Concept RSC - Really Small Case

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Back On Track

I added in the holes for the screws that will anchor either a HDPLEX 400W HiFi DC-ATX or HDPLEX 300W AC-DC.

While that image looks very busy, many of the construction lines (in blue) are for outlining the power supplies and the motherboard to help me position everything correctly. Unfortunately, after updating that part of the model, I broke the references for other features of the model. *headdesk* Back to fixing the model yet again...

Last edited:

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Finished The Bottom Tray (?)

Art is never finished, only abandoned. -- Leonardo Da Vinci

After going over the model again to make sure that all the geometry was sound and rounding all of the sharp corners, I end up with something that looked like this:

Now the questions are, "Do I keep the mounting holes for the PSUs?" and "Do I add space for installing a C14 jack by widening the case?".

Reactions: Biowarejak

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Any updates?
Definitely. I have been looking at incorporating mounting space for a C14 socket. The dimensions have grown to 563.60 mm x 319.41 mm x 60.00 mm or 10.8 L (I think). This is too big and I am currently changing the model to merely take a DC-DC power supply. While having AC-DC and DC-DC housed in the case would be great, it does limit the design.

Reactions: AleksandarK

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
For the foreseeable future, I will have to stall the design work on RSC and other cases. This is due to a tracking issue bug with FreeCAD and the Sheetmetal Workbench. As the hierarchy of changes to the model is not linear, there is wonkiness in the model. Certain changes will create a copy of the model in its current state and apply changes to that. When a change is made to an earlier state of the model, the changes do not propagate forward to the current state of the model.

Case and point:

I do hate to do this and I must discontinue work on the concepts until I come up with either a solution, workaround, or new workflow that will let me create unfettered. Sorry @GuilleAcoustic , @Hahutzy , @Kmpkt , @Thehack , @CC Ricers , @Aibohphobia , @jord , @Colinreay , @Runamok81 , @Phuncz , @ricochet , @GentlemanShark , and @Jello . It will still be some time yet before this dream comes to fruition.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
You should give onshape a try my friend.

While their sheetmetal is not 100% up yet, there is a very good working concept and they are continuously pushing updates.
Thank you for the suggestion. I did give Onshape a proper try. The issue that I have is one that will plague me until I get a system with a more capable GPU: weak OpenGL and WebGL performance. I am still searching for a tool or group of tools to get my workflow back on track.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Was using an Intel HD4600 and upgraded to a small and efficient GT1030.

Very happy with. Runs FreeCAD and Path of Exile smoothly. Tell me if you want me to test a specific stuff for you.
Thank you for the kind offer. If such a need arise, I shall let you know.

Reactions: AleksandarK

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
So this will be a quiet update for those still following the thread. With inspiration and motivation from @_ONE_ and others, I've decided to get back to work on RSC.

I found a file from the very day I posted about stalling the project which has a complete case. The difference is that the sketches responsible for many of the features of the case are not assigned to any face or any part but are assigned to an exact location in 3D space. Here it is:

We'll see where things go from here.

Reactions: _ONE_

_ONE_

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 1, 2017
Haha that's awesome ?

Ok let's do something cool with that case!

Keep us updated !