Discussion Soldering SATA joint.

Hassan1

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Oct 22, 2021
Hello,
I need support to mark cables in a joint on sata male to female cable because I want to Solder a SATA male to female joint.
This joint has burnt second time and I want to cut the plastic and solder cables directly together, so there is no more similar issue again. This power cable is powering Pcie 6+2 pin GPU, RX-580, which is used for mining and gamin both.

Hassan1

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Oct 22, 2021

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I am considering soldering joint between below 2 cables on the sata sides. Please confirm, which cable is supposed to to soldered to which cable as it is difficult to sort as there are 4 cables on female side and 6 cables on male side. Please check below 2 links of the cables, I want to solder.

https://www.u-buy.com.tw/en/product...-female-video-card-power-adapter-cable-20cm-8

https://www.noon.com/en-sa/power-cable/N21757532A/p?utm_source=C1000094L&utm_medium=referral

Just a piece of advice: the cables you have linked there will not be able to handle the wattage of your GPU (fire hazard). As you already said it "burned the second time". Soldering those two adapters together won't fix that.

Is there no other way to connect that properly? Maybe share a picture of your setup?

Hassan1

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Oct 22, 2021
Just a piece of advice: the cables you have linked there will not be able to handle the wattage of your GPU (fire hazard). As you already said it "burned the second time". Soldering those two adapters together won't fix that.

Is there no other way to connect that properly? Maybe share a picture of your setup?
This computer is a mess, I can't share pictures or I will be ashamed of my recklessness.
By the way, My GPU is taking power of upto 95W maximum only and I have Server PSU working, which doesn't have much outputs, I cannot work around.
I am sure that this "burning second time" is due to the reason that I don't have original good quality cables and this is the reason that connectors get burnt only, which I think, I can overcome by soldering and avoiding this Chinese manufactured connector.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
This computer is a mess, I can't share pictures or I will be ashamed of my recklessness.
By the way, My GPU is taking power of upto 95W maximum only and I have Server PSU working, which doesn't have much outputs, I cannot work around.
I am sure that this "burning second time" is due to the reason that I don't have original good quality cables and this is the reason that connectors get burnt only, which I think, I can overcome by soldering and avoiding this Chinese manufactured connector.

Well, a picture would definitely help. Does your PSU have some spare yellow (+12VDC) and black (GND) cables to which you could solder the PCIE power connector directly? And if so, how thick (AWG?) are those?

Hassan1

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Oct 22, 2021
Well, a picture would definitely help. Does your PSU have some spare yellow (+12VDC) and black (GND) cables to which you could solder the PCIE power connector directly? And if so, how thick (AWG?) are those?
I have a spare 4 pin square connector available. It has 2 yellow and 2 black cables.

Can you advise something about it ?

Hassan1

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Oct 22, 2021
https://mega.nz/file/L1snCYqD#ULNUQLR0be6d3MOE9wBWGI9B1bwj6rTrVtqg6o9xpxA

Please also check attached a picture of my desktop.

It is a modded gaming system, which was actually a old Server with Octacore Xeon processor. Mobo is Super micro XSRi110 and GPU being used is RX570, 8GB. PSU is server level: some 80+gold. I don't exactly remember the model.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I have a spare 4 pin square connector available. It has 2 yellow and 2 black cables.

Can you advise something about it ?

you could try the following if you are aware of the risk that it could burn again or may cause some other damages - I take no responsibility if something goes wrong...
  • Cut the 4P connector off
  • Solder the two yellow cables from the 4P to the three yellow cables from the PCIe/GPU power connector
  • Wrap it with electrical tape
  • Solder the two black cables from the 4P to the three black cables from the PCIe/GPU power connector
  • Run a game or something and check with your hand if the cables and your solder spots become warm/hot. If they do, your GPU draws too much power and the cables can't stand the current.
Hope this helps - good luck.

Reactions: Phuncz

Hassan1

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Oct 22, 2021
you could try the following if you are aware of the risk that it could burn again or may cause some other damages - I take no responsibility if something goes wrong...
  • Solder the two yellow cables from the 4P to the three yellow cables from the PCIe/GPU power connector
  • Solder the two black cables from the 4P to the three black cables from the PCIe/GPU power connector
  • Run a game or something and check with your hand if the cables and your solder spots become warm/hot. If they do, your GPU draws too much power and the cables can't stand the current.
I touched the cables by hand and found that cables are getting hot by the time.
I put this solution as temporary. After the today's match. I will rewire these to the 4P, which you have suggested.
Thanks for all the support.

Hassan1

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Oct 22, 2021
I followed the guidelines provided by you and soldered with 4P connector. It is working fine and cables are not getting much hot like before.

Reactions: REVOCCASES