Stalled Sparrow-MQ5 5.5L One-piece aluminum

Sziklapeti

Trash Compacter
Jun 4, 2020
Well I can add another one in the mix. something like the MQ6 but a little bit of extra width for the GPU side so you could deshroud something like the evga 3060ti and put 2 92 mm standard (25mil) thick fans on them or asus has some "itx" gpu's that are 2.5 slot thick. Both would require about 10 mm 12 mm if you want to avoid turbulent noises. And about the power button I could imagine it with the power button in the back beside the mobo i/o where there is enough space for it so it's completelly clean and 100% undisturbed in the front. and below it there could be added 2 gen 3 and an usb c as well beside the mobo. As in the back you have cables either way so this wouldn't affect the cleanliness just add more ports.
Best paint-job ever. :D Yeah the power button and usb ports are a little big. 🤔
extra ports in mostly unused place above the i/o shield and moar gpu clearance at the cost of +1 to 1.2cm thickness.

Reactions: scatterforce

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
I would love to see something like the MQ6 with SFX psu support with smaller CPU cooler height
My current case is a Prime, almost exactly what you are describing. I'm moving away from it for more CPU cooling and better case airflow. The lack of exhaust in that case has made thermals more challenging than I had expected. I moded the SFX PSU with a noctua fan and am using that as my main exhaust. They have since updated the case to make it compatible with a FLEX PSU to allow for larger GPUs.

I feel the MQ6 is a better design overall. The use of the FLEX PSU is a great compromise to allow for more compatibility with higher end CPUs and 200mm GPUs.

Reactions: Ca11idus

COOJ

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 31, 2020
Well I can add another one in the mix. something like the MQ6 but a little bit of extra width for the GPU side so you could deshroud something like the evga 3060ti and put 2 92 mm standard (25mil) thick fans on them or asus has some "itx" gpu's that are 2.5 slot thick. Both would require about 10 mm 12 mm if you want to avoid turbulent noises. And about the power button I could imagine it with the power button in the back beside the mobo i/o where there is enough space for it so it's completelly clean and 100% undisturbed in the front. and below it there could be added 2 gen 3 and an usb c as well beside the mobo. As in the back you have cables either way so this wouldn't affect the cleanliness just add more ports.
Best paint-job ever. :D Yeah the power button and usb ports are a little big. 🤔
extra ports in mostly unused place above the i/o shield and moar gpu clearance at the cost of +1 to 1.2cm thickness.

The solution you provide is feasible, but I think I will keep the original design, I hope MQ5/MQ6 is simple and easy to use, adding usb in the back does not make it better, but more trouble.

Sziklapeti

Trash Compacter
Jun 4, 2020
Two new accessories have been added
1. A black metal heat shield for insulating the GPU and PSU from hot air transfer.
2. A bracket for mounting two 7mm thick hard drives.
Does that heat shield and with the cables inserted in the top isn't that too much of an airflow resistance for the psu? Looks sick though, I have already ordered an MQ5 black and it will help hide the silver psu. :D
About the back usb ports and enough space for a full width fan replacement for the gpu that was just my imagination running wild, naturally they won't fit in either MQ5 or MQ6 image you have set just threw another idea in the mix. :)

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
Two new accessories have been added
1. A black metal heat shield for insulating the GPU and PSU from hot air transfer.
2. A bracket for mounting two 7mm thick hard drives.
I still think reversing the direction of the fan is a better solution. ie, pulling air from below the case and exhausting into the case, to be pulled out by the 120 exhaust fan at the top.

If you make that mod to the PSUs sold with this case, I would consider buying one.

COOJ

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 31, 2020
Does that heat shield and with the cables inserted in the top isn't that too much of an airflow resistance for the psu? Looks sick though, I have already ordered an MQ5 black and it will help hide the silver psu. :D
About the back usb ports and enough space for a full width fan replacement for the gpu that was just my imagination running wild, naturally they won't fit in either MQ5 or MQ6 image you have set just threw another idea in the mix. :)
There is a gap between the heat shield and PSU, otherwise it loses the effect of heat insulation.
FLEX has many models that do not have side air vents, such as Delta, so the heat shield does not have a major impact on airflow, and it does not affect your wiring.

Reactions: Sziklapeti

COOJ

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 31, 2020
I still think reversing the direction of the fan is a better solution. ie, pulling air from below the case and exhausting into the case, to be pulled out by the 120 exhaust fan at the top.

If you make that mod to the PSUs sold with this case, I would consider buying one.
I think I'll keep the default fan and just mod the PSU.
If you want to change the wind direction, just open the housing and flip the fan.

xredlinexx1

Average Stuffer
Mar 18, 2019
How does the top fan mount to the case? The renderings and video seem to show it floating.
Disregard. I took a closer look at the pictures and think I see threaded holes on the top. Do we need special length screws to mount? The screw heads won't be showing on the top of the case, right?

I've already preordered MQ6. Looking forward to it. Just need to find a 3060ti :/. Too bad I need to downsize from my 3070 :'(

ondert

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 16, 2017
I've just seen this case on Reddit and loved it. Wonder how I didn't see it here before..
Got a question: do you mod flex atx psus if I place order from your website?

Sziklapeti

Trash Compacter
Jun 4, 2020
I've just seen this case on Reddit and loved it. Wonder how I didn't see it here before..
Got a question: do you mod flex atx psus if I place order from your website?

The 7660b module will look like this after modification, and comes with a black matching cable.
The original length of the 7660b is 150mm (without the cable), after modification the length is around 170mm.
I will buy the PSU from Enhance China distributor and then give it to a professional for modularization.

COOJ

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 31, 2020
Disregard. I took a closer look at the pictures and think I see threaded holes on the top. Do we need special length screws to mount? The screw heads won't be showing on the top of the case, right?

I've already preordered MQ6. Looking forward to it. Just need to find a 3060ti :/. Too bad I need to downsize from my 3070 :'(
You're right, there will be matching screws.
The screws are not visible from the top.