Stalled Sparrow-MQ5 5.5L One-piece aluminum

COOJ

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 31, 2020
Any idea how the grey will look like irl? Comparable to space grey from Apple?
This is a gray accessory of Z13, you can refer to it, MQ5 gray will be the same as Z13.

KingJ

Cable Smoosher
Sep 29, 2019
Really love the design! Looks very sleek and clean aesthetically! Looking forwards to the thread for the larger model too 👌

Reactions: COOJ

COOJ

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 31, 2020
Really love the design! Looks very sleek and clean aesthetically! Looking forwards to the thread for the larger model too 👌
Thanks for the compliment, I'm about to post a thread on MQ6.

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
What a case, a real work of art!

Everything looks perfect, except maybe for the thermals.
10 minutes of stress testing is not that much and the temps already went high, especially for the CPU.

In fact, the top fan vents outward. I installed it backwards 🤣
Was it because of that?

And thanks to the relevant remarks of @tinyitx and your inventiveness, cooling should now be improved with the PSU fan as intake and the heat shield addition.

Providing a temperature test is already nice, but maybe you could update it to demonstrate how the three changes above have impacted it?

Even if it's probably unneeded and too late depending on how far you are already in the production process, I could not resist to try modding the case so that a second fan can be added on top. XD
From what I see there is enough room for two top fans, some row of holes could even be added without compromising the structure of the case I guess.
The only issue I see is one of the motherboard support being in the way.
And to have the two fans draw more air from the case itself and not from outside, I would remove some holes on the top of the side panels.

Reactions: Mojo_Jojo

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
I'll add to this thread as well.... I think the rear PCIE opening should be one larger opening instead of 2 smaller slits. My 2070 ITX exhausts a lot of hot air out the back, with the fins oriented front to back. Having a metal piece dividing the opening will hurt airflow.

I want the MQ6, but I don't want my thermals to regress. My current case has just 1 large opening; the center pillar will block 1/2 of the vent area.

edit: Another way to improve thermals is to increase exhaust at the top. There is still a lot of metal with the holes placed where they are. Perhaps just increasing the diameter of the holes already there, instead of adding more holes, would keep costs the same.

@ COOJ I still love the design, I'm just giving some feedback.

Last edited:

COOJ

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 31, 2020
What a case, a real work of art!

Everything looks perfect, except maybe for the thermals.
10 minutes of stress testing is not that much and the temps already went high, especially for the CPU.

Was it because of that?

And thanks to the relevant remarks of @tinyitx and your inventiveness, cooling should now be improved with the PSU fan as intake and the heat shield addition.

Providing a temperature test is already nice, but maybe you could update it to demonstrate how the three changes above have impacted it?

Even if it's probably unneeded and too late depending on how far you are already in the production process, I could not resist to try modding the case so that a second fan can be added on top. XD
From what I see there is enough room for two top fans, some row of holes could even be added without compromising the structure of the case I guess.
The only issue I see is one of the motherboard support being in the way.
And to have the two fans draw more air from the case itself and not from outside, I would remove some holes on the top of the side panels.
Thank you so much for your love of it!
I'll answer these questions separately.
1. about the high CPU temperature, actually MQ5 is designed for mid-range CPUs (such as 3700x 5600x), because I only have 3900x now so I can only use this to test.MQ6 is designed for more advanced CPUs and graphics cards.
2. Because I took the MQ5 prototype back to the factory to try a new surface treatment, so I can not redo the temperature test for a short time, I am very sorry.
3. The top is unable to install two fans, you see the picture demonstration will understand.

There are two factors that cause the top can not install two fans, the first factor is to fix the motherboard pillar can not be moved, the second factor is that some conditions will affect the power supply installation.
4. Because of the processing reasons, the distance between the holes of the side panel's cooling holes has increased and the number has become smaller, in fact, the top fan does not draw too much air from outside the side panel.

COOJ

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 31, 2020
I'll add to this thread as well.... I think the rear PCIE opening should be one larger opening instead of 2 smaller slits. My 2070 ITX exhausts a lot of hot air out the back, with the fins oriented front to back. Having a metal piece dividing the opening will hurt airflow.

I want the MQ6, but I don't want my thermals to regress. My current case has just 1 large opening; the center pillar will block 1/2 of the vent area.

edit: Another way to improve thermals is to increase exhaust at the top. There is still a lot of metal with the holes placed where they are. Perhaps just increasing the diameter of the holes already there, instead of adding more holes, would keep costs the same.

@ COOJ I still love the design, I'm just giving some feedback.
Thank you very much for your advice, this issue after my careful consideration, I still decided to keep the current design without adjustment.
The first reason is that there are now many people have booked these two cases, I can no longer arbitrarily modify the design.
The second reason is that some people only need a slot for the PCIE, such as someone in the PCIE position to insert a network card to use the MQ5 as a router, when the PCIE if a large opening will be very ugly.
The third reason is my personal aesthetic preference for the current design.

Regarding the top heat sink, the current density and diameter is a balance between design aesthetics and thermal performance, in fact my design is not for extreme performance considerations, I need to make it look visually harmonious.
Isn't that why you like it? 😋

Reactions: scatterforce

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
Thank you very much for your advice, this issue after my careful consideration, I still decided to keep the current design without adjustment.
The first reason is that there are now many people have booked these two cases, I can no longer arbitrarily modify the design.
The second reason is that some people only need a slot for the PCIE, such as someone in the PCIE position to insert a network card to use the MQ5 as a router, when the PCIE if a large opening will be very ugly.
The third reason is my personal aesthetic preference for the current design.

Regarding the top heat sink, the current density and diameter is a balance between design aesthetics and thermal performance, in fact my design is not for extreme performance considerations, I need to make it look visually harmonious.
Isn't that why you like it? 😋
Thank you for your detailed response and considerations. With everything that you've said, I can see the need to keep the current design.

And yes, I do love the looks of this case. 😁

You mentioned the ability to pair this with a riser and PSU. Do you know what models? Will it be the modified Enhance 7660B in your original post?

COOJ

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 31, 2020
Thank you for your detailed response and considerations. With everything that you've said, I can see the need to keep the current design.

And yes, I do love the looks of this case. 😁

You mentioned the ability to pair this with a riser and PSU. Do you know what models? Will it be the modified Enhance 7660B in your original post?
I have prepared two options with PSU.All are modified versions of the module.
Enhance ENP 7660B 600w Platinum
Enhance ENP 7145B 450w Gold
These two PSUs are very good.
(Actually these two PSUs are not black, I painted them myself)

Last edited:

Mojo_Jojo

Cable Smoosher
Apr 9, 2021
Are orders through your website going to make it for the first batch? Or will you start production as soon as you hit 50 units (through taobao)?

COOJ

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 31, 2020
Are orders through your website going to make it for the first batch? Or will you start production as soon as you hit 50 units (through taobao)?
Production will begin when the total number of units reaches 50, regardless of whether you order through my website or through a reseller on Taobao.
In fact, there are already 36 units.

Reactions: rfarmer

RenG

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 17, 2016
Have you figured out how to mount HDPlex DC-ATX + DC-AC combo yet? That's the only thing holding me back (though just a little bit)

COOJ

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 31, 2020
Have you figured out how to mount HDPlex DC-ATX + DC-AC combo yet? That's the only thing holding me back (though just a little bit)
The HDPlex DC-ATX + DC-AC combination is not standardized, so this requires you to figure out how to mount it yourself, usually with double-sided tape in the original FLEX location.
If you don't install the FLEX, then the size of the space left for the PSU is approximately
194mm high * 82mm wide * 42mm thick.

Reactions: BaK

Bakaban

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 13, 2020
Also, if using the HDplex Dc-ATX + AC-DC combo from HDPlex, it might be possible to mount the DC-ATX vertical, on the motherboard side where the FlexPSU would be. And the 180 mm long AC-DC unit horizontally, below the GPU? Where the extension cable for the psu is now.

Any chance you could take measurements on the available space below the GPU side, Cooj? Because if that works, it would mean the GPU in the MQ5 could also extend the full 219 mm. Like in the MQ6.

Last edited:
Reactions: etal

xredlinexx1

Average Stuffer
Mar 18, 2019
Also, if using the HDplex Dc-ATX + AC-DC combo from HDPlex, it might be possible to mount the DC-ATX vertical, on the motherboard side where the FlexPSU would be. And the 180 mm long AC-DC unit horizontally, below the GPU? Where the extension cable for the psu is now.

Any chance you could take measurements on the available space below the GPU side, Cooj? Because if that works, it would mean the GPU in the MQ5 could also extend the full 219 mm. Like in the MQ6.
Looks like it should fit perfectly, as long as there is a 55mm gap between the bottom of the case and the gpu. I wouldn't count on that gap being 55mm though. Measuring my 3070 FE in my T1, i'm getting slightly below that 55mm. Likely it will be highly dependent on the gpu size.

EDIT: I just noticed that the T1's motherboard sits very low in the case. Whereas from the picture of the sparrow, the motherboard and gpu sit quite a bit higher. I think there should be plenty of space for most cards, however we will have to wait for COOJ to provide exact measurements

Last edited:
Reactions: scatterforce

RenG

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 17, 2016
How were the 2.5" drives mounted in the pictures? Also, I noticed that the gap between the drives and the ram is very small considering the rams don't have heat spreaders. Does this mean you can only fit 2.5 drives using rams without heat spreaders?

COOJ

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 31, 2020

I've been busy with the Z13 shoot lately, so I'm sorry I'm a little late in replying to you.
I used the standard GPU model and with this model the dimensions of the space under the GPU is 39.7mm high * 42mm wide, if you don't use FLEX then the maximum length is 219mm.