advice wanted: rugged m-itx tablet build, custom heatsinks?

jamesholden

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Jul 15, 2023
I'm wanting to build myself another m-itx tablet (like this one build thread). But: I want it faster - a 13700k, and most importantly, rugged enough to survive in checked baggage (a hard peli case with 2 inch of foam round it on all sides)

So I'm looking for advice/experience on suitable heatsinks. I'm worried that bumps in transit will make the weight of the heatsink crack the motherboard PCB.

Has anyone tried mounting a heatsink with longer screws that also fix to the same metal sheet the motherboard is screwed into?

And in my current build the easiest design (structurally, but also in terms of keeping heat away from the LCD touchscreen) put the motherboard upside down, which means heatsink heatpipes don't work effectively.

So the moment I'm looking at a dynatron q1, which has no heatpipes, with air forced over it from left to right by a row of 40 or 50mm fans, like a rack server would, some kind of 3d printed air directing shroud directing the flow. Planning on using a hdplex 500w gan PSU here.

But if someone has a better idea or the perfect AliExpress hookup...

Oh no GPU in this build, it's for music software which is a heavy CPU/memory load but gets by fine with igpu.

Thanks in advance!