So I found this under my heatsink fan....

T_Tank

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Mar 16, 2017
So I got a smidgen impatient when a crack on my acrylic case expanded an got a enermax steelwing case.
But I didn't like that my cpu fan was not pointing up inside the case!

So... when I carefully unbolted the fan an lifted it off the heatsink I noticed something.. odd about the copper center of the heatsink on the factory amd heatsink.

Is that... a heatpipe like structure there not just a solid copper core o_O?!?!

Reactions: Soul_Est

T_Tank

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Mar 16, 2017
Yeah I'm used to seeing heatpipes but really a curious thing to see all to just turn a fan 90 degrees.

Mar 6, 2017
That doesn't look like it'd make good thermal contact, is it possible something came off and got stuck on the CPU? Also, that sticker is in a strange place...

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
That doesn't look like it'd make good thermal contact, is it possible something came off and got stuck on the CPU? Also, that sticker is in a strange place...
I was a little confused too at first, but that's actually the top of the heatsink (under the fan as OP states) we're looking at. This style of heatsink with a heatpipe instead of a copper core has actually been around for a number of years, and is also in use in intel stock coolers. They're called heat columns fyi.

Last edited: