Small aluminium gaming case (~18.5l)

Itanium

Chassis Packer
Feb 1, 2017
Dude that case looks sweet. I'm thinking of making my own case too but a small matx version. Is it possible to make a case with wood? I don't have the skill and tools to work with aluminum. Sorry if this is a bit off topic but I'm just curious.

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
Dude that case looks sweet. I'm thinking of making my own case too but a small matx version. Is it possible to make a case with wood? I don't have the skill and tools to work with aluminum. Sorry if this is a bit off topic but I'm just curious.
Yes, you should just make sure nothing too hot is touching the wood, you don't want catching anything on fire. Also, most people just go to a metal shop, and it just requires the designs and where you want what to get bent.

Itanium

Chassis Packer
Feb 1, 2017
most people just go to a metal shop, and it just requires the designs and where you want what to get bent.

Yea, I'm a bit poor right now and I have some wood lying around in my shed so I can't afford going to a metal shop but thanks for the suggestion though! I'm gonna start a new thread soon and add some sketch up photos of my design.

schmiran

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 20, 2017
Looking forward to see it! @HeroXLazer while u say something about bending, did u think my design will work and is stable enough to hold a glas panel?

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
Looking forward to see it! @HeroXLazer while u say something about bending, did u think my design will work and is stable enough to hold a glas panel?
If you use the right type of mounting for the glass, it'll work/ I would recommend some screws if you can't use a screw mount. Screw mount would work the best. Also, what's your native language?

schmiran

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 20, 2017
Hey guys, do u think a bend like this will work? I am planning to do this with a 20x20x2 mm aluminium L profile. The outer radius is 7mm. The hole is for a screw like this https://www.ganter-griff.de/de/prod...t-Griffen/DIN-464-Hohe-Raendelschrauben-Stahl which holds the glass panel.

This was my question :)

nero626

Average Stuffer
Dec 8, 2016
Yes, you should just make sure nothing too hot is touching the wood, you don't want catching anything on fire. Also, most people just go to a metal shop, and it just requires the designs and where you want what to get bent.

Wood is generally pretty safe for building PCs, a lot of people have built PC desks cases with regular plywood, the ignition temperature of wood is pretty high (~150c to char), similar to acrylic's melting point, and that is for a prolonged period of contact, the actual ignition point of wood is upwards of 200c+

Itanium

Chassis Packer
Feb 1, 2017
Wood is generally pretty safe for building PCs, a lot of people have built PC desks cases with regular plywood, the ignition temperature of wood is pretty high (~150c to char), similar to acrylic's melting point, and that is for a prolonged period of contact, the actual ignition point of wood is upwards of 200c+
I've made a new thread discussing my project if you wanna check it out

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Aluminum sheathing now in one piece. Frame updated.

So is the dark grey section on the side a separate piece or is it part of the outer sheathing?

And it's possible with the right tooling, but be very careful designing an enclose box in sheet metal. Most shops can't form it.

Reactions: ricochet

schmiran

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 20, 2017
So is the dark grey section on the side a separate piece or is it part of the outer sheathing?

And it's possible with the right tooling, but be very careful designing an enclose box in sheet metal. Most shops can't form it.

Hey, no the dark grey part is the inner frame made of 2 mm aluminium. The outer sheathing (3 mm aluminium) ist just the light grey part. The outer sheathing is open at the back-bottom, so its not a "closed loop" and is screwed to the bottom and back of the frame. Do u think a shop will have problems with this?

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Could you post a screenshot of just the inner frame? It's hard to tell how easy it will be to manufacture with all the other parts covering it up.

schmiran

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 20, 2017
for sure:

At the back bottom where u can see the edge i am planning to weld the bended L-profiles together. The 4 "bridges" are welded to the two L-profiles and connect them. The motherboard tray is from one piece and welded too. I hope I could explain it a bit better now.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
If you want the ball and studs for your side panels without having to buy them from some obscure retailer or directly from the manufacturer, Case Labs sells them in packs of 10 on their website as replacement parts.

Reactions: ricochet and Phuncz

schmiran

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 20, 2017
Yes I have seen them but I am away from ball and studs now because I cant find them in germany and I do not want to pay like 50 € just for delivery if the part is like 5$ :-D I will use nice screws for the sidepanel now and the other outer sheathing is screwed at the back so i'll not see them.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
How many do you need? I have a couple of 10 packs I'm probably not gonna use. I can't imagine it'd be much to ship them from Canada in a tiny envelope and I think I can manage not charging for handling ; )