA2. I completed a build with this last night on the Gigabyte z390 I gaming wifi mobo. Everything fits except the dark rock interferes with the rear power connector. I’ve had to unscrew the connector and leave it hanging out the back of the case.
Will try post detailed pics of the build tonight.

Reactions: tinyitx

Mini-j

Efficiency Noob
Jan 8, 2019
Just a quick heads up to anyone considering the be quiet! Dark Rock TF for the Streacom DA2. I completed a build with this last night on the Gigabyte z390 I gaming wifi mobo. Everything fits except the dark rock interferes with the rear power connector. I’ve had to unscrew the connector and leave it hanging out the back of the case.
Will try post detailed pics of the build tonight.
Sorry, I should have also mentioned I’ve had to mod the lower heatsink of the dark rock tf due to interference with heatsinks on the mobo and the ram. Again, will do pics when I can.

Reactions: brt02 and tinyitx

bubbl3

Case Shuffler
Jul 3, 2018
So, here is my take 3 to the DA2, reinstalled the U9S horizontally but with fans as intake and a NF-A12x25 as exhaust. Everything was ready for the Kraken G12 but as I was considering in another post, the card becomes too tall even with a low profile AIO pump like the H55, the sleeve with the logo needs to be dremeled. Well, the case is ready for it and I even have the hub of an old H200i on the side of the PSU ready for the additional fans :) By the way, CPU temps are amazing this way!

The two 92x15mm fans are intake on the back and exhaust on top.

More images here:

Forgot to mention this was only possible with low profile ram (2x16GB Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200), the dominator would fit but block almost half of the intake fan, not recommended.

Last edited:

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
So, here is my take 3 to the DA2, reinstalled the U9S horizontally but with fans as intake and a NF-A12x25 as exhaust. Everything was ready for the Kraken G12 but as I was considering in another post, the card becomes too tall even with a low profile AIO pump like the H55, the sleeve with the logo needs to be dremeled. Well, the case is ready for it and I even have the hub of an old H200i on the side of the PSU ready for the additional fans :) By the way, CPU temps are amazing this way!
Good report!
Some comments:-
a. I wonder if the rear intaking 15mm fan is supplying fresh air fast enough for the 25mm push fan of the U9S?
If not, then it might impedes the airflow rather than helping. Might try removing it to see if there is a (slight) further decrease in CPU temp?
b. How do you fix the exhaust fan to the top? Using the 2 horizontal brackets (originally on the case bottom)?
c. I gather that the NF-A12x25 is the main exhausting fan (excluding the top 92x15 fan which, IMHO, does not help much) to extract both hot air from CPU and GPU. If so, I wonder, if it is replaced by two NF-A9 fans, would this further help decreasing the CPU and GPU temp? Of course, this will be a trade-off of thermal vs acoustic.

bubbl3

Case Shuffler
Jul 3, 2018
Good report!
Some comments:-
a. I wonder if the rear intaking 15mm fan is supplying fresh air fast enough for the 25mm push fan of the U9S?
If not, then it might impedes the airflow rather than helping. Might try removing it to see if there is a (slight) further decrease in CPU temp?
b. How do you fix the exhaust fan to the top? Using the 2 horizontal brackets (originally on the case bottom)?
c. I gather that the NF-A12x25 is the main exhausting fan (excluding the top 92x15 fan which, IMHO, does not help much) to extract both hot air from CPU and GPU. If so, I wonder, if it is replaced by two NF-A9 fans, would this further help decreasing the CPU and GPU temp? Of course, this will be a trade-off of thermal vs acoustic.

Thanks!

a. next time I open it up I plan to remove the 2 slim fans, don't thing they are doing much tbh

b. yes using the 2 brackets that were at the bottom

c. I actually have this being delivered by end of week:

My plan is to take the 2 middle connectors and use 2xNF-A12x15 as exhaust, but the NF-A9 could be good as well with the right fan curve.

Reactions: tinyitx

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
c. I actually have this being delivered by end of week:

My plan is to take the 2 middle connectors and use 2xNF-A12x15 as exhaust, but the NF-A9 could be good as well with the right fan curve.
Looking good. A NF-A12x15 fan (94.2 m3/hr, 23.9dba) provides more air with a slight increase in noise over a NF-A9x25 (78.9 m3/hr, 22.8dba).

Why do you need the fan connectors? For aesthetic? Can't the two fans be mounted onto the brackets with some siliconne mounts or some screws?

bubbl3

Case Shuffler
Jul 3, 2018
Looking good. A NF-A12x15 fan (94.2 m3/hr, 23.9dba) provides more air with a slight increase in noise over a NF-A9x25 (78.9 m3/hr, 22.8dba).

Why do you need the fan connectors? For aesthetic? Can't the two fans be mounted onto the brackets with some siliconne mounts or some screws?

I only have 2 vertical brackets, so to mount 2 o those I need the connector in the middle. Basically mounting them like if I had a 240mm radiator.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I only have 2 vertical brackets, so to mount 2 o those I need the connector in the middle. Basically mounting them like if I had a 240mm radiator.
Ah...OK...for some strange reason, I thought the height is enough for you to mount 2 fans vertically, one above the other. Maybe, my mind was still stuck with using two 92mm fans (vs two 120mm fans). I wonder, if two 92mm fans can actually be installed in that fashion. Can you make a quick measurement? Thanks.

bubbl3

Case Shuffler
Jul 3, 2018
Ah...OK...for some strange reason, I thought the height is enough for you to mount 2 fans vertically, one above the other. Maybe, my mind was still stuck with using two 92mm fans (vs two 120mm fans). I wonder, if two 92mm fans can actually be installed in that fashion. Can you make a quick measurement? Thanks.
2x92mm vertical is doable but in my case the second fan (bottom) conflicts with the GPU, would have to use slim ones and therefore not worth it, but of course may work for others.

roozter

Caliper Novice
Dec 15, 2018

More images here:

Forgot to mention this was only possible with low profile ram (2x16GB Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200), the dominator would fit but block almost half of the intake fan, not recommended.

Very nice indeed! The CPU cooler has the same layout of the ncase m1 by Ali of Optimum Tech except no rear and top slim fans. Thank you for doing this, it surely helps a lot.

No the slim fans has no significant effect/help in cooling the case?

bubbl3

Case Shuffler
Jul 3, 2018
Very nice indeed! The CPU cooler has the same layout of the ncase m1 by Ali of Optimum Tech except no rear and top slim fans. Thank you for doing this, it surely helps a lot.

No the slim fans has no significant effect/help in cooling the case?
I suspect so, I will remove the slim fans today and test again.

There's another test I may do, Noctua D9L with fans as intake and 2x25mm exhaust (the shorter cooler would allow that), but I believe CPU temps may be worse.

In their CPU compatibility list Noctua does put U9S and D9L in the same league: https://noctua.at/en/cpu/AMD_Ryzen_7_2700X

Reactions: brt02 and roozter

bubbl3

Case Shuffler
Jul 3, 2018
I suspect having a hybrid card in a DA2, together with a CPU air cooler, can be quite challenging, thermally speaking.
(ref: member Sirex's post #306)
I believe so, for now I'll keep my card stock, 79/80C during long gaming sessions is not bad, especially with max 60% fan speed.

The only way I see it possible is to get the D9L in a loose a few degrees on CPU, use the CPU cooler as intake and have 2x120mm exhaust fans on the side with the radiator of the GPU on one.

Still, with my config the exhaust fan is spitting out so much hot air, not sure if the radiator would be able to perform, even if probably lots of that hot air is from the GPU, guess we won't know until someone tests it.

Reactions: selectallfrom

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
Interesting, I reckon this may allow use of 240mm radiator and maybe a full size pump/res. where the SFX PSU would go, but would be worth getting a few 120/240mm rads and watercooling parts and see how it may be possible to piece together a loop using these parts to see what would give the most efficient and effective loop.

Is it possible to mount the PSU directly above the motherboard on the top brackets, positioned so it does not obstruct any radiators?

I feel like using the HDPlex could allow for a lot of additional cooling options, if positioned correctly :p
BTW thanks heaps for trying this for us, it's really interesting seeing how you can take advantage of this chassis' versatility

You would have to change the orientation of the hdplex unit so that it goes from front to back as opposed to side to side as my previous pictures have shown it. If i take my motherboard out of the case, I can install brackets and see how it fits.

I suspect so, I will remove the slim fans today and test again.

There's another test I may do, Noctua D9L with fans as intake and 2x25mm exhaust (the shorter cooler would allow that), but I believe CPU temps may be worse.

In their CPU compatibility list Noctua does put U9S and D9L in the same league: https://noctua.at/en/cpu/AMD_Ryzen_7_2700X

I am also having a third stab at my build....

Installed a rear exhaust fan (slim noctua a9x14) yesterday and it made no difference to any of my temperatures. I have a different setup to you, but it looks like the result is the same. I will probably remove this fan.

Installed a second slim 92mm fan as intake at the bottom of my case next to my GPU. That dropped my GPU temperatures by 5C (71C to 66C) in Furmark . I felt the GPU was recirculating its own air before, so this intake was supposed help to stop that.

Trying out new positions for my SF600 PSU too. I dont have any SATA SSDs, so i took that mount out and can slide the PSU along the full length of the bracket. Hopefully I can push the PSU forwards, place all the excess cabling behind the PSU and clear the rear, bottom half of the case for an exhaust fan. We'll see.

Also rewiring fans for the AIO, so I can control them from the BIOS and get rid of NZXT CAM.

When i finish i'll upload pictures.

@ bubbl3 Can you install brackets over the motherboard with the motherboard in place? I tried yesterday and failed, not sure if i'm being a n00b.

bubbl3

Case Shuffler
Jul 3, 2018
@ bubbl3 Can you install brackets over the motherboard with the motherboard in place? I tried yesterday and failed, not sure if i'm being a n00b.

You definitely can, but tolerance is super low with the MB in, what I did was unscrew the top right corner screw of the motherboard and rotate the motherboard bracket to allow more space. BUT it was useless work, as after then I realized I could not mount the fan as the screws need to be installed from the top XD

So no, I removed the mobo, installed the fan on the brackets, mounted the brackets and then reinstalled the mobo :D

ShaMana

Trash Compacter
Nov 27, 2018
Quick question about custom cables. I haven't done anything over my build for the last few days but i was researching the option of changing the PSU cables to something more easily bendable. The cables with the SF600 doesn't seem to wish to bend too much.

I've seen some in various sites but i don't really understand the material differences and most importantly adding all the required cables makes a sum higher than my PSU cost it self!

Is this the norm or im doing things wrong.

Reactions: Veryaton