Stalled Sparrow-MQ5 5.5L One-piece aluminum

COOJ

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 31, 2020
Looking forward to hear more about the MQ6 (temps, specs, ETA)
MQ6 did not do samples this time, but I just updated the temperature test of MQ5.
MQ6 CPU and graphics card cooling performance will be much better than MQ5, I will take the time to write a separate post on MQ6.

Sacha

Caliper Novice
Apr 12, 2021
Thanks for the temperature information. Did you have a top fan installed for the tests? as exhaust?

Vir

Average Stuffer
Apr 26, 2020
What would be the max graphics card height? If this could fit a 2.5 slot 2x Ventus 3070 it'd be the smallest case that fits a 3070 on the market.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Instead of the stress test temperatures I would like to see how it performs during normal gaming. Maybe play Horizon Zero Dawn or something like that for half an hour and check the average CPU and GPU temperatures?

COOJ

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 31, 2020
Thanks for the temperature information. Did you have a top fan installed for the tests? as exhaust?
Of course, I installed the top fan and set the speed at about 1200RPM.(There is an error in the RPM displayed on ADIA64, I don't know if it's a software problem)

COOJ

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 31, 2020
What would be the max graphics card height? If this could fit a 2.5 slot 2x Ventus 3070 it'd be the smallest case that fits a 3070 on the market.
MQ5's graphics card height limit is 125mm, only two slot thickness can be installed.
The highest performance graphics card I know of that can be installed in the MQ5 is the GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Mini-ITX from MSI.(Currently do not know where to buy)
MQ6 can install EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti XC GAMING and ASUS RTX 3060 Ti MINI.

COOJ

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 31, 2020
Instead of the stress test temperatures I would like to see how it performs during normal gaming. Maybe play Horizon Zero Dawn or something like that for half an hour and check the average CPU and GPU temperatures?
I will take the time to download a game to do some testing, now I do not have the game on my pc😢

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
In the CPU thermal test, 93C (10 minutes only) is not really great.
I wonder, if the cooler could be rotated 90 degrees so that the fin orientation goes up-and-down. Currently, the ram modules basically block off air movement in 1 direction.

Also, hot air exhausted out of the GPU tail might be sucked into the intake openings of the Enhance Flex PSU. Do I make this observation right?

BTW, so you are Watermelon Taro?

COOJ

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 31, 2020
I wonder, if the cooler could be rotated 90 degrees so that the fin orientation goes up-and-down. Currently, the ram modules basically block off air movement in 1 direction.

Also, hot air exhausted out of the GPU tail might be sucked into the intake openings of the Enhance Flex PSU. Do I make this observation right?

Regarding the cpu cooler rotating 90 degrees, I wanted to do that, but the AM4 has vertical rectangular heat sink fixing holes, so it can't be adjusted. If you use an INTEL CPU, you can adjust the orientation of the cpu cooler scales and you will get better results in the temperature test.
The hot air coming out of the rear of the GPU does get sucked into the PSU, so I changed the direction of the PSU fan. Let the PSU draw air from the bottom.
Or just dissipate the scales is the top and bottom direction of the GPU.

How do you know I'm a watermelon?

Last edited:
Reactions: tinyitx

Vir

Average Stuffer
Apr 26, 2020
MQ5's graphics card height limit is 125mm, only two slot thickness can be installed.
The highest performance graphics card I know of that can be installed in the MQ5 is the GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Mini-ITX from MSI.(Currently do not know where to buy)
MQ6 can install EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti XC GAMING and ASUS RTX 3060 Ti MINI.
The width limit is 125mm. My card has two slot height but the cooler extends abit above them. The case looked like it could accommodate 52mm.

lawney

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 28, 2018
Love it. Reminds me of the Circle Pro. That was a tough case to outfit for similar reasons: ITX cards are even harder to come by than any new graphics cards.

COOJ

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 31, 2020
The width limit is 125mm. My card has two slot height but the cooler extends abit above them. The case looked like it could accommodate 52mm.
It is not possible to install a 52mm height graphics card, in fact the height limit is 42mm.

Reactions: Vir

COOJ

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 31, 2020
Love it. Reminds me of the Circle Pro. That was a tough case to outfit for similar reasons: ITX cards are even harder to come by than any new graphics cards.
Yes, the Circle Pro has rounded corners, and I like them just as much!
It's true that graphics cards are now so hard to get, hundreds of thousands of people are snapping up the few that are available in China every day, so hopefully these days will soon be over.

COOJ

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 31, 2020

Hey bro, last time you raised the issue after I thought for a long time, now there is a solution.
I will add a heat shield to block the hot air blowing from the GPU to the PSU, and leave some space for the PSU to have enough air intake, which will greatly improve the PSU by the GPU torture situation. And the heat shield is movable, there is some room to move.
Thank you for your question!

Here is the approximate effect of the heat shield, I am modifying it.
I will add it to the MQ5/MQ6 design when I finish the modification.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Hey bro, last time you raised the issue after I thought for a long time, now there is a solution.
I will add a heat shield to block the hot air blowing from the GPU to the PSU, and leave some space for the PSU to have enough air intake, which will greatly improve the PSU by the GPU torture situation. And the heat shield is movable, there is some room to move.
Thank you for your question!

Here is the approximate effect of the heat shield, I am modifying it.
I will add it to the MQ5/MQ6 design when I finish the modification.
A few comments:-

a. I think when you change the PSU fan from exhaust to intake, then the PSU should be much less affected by sucking exhaust from the GPU. In either case, that heat shield/partition should be effective to separate the PSU from the GPU.

b. From all the pics and renderings, the top case fan (9015) is depicted as intake. Any special reason? I mean, if it is set up as exhaust, it should be effective to pull up the exhausted air (dumped inside the case by the PSU and GPU) and directed them out of the case top.
That is, the overall case ventilation would be:- fresh ambient air being pulled in from both side panels + bottom PSU fan while all hot air will be exhausted out of the case top.

Reactions: reallamer

COOJ

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 31, 2020
A few comments:-

a. I think when you change the PSU fan from exhaust to intake, then the PSU should be much less affected by sucking exhaust from the GPU. In either case, that heat shield/partition should be effective to separate the PSU from the GPU.

b. From all the pics and renderings, the top case fan (9015) is depicted as intake. Any special reason? I mean, if it is set up as exhaust, it should be effective to pull up the exhausted air (dumped inside the case by the PSU and GPU) and directed them out of the case top.
That is, the overall case ventilation would be:- fresh ambient air being pulled in from both side panels + bottom PSU fan while all hot air will be exhausted out of the case top.
In fact, the top fan vents outward. I installed it backwards 🤣

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
'Molding' often refers to the process of injection molding/casting (usually, of plastic).
'Machining' (or more precisely, CNC machining) is different and is how your Sparrow MQ-5 is manufactured.

So, I suggest, you revise the title accordingly, especially one big selling point is that the case shell is an one-piece aluminum.

COOJ

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 31, 2020
'Molding' often refers to the process of injection molding/casting (usually, of plastic).
'Machining' (or more precisely, CNC machining) is different and is how your Sparrow MQ-5 is manufactured.

So, I suggest, you revise the title accordingly, especially one big selling point is that the case shell is an one-piece aluminum.
You are very right, I will modify