Small aluminium gaming case (~18.5l)

schmiran

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 20, 2017
Hi guys, I was long on the search for a nice small mITX case, that is suitable for a small powerfull gaming system and water cooling in really small format. Since I could not really find one that I like, I've made the time to design one myself and wanted to ask what you think of it. It is divided into two parts. The rear part is for the power supply and a small radiator, as well as the memory. In the front part you can find all other important components. It is one of the first designs and I would be delighted to get suggestions from you!

Excuse my google translate english :p

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
You need to post links to your photos where they are hosted on a publicly viewable site. I don't think you can post actual images.

schmiran

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 20, 2017
I should perhaps say that it is not the final hardware in it but rather something like placeholders

schmiran

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 20, 2017
Thank you, then I am probably in the wrong forum. I was not aware of the exact definition. For me its still small ;)

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Welcome to the forum!

It is one of the first designs and I would be delighted to get suggestions from you!

What material is the frame made of? The metal between those long vents on the rear may be too flexible if it's somewhat thin sheet metal.

Thank you, then I am probably in the wrong forum. I was not aware of the exact definition. For me its still small ;)

We do not enforce strict limits on case size. In general, the larger it is, the more we expect it to be packed full of hardware to justify the size.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
This looks great so far @schmiran ! The only way to go smaller than this is the move the fans from the bottom of the case to the windowed panel so well done of how you organized the components.

Reactions: ricochet

schmiran

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 20, 2017
Yeah, I still like the name, reminds me of Project M-ATX. :)

The next time I will first think of a cool name. I have named the thread after what I hoped to do here: discuss about my project of a small case (for me SFF) , supporting custom water cooling, a large GPU, simple exterior without beeing something like the cube designed ones.

Welcome to the forum!

Thank you! I rly like the Cerberus :)

What material is the frame made of? The metal between those long vents on the rear may be too flexible if it's somewhat thin sheet metal.

The Frame is made of aluminium square tubes (15x15mm, 2mm wall thickness) . The sidepanels are made off 3mm aluminium, the motherboard tray aswell. Did u think this will make any problems? Nothing is mounted to the sidepanels, i use "mounting parts" (mounted to the Frame) because I do not want to see screws at the outside. The rear vent will get the same layout like the top/bottom/side i just forget to update it :p

We do not enforce strict limits on case size. In general, the larger it is, the more we expect it to be packed full of hardware to justify the size.

That's nice to hear. My goal wasnt to put powerfull hardware in a beautiful and compact case since there are already very nice systems like Ceberus or ncase m1. I would definitely like to have a nice visible custom water cooling and not the power supply or memory see as in Lian Li PC-O5S. The Lian Li PC-Q37 would have been a possibility but I do not like the height.

This looks great so far @schmiran ! The only way to go smaller than this is the move the fans from the bottom of the case to the windowed panel so well done of how you organized the components.

Thank you! I Think i coud put them at the fronpanel but i like the clean look of it

@Aibohphobia How is the fastening system called that you used at Cerberus to attach the side panels? I have seen this often, also with other cases but I do not know how it is called ;)

Do u think i will get problems with the heat in the rear section because of the radiator?

Last edited:

schmiran

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 20, 2017
i planed with an SFX PSU and yes it is placed in the second part behind the motherboard. ill upload some more images later the day

Reactions: Soul_Est

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
Welcome to the forum!

I know.

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
24L isn't really all that small, there are a number of production ITX cases that support watercooling that are about that size.

The Define Nano S is 27L, has a window, and supports 240mm radiators at the top and up to 280mm radiators at the front, and has a pretty good minimalism aesthetic to it.

schmiran

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 20, 2017
24L isn't really all that small, there are a number of production ITX cases that support watercooling that are about that size.

The Define Nano S is 27L, has a window, and supports 240mm radiators at the top and up to 280mm radiators at the front, and has a pretty good minimalism aesthetic to it.

Yes u are right there are many cases about this size and with watercooling but not with the layout i wish. I have seen this case before, dont like that i can see the PSU in the window, dont like the plastic, and its not aluminium i think. And i like frameless tempered glass windows more. I notice I need to make more clear what I want. I'll take the time later and post some more images and what i want to have.

schmiran

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 20, 2017
Soo i fixed some problems, here now the new pictures, i hope it gives a better overview:

Sorry for the long post :-D

The storage placement isnt final. Aswell as all the other parts ;)
I would be happy about suggestions!