Log SMALLEST ATX CASE : CERBERUS-X (Complete build log)

harryoui

Efficiency Noob
Apr 1, 2019
Is it possible to fit a 240mm radiator on the side hinge bracket?
If a rear mounted SFX PSU interferes with it, is it possible to flip the sfx bracket so the PSU mounts closer to the back of the case?

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Is it possible to fit a 240mm radiator on the side hinge bracket?
If a rear mounted SFX PSU interferes with it, is it possible to flip the sfx bracket so the PSU mounts closer to the back of the case?

Unfortunately no due to the PSU mounting positions. If you mod the PSU mount you can though, but requires a Mini-ITX motherboard.

Reactions: harryoui

harryoui

Efficiency Noob
Apr 1, 2019
Unfortunately no due to the PSU mounting positions. If you mod the PSU mount you can though, but requires a Mini-ITX motherboard.
Is it possible to flip the rear mounting for the SFX PSU so that it sits closer to the motherboard than the hinge bracket?

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Is it possible to flip the rear mounting for the SFX PSU so that it sits closer to the motherboard than the hinge bracket?
Nope, rear sfx psu bracket is asymetrical, thus you have only one position to put on case frame.
After you can try to locate elsewhere sfx psu on infinite vents (front, bottom maybe top if you have top bracket). You can use cable ties to hold psu.

However @KSliger, that could be another reason to try this small SFX psu bracket suited for infinite vents..:D

Last edited:

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
^ Seriously considered jumping on TR since the 2920x is now 299. Obviously the 2920x is eclipsed by the 3900x but the TR platform is extremely well rounded for a work and play machine for years to come.

Last edited:
Reactions: Allhopeforhumanity

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
^ Seriously considered jumping on TR since the 2920x is now 299. Obviously the 2920x is eclipsed by the 3900x but the TR platform is extremely well rounded for a work and play machine for years to come.

I considered doing similar (the physics sims I run really love higher memory bandwidth), but with the mother boards costing more than the CPUs, I've been holding off upgrading my homelab from the 3930k thats been such a workhorse for the past ~8 years.

Reactions: TheHig

Qrash

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 10, 2015

Has there been any confirmation that the upcoming TR processors will work in X399 motherboards?

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
A lot of “should “ and boards supporting new processors through 2020 — much the same as AM4. So while it is tempting I’m really wondering how bios support will actually turn out.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
holding out for 3950X? :eek:
Or the rumored Zen2 Threadripper that I've heard some whispers of potentially coming in the Oct/Nov time frame to mirror Intel's HEDT efforts?
I’m aiming to 3900x, especially without smt enabled. 3950x will be too expensive.

I’ve long hesitated between z390+core i9 9900k or x570+r9 3900x. I found x570 platform very well designed (future proof) with tons of space for m.2 storage. I’ve also considered a r7 3700x with my x370 c6h, however, even if it was working, x370 mb is lacking too many bandwidth for my taste.
At the end, results of r9 3900x without in gaming was the decisive point...(even without smt, r9 3900x is ahead vs core i9 9900k 8c/16t in productivity)
Cherry on the top i’ve chosen msi x570 ace motherboard with 3 m.2, semi passive x570 cooling and good over locking potential.

Now i’m waiting for available r9 3900x in France, hopefully next week.

I’ll keep you informed.
Here are some very interesting reviews/info :
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-9-3900x-smt-off-vs-intel-9900k/
https://www.anandtech.com/show/14603/the-msi-meg-x570-ace-motherboard-review

Last edited:

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
The Meg Ace looks very good. I was checking out the Gigabyte Aorus Master WiFi for the 3 m.2 slots as well. Looks like these two boards are price competitive. The extra M.2 slot is a no brainier for Cerberus X builds as you can add even more storage with out the cable clutter.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
The Meg Ace looks very good. I was checking out the Gigabyte Aorus Master WiFi for the 3 m.2 slots as well. Looks like these two boards are price competitive. The extra M.2 slot is a no brainier for Cerberus X builds as you can add even more storage with out the cable clutter.
That's what i love with Cerberus-X, its flexibility.
With X570 ATX MB, you have more choice, potential passive chipset cooling, more M.2.

I was looking also for Gigabyte Aorus ultra, however I removed it from my short list due to location of cmos (bottom, in front of my radiator) and Bios update button (near 24pin, awkward access with front SFX PSU).

Match was between MSI X570 ACE and Aorus X570 Master. MSI won due to semi passive chipset cooling and lower price (in europe..apparently it's the contrary in US..;))

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Agree Cerberus X is a great investment.:thumb:

I really prefer the MSI and boards vs Gigabyte personally. Sons build on the B450 Pro Carbon and has been rock solid. But no Ace yet at Microcenter and 50 off the boards with cpu combo till the end of July I’m told. Sadly the 3900x is sold out there too.

Last edited:

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Oh snap. Meg Ace stocked locally with 50 off cpu combo. 3900x is still a unicorn...

Maybe 3600 placeholder for a while ?

Going with the MSI on your recommendation regardless Marc. ?

Reactions: MarcParis

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Oh snap. Meg Ace stocked locally with 50 off cpu combo. 3900x is still a unicorn...

While I do often prefer the MSI bios to the gigabyte/asrock alternatives, the VRMs, I/O, and lack of intel nic on the MEG/MPG X570 line is steering me towards either Gigabyte or Asus when the 16-core finally makes its appearance. .

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016

Yes R9 3900X is still pretty hard to find (maybe next week in France)
Which MSI board will you take? the same X570 ACE?

While I do often prefer the MSI bios to the gigabyte/asrock alternatives, the VRMs, I/O, and lack of intel nic on the MEG/MPG X570 line is steering me towards either Gigabyte or Asus when the 16-core finally makes its appearance. .
Well MSI X570 is offering same intel nic (211AT) as all competitors + 2.5gbits realtek as all competitors at similar price range (I will test if it makes any differences)
I appreciate MSI X570 ACE I/O as it's not using additional chip that requires additional time to boot. X570 + Ryzen 3000 are offering a pretty good I/O.
MSI X570 ACE VRM are pretty strong...anyway even Ryzen 9 3950X won't use more than 384w on load..:) We don't need level of crasy VRM of top end of intel X299 or Threadripper that can exceed this limit of 384W (equal to 1x8 pins cpu connector)

But anyway, best feature of MSI X570 ACE is this zero frozr feature (semi-passive cooling) on X570 chipset.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Yeah when I make the move I’m set on the Ace. VRM is good enough on all the boards at this price point . I like the look of the MSI board and will give it a go.

Reactions: MarcParis

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Yeah when I make the move I’m set on the Ace. VRM is good enough on all the boards at this price point . I like the look of the MSI board and will give it a go.
Now question is : who will receive his ryzen 3000 first lol