ASUS Strix Z390-I heatsink compatibility?

lunchtime

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Nov 15, 2018
I'm awaiting my Louqe Ghost which should be arriving soon, and I have all the other parts for my upcoming build. However, I was disappointed to find that the Noctua NH-L12 will not work with the Z390-I (when looking at the motherboard compatibility list on noctuas website).. It looks like it could potentially work when I put the heatsink over the socket, but the bottom 92mm fan will be pressing on the huge IO panel area.

Anyways, the next best air cooler (that the Louqe guys mentioned in their testing) is the Scythe Shuriken Rev B.. Will this work with the ASUS Z390-I? There was no compatibility list on their site, and I'm not seeing any completed builds on pcpartpicker which might help me figure this out.

Ultimately, I'd like to stick with this board, and I want to avoid AIO (especially considering I only got the medium tophat, not even sure if AIO is an option unless I get the Large tophat). If it means having to use a really poor performing heatsink/fan, I'll reconsider and go with the ASROCK, but if I can swing a decent HSF on the ASUS for stock clocks, I'd be happy.

Thanks!

lunchtime

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Nov 15, 2018
Is it really that simple? Jeez, I should have RTFM XD I just kind of conceded defeat when I saw that the cooler was not physically compatible with the motherboard on Noctua's site.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Please be reminded that the rear huge IO cover is not just for its look but it also has a thermal function as a heatsink to cool the VRM.
I do not know how hot the VRM could be and the effectiveness of the aluminum heatsink. But it is there by Asus design.
So, weigh the pros and cons before its removal.

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Feb 27, 2018
Please be reminded that the rear huge IO cover is not just for its look but it also has a thermal function as a heatsink to cool the VRM.
I do not know how hot the VRM could be and the effectiveness of the aluminum heatsink. But it is there by Asus design.
So, weigh the pros and cons before its removal.
Asus calls it "ROG armour" so I'd be rather sueprised if it's actually all heatsink. Maybe @lunchtime can do some citizen science and report back? I'm quite curious to see how much of the block is actually important

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Asus calls it "ROG armour" so I'd be rather sueprised if it's actually all heatsink. Maybe @lunchtime can do some citizen science and report back? I'm quite curious to see how much of the block is actually important
The entire rear thing is an integrated IO shield and VRM heatsink.
It is composed of 4 parts. The rear panel is just the typical cutout shield (labelled 4 in the pic).

And, there are 3 'internal' parts. The middle aluminum one (labelled 3 in my pic below) is the part responsible for cooling the part of the VRM which faces the rear. It is one big solid piece, with thermal pad over the chokes and mosfets.

The other 2 pieces (labelled 1 and 2) are physically separated pieces, thus unable to have heat transfer with the main middle one and are probably used to hold the middle one in place.

Reactions: NinoPecorino

Acty_ly

Chassis Packer
Nov 14, 2018
Z390 motherboard, due to support eight core i9-9900K, the motherboard's heat dissipation, power supply has become a key focus to strengthen the object, the heat sink has become very large, plus a variety of RGB lighting effects, looks quite cool

deadline

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 9, 2018
The NH-L12 is a beast. Why not try an A9 65? Just because Louqe had a bad day with turbulence on a prototype case, doesn't mean it will be like that for everyone?

lunchtime

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Nov 15, 2018
The NH-L12 is a beast. Why not try an A9 65? Just because Louqe had a bad day with turbulence on a prototype case, doesn't mean it will be like that for everyone?

Well, I'll be running a 9900K in there. While I'm obviously not planning on doing any overclocking, I'd like stock (and whatever boost I can get) operation to run as smoothly as possible with as little noise as possible (without AIO)

lunchtime

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Nov 15, 2018

I'd be happy to, but I'll be out of town until Monday afternoon. Will try tinkering when I return :)

Reactions: Damascus

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017
many people on here have removed VRM heatsinks and just let airflow do the job. Most VRM heatsinks are garbage anyway since they don't even have fin stacks. If they're overheating even with direct airflow, you can always add some of these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079FQ22LK/?tag=theminutiae-20

I wouldn't be surprised though if you got lower VRM temps with no heatsink than with though just from the extra airflow of the better cooler.

lunchtime

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Nov 15, 2018
many people on here have removed VRM heatsinks and just let airflow do the job. Most VRM heatsinks are garbage anyway since they don't even have fin stacks. If they're overheating even with direct airflow, you can always add some of these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079FQ22LK/?tag=theminutiae-20

I wouldn't be surprised though if you got lower VRM temps with no heatsink than with though just from the extra airflow of the better cooler.

Good to know! I was actually watching a youtube video the other night of a review of the ASUS Z390-I. The guy reviewing it said that area of the board barely showed any temperature increase, so it may not be a huge deal to remove the 'ROG armor' / heatsinks. Will try messing with it once I get back and the Louqe is in.

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Feb 27, 2018
The entire rear thing is an integrated IO shield and VRM heatsink.
It is composed of 4 parts. The rear panel is just the typical cutout shield (labelled 4 in the pic).

And, there are 3 'internal' parts. The middle aluminum one (labelled 3 in my pic below) is the part responsible for cooling the part of the VRM which faces the rear. It is one big solid piece, with thermal pad over the chokes and mosfets.

The other 2 pieces (labelled 1 and 2) are physically separated pieces, thus unable to have heat transfer with the main middle one and are probably used to hold the middle one in place.

Wow, that's fun... I hate all of these vrm sinks that think mass is all you need

kittysox

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 8, 2017
Trying to say the heatsinks bolster the vrm on the board with the weakest vrm of all the Z390 boards is kinda a joke. That said I have this board and I hate it with all my heart. I’d be looking at the gigabyte or asrock boards as an alternative.

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Feb 27, 2018
Trying to say the heatsinks bolster the vrm on the board with the weakest vrm of all the Z390 boards is kinda a joke. That said I have this board and I hate it with all my heart. I’d be looking at the gigabyte or asrock boards as an alternative.
I'll trade ya a z370i strix if you want. :p Seriously though, the top end asrock z390 itx looks fantastic.