Stalled Sparrow-MQ5 5.5L One-piece aluminum

COOJ

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 31, 2020
Also, if using the HDplex Dc-ATX + AC-DC combo from HDPlex, it might be possible to mount the DC-ATX vertical, on the motherboard side where the FlexPSU would be. And the 180 mm long AC-DC unit horizontally, below the GPU? Where the extension cable for the psu is now.

Any chance you could take measurements on the available space below the GPU side, Cooj? Because if that works, it would mean the GPU in the MQ5 could also extend the full 219 mm. Like in the MQ6.
Look at the picture, the bottom of the sparrow is designed with a beam, which will affect the height of the gpu like below.

COOJ

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 31, 2020
How were the 2.5" drives mounted in the pictures? Also, I noticed that the gap between the drives and the ram is very small considering the rams don't have heat spreaders. Does this mean you can only fit 2.5 drives using rams without heat spreaders?
RAM has a positive and negative relationship with 2.5" hard drives, they can clash when you use RAM with an overly tall heatsink, I recommend getting RAM that is not very tall or not using 2.5" hard drives.
The installation is like the picture below, I will provide 2.5" HDD cages that can mount 2 7mm thick HDDs.
When you RAM heatsink is too high, you may only be able to install 1 hard drive or can not install a hard drive.

RenG

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 17, 2016
When you RAM heatsink is too high, you may only be able to install 1 hard drive or can not install a hard drive.

Do you mean if heatsink is too wide?

How about for example Corsair Dominator Platinum?

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
Do you mean if heatsink is too wide?

How about for example Corsair Dominator Platinum?
I think he means height. From the picture, it appears that the SSD location will overhang at least one of the DDR4 slots.

Dominator Platinums are really tall and will likely collide with the SSDs if you have them installed.

Reactions: rfarmer

COOJ

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 31, 2020
I think he means height. From the picture, it appears that the SSD location will overhang at least one of the DDR4 slots.

Dominator Platinums are really tall and will likely collide with the SSDs if you have them installed.
Yes, that's what I meant.
I'm using translation software, so sometimes I don't express myself very well. 😢

RenG

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 17, 2016
Yes, that's what I meant.
I'm using translation software, so sometimes I don't express myself very well. 😢

Your translations are perfectly fine. Looking at the installation sample picptures, I just thought the SSDs will not go over the RAMs but rather sit besides it. In this case, RAM compatibility when using 2.5 drives should be limited to low profile dimms.

COOJ

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 31, 2020
Your translations are perfectly fine. Looking at the installation sample picptures, I just thought the SSDs will not go over the RAMs but rather sit besides it. In this case, RAM compatibility when using 2.5 drives should be limited to low profile dimms.
I roughly measured
When you use one 15mm thick drive or 2 7mm thick drives, you can install RAM with a height of 35mm or less.(RAM height without heat sink is 31.25mm).
When you use 1 7mm thick hard drive, you can install RAM with a height of 44mm or less.
When you do not install a 2.5-inch hard drive, you can install a height of 53mm or less RAM.

kaloyster

Cable Smoosher
May 19, 2021
Will I be able to use Alpenfohn Black Ridge cooler with this if I also put two SSDs?

Also, What type of rise cable work with this? Does the SGPC one work (195mm length)?

COOJ

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 31, 2020
Will I be able to use Alpenfohn Black Ridge cooler with this if I also put two SSDs?

Also, What type of rise cable work with this? Does the SGPC one work (195mm length)?
When you use Alpenfohn Black Ridge cooler, the hard drive will conflict with the cooler and you will not be able to use the drive.
SGPC's PCIE extension cable seems to work, but I can't guarantee it because I haven't tested it.

Reactions: scatterforce

kaloyster

Cable Smoosher
May 19, 2021
When you use Alpenfohn Black Ridge cooler, the hard drive will conflict with the cooler and you will not be able to use the drive.
SGPC's PCIE extension cable seems to work, but I can't guarantee it because I haven't tested it.
So if I use the Black Ridge, I will be restricted in mounting just a single SSD on the GPU side, yes?

Also a question re: MQ6 (with the same Black Ridge concern), it says the CPU cooler clearance is 72mm which fits the BR perfectly with a 25mm fan on top. Will it have any other problems?

kaloyster

Cable Smoosher
May 19, 2021
If I pre-order on Taobao, will it include PCIE Riser Cable? Because you didn't indicate it there on your Taobao COOJ Store.

Please clarify.

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
Also a question re: MQ6 (with the same Black Ridge concern), it says the CPU cooler clearance is 72mm which fits the BR perfectly with a 25mm fan on top. Will it have any other problems?
A fan right next to the side panel will be louder with turbulence. I have a Black Ridge planned for my MQ6, but will use a slim 120 on top. I might even use a fan duct to better direct air.

kaloyster

Cable Smoosher
May 19, 2021
A fan right next to the side panel will be louder with turbulence. I have a Black Ridge planned for my MQ6, but will use a slim 120 on top. I might even use a fan duct to better direct air.
Will you use a 15mm 120 on top and underneath as well? Or just 90mm underneath?

Cos i'm planning on using both a12x15 chromax (scrapped 25mm idea because of turbulence and a little bit of breathing room) I just don't know if the clips work when it's both size end to end.

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
Will you use a 15mm 120 on top and underneath as well? Or just 90mm underneath?

Cos i'm planning on using both a12x15 chromax (scrapped 25mm idea because of turbulence and a little bit of breathing room) I just don't know if the clips work when it's both size end to end.
I will use a 90mm underneath. I have VLP ram, but could never get them stable at 3600. My plan is to also upgrade my RAM when I swap cases to some faster dimms.

COOJ

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 31, 2020
So if I use the Black Ridge, I will be restricted in mounting just a single SSD on the GPU side, yes?

When you use the Black Ridge, you cannot install any 2.5" hard drives.
Likewise, on the MQ6, when you use the Black Ridge, you cannot install any 2.5" hard drives.

COOJ

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 31, 2020
If I pre-order on Taobao, will it include PCIE Riser Cable? Because you didn't indicate it there on your Taobao COOJ Store.

Please clarify.
Taobao booking is the price is not including the PCIE extension cable.

COOJ

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 31, 2020
This is a good choice.

kaloyster

Cable Smoosher
May 19, 2021
I will use a 90mm underneath. I have VLP ram, but could never get them stable at 3600. My plan is to also upgrade my RAM when I swap cases to some faster dimms.
I also have VLP ram and like you I can only get them stable at 3000Mhz. I've been planning on swappig my 90 for a 120 underneath and with the MQ6 I think i can do dual 120s here's to hoping it works.

Reactions: Sziklapeti

kaloyster

Cable Smoosher
May 19, 2021
When you use the Black Ridge, you cannot install any 2.5" hard drives.
Likewise, on the MQ6, when you use the Black Ridge, you cannot install any 2.5" hard drives.
Ouch.

Is it even somehow possible to just place a single 2.5 SSD below the motherboard space down there? I can't afford to lose an additional separated drive.