SFF.Network Streacom Launches the DA2

bubbl3

Case Shuffler
Jul 3, 2018
Not bad!!! Maybe, with a DDC XRES 100 and one 240mm and 1 120mm, you can have everything inside! And is more than enough! I think the D5 plus mounting bracket/whatever, doesn't fit inside... in depth, but maybe I am wrong!
I think you are right, with a 120mm on the side I could have the res pump in front of the PSU.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
I think you are right, with a 120mm on the side I could have the res pump in front of the PSU.
I remember I've checked. The DDC Xres is 138mm, in fact! It just fits! Maybe you can think also a 140mm in front of the CPU (but I don't think will work, you need space to route the tubes), having a bigger fan for the general airflow. You can even have the front as intake and the bottom as exhaust

Reactions: bubbl3

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Another test done with Blender at 5.1GHz! Love this build! I think that having the GPU under water I could have space for two fans under it to exhaust air, maybe!

Reactions: brt02

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Can you tell me @tinyitx is the 8700k delidded? If not those are not bad temps.

Yes, his 8700K is delidded.

Some other information I gleaned from his post:-

a. his Silver Arrow 130 came with a pair of fan clips meant for the stock TR fan. But those clips fit his Bequiet fan as well. He also bought a pair of universal clips from TR in case the stock clips do not work.
So, this might mean TR is supplying non-standard fan clips in the package but universal clips are available for order.

b. the lower mounting bracket interferes with the M.2 heatsink cover. The cover needs to be removed before installing the mounting bracket. Even so, the cover cannot be installed back fully as one of the screw has conflict. He ends up using a 3rd party SSD heatsink.

c. the Bequiet fan has conflict with the Asus Z370I upper VRM heatsink and is unable to go lower down into an ideal position. It can go down if the fan is shifted slightly off centre. Or, it can remain in the central position but sticking up a little. Fortunately. DA2 has clearance of 145mm and so this is not a problem.

d. Thermalright's mounting mechanism is not as well designed as Noctua's. I think this is a well known fact.

e. His glass side panel is a, sort of, 'one-way mirror ' type. This is quite interesting. If there is no light inside the case, then you cannot see through into the case. When there is light inside (eg those RGB effect), then you can see the light source.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
@Nanook Sorry to bother you, again.
Something strange happened, again and again.
When turned on, after the Windows login, my screen is "Black". So I force the shutdown and restart.
Now I can log in, but the GPU drivers are not installed anymore. Sometimes, after 1 minute it recovers the drivers, so the system is fully functional again, sometimes it gets black, again.
Is it possible that is related to the BIOS or Windows, or whatever?
I've updated to the latest bios, but I think is worse. Tried to reflash the previous one, but now EZ flash gives me an error that the file is not a proper file??? (The same USB and file used one month ago to update it...)
I don't think is the GPU, and I'll test it on another system, but it's so weird!

bubbl3

Case Shuffler
Jul 3, 2018
When turned on, after the Windows login, my screen is "Black". So I force the shutdown and restart.
Now I can log in, but the GPU drivers are not installed anymore. Sometimes, after 1 minute it recovers the drivers, so the system is fully functional again, sometimes it gets black, again.
I've updated to the latest bios, but I think is worse. Tried to reflash the previous one, but now EZ flash gives me an error that the file is not a proper file??? (The same USB and file used one month ago to update it...)
I don't think is the GPU, and I'll test it on another system, but it's so weird!
Test the GPU as I was having that problem before it died....

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Test the GPU as I was having that problem before it died....
I'll do, but I think is more related to drivers... And the TItan RTX has Samsung Memory and should be ok, no one is reporting issues with it...
I'll revert the BIOS and drivers to the 417.71 and we see. It's like windows trying to boot on the iGPU or kind of dual monitor setup. TMaybe I try to manually disable the integrated graphics form the BIOS as well

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Update from my side:

Everything now is working!
I've uninstalled the last drivers with DDU and reinstalled the 417.71. No problem anymore.
Few info discovered:

- Updating the ASUS Z390 ITX to the last 2012 BIOS, is not anymore possible to install one of the previous 1XXX version.
I was only able to installe the previous BETA, but still a 2XXX version. Maybe ASUS will fix this?

- In the BIOS, the PCI express show only that is working at x8 speed. Is it possible that is related to the x2 M.2 SSD Installed?

I thought that they were both linked to the PCH!

Last edited:
Reactions: bubbl3

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Hmm sorry to hear! Have you tried older drivers?
Edit: never mind... sounds like you’ve tried multiple driver /firmware. Are your drives in raid/stripe? If not, is it possible to try removing one m.2 to see if the gpu runs at full speed?

Reactions: fabio

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Hmm sorry to hear! Have you tried older drivers?
Edit: never mind... sounds like you’ve tried multiple driver /firmware. Are your drives in raid/stripe? If not, is it possible to try removing one m.2 to see if the gpu runs at full speed?
I will test removing the back SSD, didn’t think to do it. I will let you know, thanks!

Reactions: Nanook

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
Update from my side:

Everything now is working!
I've uninstalled the last drivers with DDU and reinstalled the 417.71. No problem anymore.
Few info discovered:

- Updating the ASUS Z390 ITX to the last 2012 BIOS, is not anymore possible to install one of the previous 1XXX version.
I was only able to installe the previous BETA, but still a 2XXX version. Maybe ASUS will fix this?

- In the BIOS, the PCI express show only that is working at x8 speed. Is it possible that is related to the x2 M.2 SSD Installed?

I thought that they were both linked to the PCH!

Both M.2 slots are linked to PCH.
Only uses CPU PCI-E lanes if you have the hyper m.2 PCI-E card installed and configured in BIOS.

Can try this to rollback BIOS - at your own risk
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...-in-DOS-with-USB-tutorial-Intel-AMD-roll-back

Last edited:

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Both M.2 slots are linked to PCH.
Only uses CPU PCI-E lanes if you have the hyper m.2 PCI-E card installed and configured in BIOS.

Can try this to rollback BIOS - at your own risk
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...-in-DOS-with-USB-tutorial-Intel-AMD-roll-back
Thank you! I'll try it soon, I am waiting for the GPU water block.
I had again the drivers reset issue. So, Switched again to the ASRock Z390, and is totally gone. So, it's a BIOS issue. Hope ASUS will fix it ASAP!

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
A very short summary of the video:- DA2 has over restrictive top and bottom filters.
I hope the side panel has a more dense hole pattern to increase breathability too.

bubbl3

Case Shuffler
Jul 3, 2018
A very short summary of the video:- DA2 has over restrictive top and bottom filters.
I hope the side panel has a more dense hole pattern to increase breathability too.
Exactly why I am moving to the NCASE, very disappointed with the DA2, bigger case with less airflow, good only if water cooled.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Exactly why I am moving to the NCASE, very disappointed with the DA2, bigger case with less airflow, good only if water cooled.
I am an air cooling guy and I want to see more air-cooled DA2 builds, hopefully with the Thermalright SA13.
Removing the top and bottom filters is an acceptable move for me though.
Currently, I am checking out the new Deng F15 which might compete with DA2 for my case of choice for my next build.

Reactions: omnikron

bubbl3

Case Shuffler
Jul 3, 2018
I am an air cooling guy and I want to see more air-cooled DA2 builds, hopefully with the Thermalright SA13.
Removing the top and bottom filters is an acceptable move for me though.
Currently, I am checking out the new Deng F15 which might compete with DA2 for my case of choice for my next build.
I have a SA130 on order but it will probably go in my ncase, I spent a long time with the DA2 and is very hard to build good airflow as I don't want to remove the filters (I may as well just use an openbench then).

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
First build finally done. Thanks for those that have gone through all of the trial and error of experimenting with different layouts. Not crazy about the temps I am seeing with the air cooler (high 80s), and the Chromax exhaust is pretty anemic. Will likely have to adjust voltage or drop my slight OC. I had the Chromax fans from a failed custom loop build, but I may break up the black theme and go with NF-A12x25s or switch to an AIO.

I found the minimum fan rpm on my founders 2080 ti too loud for my setup. The Asus ROG Strix 2080 Ti OC was a challenge to install. Ultimately I had to remove the bottom horizontal case bracket to fit it in. However after some initial testing I am much happier with the sound profile and the temps stayed in the low 70s.

I was wondering, any problem to mount the left fan??

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I have a SA130 on order but it will probably go in my ncase, I spent a long time with the DA2 and is very hard to build good airflow as I don't want to remove the filters (I may as well just use an openbench then).
It is quite obvious that when a filter is used, airflow is going to be reduced but at the benefit of less dust.

I bet most case manufacturers would put the emphasis on the airflow of their case rather than on the dust proofing. I mean, when a reviewer does a review or an end user builds a new system with a case, the relative smaller airflow due to a filter will produce higher temp and this is noticeable in no time. An hour of stress test will immediately reveal this design. However, the benefit of less dust can only come to light in, perhaps, 3 months or more of daily usage. And practically no reviewer will wait this long to evaluate this part. I do not think I have ever read a review where 2 cases are compared in the area of dust proofing after, say, a period of 6 months. Take the M1 and DA2 for an example. Who is going to compare them in terms of dust proofing over an extended period?

So, maybe, Streacom makes a 'wrong' (for lack of a better word...maybe...'less then optimal' is a better adjective?) decision to use such a filter in the design of DA2?

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
While waiting the GPU block, I am again on AIR.
Has anyone reviews and test of the Cryorig H7 Ultra? Seems that has 1 120mm fan and has an higher TDP than the Plus with 2 fans. It will be great to see a comparison with the U9s!

BTW, here the actual build! The eLoop by noise blocker was a great discover! They are so silent for the air they move!

Reactions: roozter