Log SMALLEST ATX CASE : CERBERUS-X (Complete build log)

kecoal2

Caliper Novice
May 6, 2018
Hey,

So I upped my fan curve on my intake fans that seems to have resolved the issue as well as opening up the vented slots in the rear. I need to figure out a good exhaust method.

Unfortunately, one of the screws on the backplate got stuck in the base of the chassis. I am going to need to find a drill bit small enough to get it out one day. It isn't big deal though.

[Imgur](https://i.imgur.com/dRacMeX.jpg)

Update: I think the actual issue is my motherboard's cables that connect to the PSU are way too close to the GPU. the GPU generates heat and which causes some surge to occur within the power supply causing a full system freeze. I swapped the PSU around so the cables are on the other side. Lets see if this fixes the problem.

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Hey,

So I upped my fan curve on my intake fans that seems to have resolved the issue as well as opening up the vented slots in the rear. I need to figure out a good exhaust method.

Unfortunately, one of the screws on the backplate got stuck in the base of the chassis. I am going to need to find a drill bit small enough to get it out one day. It isn't big deal though.

[Imgur](https://i.imgur.com/dRacMeX.jpg)

Update: I think the actual issue is my motherboard's cables that connect to the PSU are way too close to the GPU. the GPU generates heat and which causes some surge to occur within the power supply causing a full system freeze. I swapped the PSU around so the cables are on the other side. Lets see if this fixes the problem.
Good news!
I hope you will find a proper way to remove stuck screw...;)

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
Welcome to Cerberus community...;)

Well 280 rad is fitting either on front (without sfx psu) and on bottom. Drawback on 280mm bottom location is lack of space between bottom of motherboard (where some i/o are located) and radiator.

I just recently started researching on this case for my next build. Would using a 240mm radiator on the bottom resolve the space constraints? In particular I'd like to use an EATX motherboard with an AIO cooled CPU. Would this even be possible with the EATX board, or would the size of the board impact my ability to have a radiator on the bottom at all?

bran

Average Stuffer
Feb 10, 2018
I just recently started researching on this case for my next build. Would using a 240mm radiator on the bottom resolve the space constraints? In particular I'd like to use an EATX motherboard with an AIO cooled CPU. Would this even be possible with the EATX board, or would the size of the board impact my ability to have a radiator on the bottom at all?

Yeah it works dude.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Eatx board limit in cerberus-x is only to use only back/side psu (atx or sfx).
Bottom 240mm radiator is compatible with eatx mb. Using 240mm radiator at bottom will give you more space for i/o...except usb3.0 connector, where you will need slim extension, you should have no major issue

cdga

Case Bender
Sep 21, 2018
Hello

I looking the cerberus on this website :
http://chimera.industries/cerberus/#cerberus-design
and after i click on the reseller link for buy it :
http://www.sliger.com/products/cases/cerberus/
After i bought it, i see a difference in the specifications between the 2 websites ( 148mm height max for the cpu cooler on the first and the website of the reseller indicate 145mm.... )

My cooler is a cr-95c of 148mm of height, so this 3mm are important for me.

I already send a message for cancel the order, hope it will do it, if the cpu cooler is 148mm, i will make a new order but i can't take this risk, shippings costs for France are not exactly low cost.
I check cerberus and cerberus x and it's the same, 145mm on the reseller website.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Hello

I looking the cerberus on this website :
http://chimera.industries/cerberus/#cerberus-design
and after i click on the reseller link for buy it :
http://www.sliger.com/products/cases/cerberus/
After i bought it, i see a difference in the specifications between the 2 websites ( 148mm height max for the cpu cooler on the first and the website of the reseller indicate 145mm.... )

My cooler is a cr-95c of 148mm of height, so this 3mm are important for me.

I already send a message for cancel the order, hope it will do it, if the cpu cooler is 148mm, i will make a new order but i can't take this risk, shippings costs for France are not exactly low cost.
I check cerberus and cerberus x and it's the same, 145mm on the reseller website.
Ahah..:)
The most precise site is Sliger as it's the producer of Cerberus cases.

Now in terms of cpu cooler compatibility, I've good news for you..:)

Scythe fuma rev B is compatible with cerberus (without side bracket)..and its height is 149mm..:D
So I guess cr-95c of 148mm of height is doable inside cerberus case. It will be great to see some passive cooling...with passive psu also..:)

edit : link to fuma inside cerberus :
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...x-usa-made-enclosure.454/page-227#post-105316

Reactions: AMv8-1day

cdga

Case Bender
Sep 21, 2018
Thx for you fast reply, the cpu cooler height of cerberus x is exactly the same or there a little difference ?
Another question, can you say me why the "vented panel" is vented on only 40-50% and not on all ?

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Thx for you fast reply, the cpu cooler height of cerberus x is exactly the same or there a little difference ?
Another question, can you say me why the "vented panel" is vented on only 40-50% and not on all ?
As far as i remember, a full vented panel is more expensive (or maybe required additional expensive tooling).
After i like the windowed version

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
I'm thinking to switch (again) my dear swiftech Apogee Drive combo by Noctua C14S (easier maintenance, lower gpu temperature and noise). In fact I'm not even overclocking my R7 1700X as it does not influence gaming performance at 4K where GPU is limitation.

My only problem is the choice of 140 square fans that can run at 2000rpm without becoming deaf...if there were some noctua fans equivalent of their pretty good NF A12x25 in 140mm I'll go for them..;)

My current list of favorite140mm fans are :
  • NF A12x25 with 140mm adapters
  • EK Vardar EVO 140mm (could be great with their 0rpm mode, not too expensive, not the loudest...but I fear their reliability)
  • Noctua PPC 2000 (well they tend to be very noisy, very quickly based on my previous experience...not a fan of them)

What will be your advices of fans or cpu cooling choice?

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
you can test noiseblocker if you will use it without obstacules in the pull mode
Nice fans so far
Yes I know them. These are pretty good fan, however I see at least 2 issues that prevents me using them :
  • Increased thickness of 29mm instead of standard 25mm...it won't fit on top on C14S in Cerberus
  • Too low max rpm (1200rpm on pwm version)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
I've found interesting review of nf a12x25, including comparison versus Gentle Typhoon or versus others 140mm fan :
https://www.overclockers.com/noctua-nf-a12x25-fan-review/

Vs 120mm fan on radiator (including Gentle Typhoon) :

It's demonstrating that both Gentle Typhoon and nf a12x25 are both excellent (ratior CFM/noise)..:D
ps : I like how Corsair ML120 fan are performing as good as nf a12x25 at 2000rpm...but with +10dB..:D
ps2 : please note really decent performance on radiator of slim nf a12x15. I guess @fabio will be happy with his setup..:D

Vs 140mm fan on radiator :

Vs 140mm, result is a mix bag...on one side, nf 112x25 is the quiested at 2000rpm (-10dB vs nf A14-2000) but performance on open/restricted is below.

In conclusion :
  • 120mmx25mm fan : Gentle Typhoon of Noctua nf a12x25
  • 120mmx15mm fan : Noctua nf a 12x15
  • 140mmx25mm fan : ????

Reactions: galletabah

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Yes! And I finally getting at the end of my setup! I will miss the 3rd GPU, but is not out yet). I've decided to go for a full Watercooled setup, so, we'll see the performance and temp under overclock!

Reactions: MarcParis