Prototype Slim console-style case from Velkase. Looking for tester and reader feedback.

labmonke101

Average Stuffer
Jun 22, 2020
@VELKASE Michael

Any idea if this would work for the slim prototype?

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
@VELKASE Michael

Any idea if this would work for the slim prototype?

I cannot give a definite answer without knowing the measurements of that riser card, but it seems unlikely.

If it does not support PCIe gen 4 on AMD motherboards and graphics cards, then the included riser cable may already be better.

I think that Linkup's 10 cm gen 4 cable with straight connectors should fit.

crackerlegs

Trash Compacter
Sep 19, 2020
I'm looking at the GPU compatability here and I'm fairly certain this case can accommodate a 3080tuf.

If this is true I'm about ready to hit the buy button. Please can you confirm?

I currently have a winterone case and this case is literally half the size.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
I'm looking at the GPU compatability here and I'm fairly certain this case can accommodate a 3080tuf.

If this is true I'm about ready to hit the buy button. Please can you confirm?

I currently have a winterone case and this case is literally half the size.
It looks like it should fit based on the dimensions and images on the ASUS page.

labmonke101

Average Stuffer
Jun 22, 2020
I cannot give a definite answer without knowing the measurements of that riser card, but it seems unlikely.

If it does not support PCIe gen 4 on AMD motherboards and graphics cards, then the included riser cable may already be better.

I think that Linkup's 10 cm gen 4 cable with straight connectors should fit.
Any reason the 5cm one wouldn’t work? I measured the included one and it is 5cm so I’m assuming it would but want to make sure I’m not missing something

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Any reason the 5cm one wouldn’t work? I measured the included one and it is 5cm so I’m assuming it would but want to make sure I’m not missing something
It will work, they're just measured differently.

@crackerlegs on this page, it seems like specs have been updated: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/asus-tuf-rtx-3080-gaming.b7989

so maybe the asus page is wrong?
The physical dimensions are the same on the ASUS and Techpowerup pages.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Will there be a flexatx version to slim down the case even more that still fits noctua L9?
Probably not because there are few people willing to use Flex ATX power supplies and it would be too similar in hardware compatibility and size to my other cases.
It would be cool but at best, it would live in the shadow of the SFX version.

razorgamez

Caliper Novice
Jun 5, 2021
Are any units from the test batch still available? Might be interested in getting one. I have a 5800x and FE3080 which should be a pretty good combo to try out.

rahl07

Caliper Novice
Nov 28, 2017
Love the design and initial release, but since the only thing I could get "reasonable" is a Red Devil, and it's hooge, I'll have to bow out. Bravo to the design though, it looks great.

Reactions: VELKASE Michael

razorgamez

Caliper Novice
Jun 5, 2021
Just so I can get all the parts ready. For cpu coolers, what would the best air cooled option be for this case? The thermalright axp-90 copper?

SkorpioNElite

Chassis Packer
Feb 13, 2021
Either the Noctua NH-L9a / NH-L9i with their air duct NA-FD1, the Cryorig C7G or the Thermalright AXP-90 Copper. The Alpenföhn Blackridge is another option if there's enough clearance with other components. Or the ID-Cooling IS-47K, although not available anywhere.

Cryorig C7G is also a full copper cooler with great performance, but needs more than 47mm space. Facing side panels in my Sentry it was quite noisy. The Noctuia tops it with the build quality and almost the same performance as the Cryorig full copper cooler (With duct).

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
The Black Ridge is not compatible with this particular case because it overhangs the PCIe slot. That space is taken up by the PCIe riser.
The ID-Cooling IS-47K may work if it leaves enough space for the PCIe riser but this has not yet been tested.

Coolers that will definitely work:
  • Noctua NH-L9(a/i)
  • Cryorig C7(G/Cu)
  • Thermalright AXP-90 copper
The latter two 47 mm CPU coolers should end up with at least 3 mm of space between the fan and side panel for some degree of turbulence noise reduction.