Concept Laser-Cut Basic micro-ATX case-Help needed!

el01

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 4, 2018
Hello good people! I have created a rough prototype for a laser-cuttable micro-atx chassis of a very basic construction. This is intended as a familiarization with Inkscape and an entry into case design. While it may not be small-form-factor, it is slightly smaller than a ATX case. It is inspired by the Thermaltake Core cases.

However, I do not have access to a laser cutter nor acrylic, so it would be awesome if you people could do any of the following:
  • Add suggestions about the design (if you could provide SVG files, that would be awesome)
  • Cut it out of 0.125 in acrylic, build a computer inside of it, and test it for fit
  • Contribute ideas about features you would like to see.
I will add things that I need help with as I go.

Thanks!
Link to SVG File
(hopefully the correct size)

You can contact my over PCPartPicker as well...

el01

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 4, 2018
Priorities:

- PCIe slot supports and subsequent mounting system
- PSU mounting bracket and subsequent mounting system
- Drive mounting brackets and subsequent mounting system
- I/O Shield mounting bracket and subsequent mounting system
- Cable management system and subsequent mounting system
- Front Panel I/O mounting for https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...ed:accessoryType:I/O+Panel&text=#rotatingText (the cheapest option possible_
OR any community I/O panel.
- 120mm fan mounts

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
1. Most of us here don't have laser cutters here, and I don't think anyone is willing to cut a mATX sized case for you out of 1/8 acrylic. If you need laser cutting service I suggest you look into Ponoko or your local laser shop. It will be about $100 for a mATX sized case out of 3mm (1/8) acrylic.

2. You should post concept pics and/or your 3d sketch.

3. You shouldn't be guessing when you are about to cut, it should be dimensionally accurate in 3d modeled or else it would be very wasteful.

el01

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 4, 2018
OK got it...

My plan of attack here is to have 2d parts cut out and to assemble them into a 3d model. Modeling the case in Tinkercad or OnShape will be a pain, but I will try.

If you know someone familiar with this case type, please refer them to me for help.

My plan is to refine the 2d model by using some spec sheets and hopefully the help of others.

I will post concepts later today.

Thanks!

P.S. I feel kinda overwhelmed by the expertise that I find here on SFF Forum, so could you refer me to another website for less experienced creators and/or makers of larger cases? Thanks!

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
OK got it...

My plan of attack here is to have 2d parts cut out and to assemble them into a 3d model. Modeling the case in Tinkercad or OnShape will be a pain, but I will try.

If you know someone familiar with this case type, please refer them to me for help.

My plan is to refine the 2d model by using some spec sheets and hopefully the help of others.

I will post concepts later today.

Thanks!

P.S. I feel kinda overwhelmed by the expertise that I find here on SFF Forum, so could you refer me to another website for less experienced creators and/or makers of larger cases? Thanks!

I would start with onshape. It's easy to draw 3d.

I would also reference this

https://www.protocase.com/resources/how-to-design-for-motherboards/

You can do 2d, but it needs to be accurate for it to fit properly. If you are off by 0.5 mm then it may have fitment issues.

el01

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 4, 2018
My computer is acting up right now (constant thermal throttling despite reapplication of thermal paste, fan at max speed, and proper heatsink mounting pressure, so I won't be able to finish the model today... Hopefully tomorrow!