Prototype Slim console-style case from Velkase. Looking for tester and reader feedback.

GucksTV

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 13, 2018
www.youtube.com
Just out of curiosity, how much space is there behind the SFX unit? :) would it be possible to maybe fit a 240mm Radiator with one 120mm fan mounted, if the GPU is small enought? Like with current waterblocks the PCBs are getting shorter and shorter! 😁🔥

Intelsonic

Efficiency Noob
Aug 27, 2018
Love the look of the case and will be following it going forward, would be really interesting to give it a try.

Any chance you would consider adding some high to the case for taller GPU support? Feel like very few high end GPU's will fit in this case as the vast majority are over 2 slots and taller then 127mm, even 10 to 20mm could increase the compatability a lot.

Intelsonic

Efficiency Noob
Aug 27, 2018
Love the look of the case and will be following it going forward, would be really interesting to give it a try.

Any chance you would consider adding some high to the case for taller GPU support? Feel like very few high end GPU's will fit in this case as the vast majority are over 2 slots and taller then 127mm, even 10 to 20mm could increase the compatability a lot.
Also like the look of the bar feet, quite unique stylistically compared to other offerings on the market.

I/O wise with such a small case I would probably find it just as easy to use the rear I/O compared to fropnt I/O, might even leave it unplugged to reduce the hassle of cable management

garou81

Chassis Packer
Feb 4, 2017
My 2 cents.
  • For once I'd like a console case to prioritize the console form factor over fitting the largest video card possible.
  • For the I/o id like a nice power button not just a vandal switch
  • I don't like the idea of a vertical console case there are a ton of awesome vertical cases already

Gilles3000

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 6, 2018
My 2 cents.
  • For once I'd like a console case to prioritize the console form factor over fitting the largest video card possible.
Unfortunately, that an inherit design constraint of a console case with an SFX power supply. You're just left with a lot of room for the GPU by default.

The only way to downsize from there is to go with either a DC PSU or Flex-ATX like the SGPC K29, but that leaves you with a max cooler height of 30mm and max gpu lenth of 180mm. Might be fine for some people, but that 30mm cooler limit is a deal breaker for most.

The only way do small GPU console cases properly, is with a non standard DC PSU, but that scares off even more people...

So yeah, no point in making small GPU console cases unless you want it to cater to an extremely niche market within the already niche SFF market.

garou81

Chassis Packer
Feb 4, 2017
Unfortunately, that an inherit design constraint of a console case with an SFX power supply. You're just left with a lot of room for the GPU by default.

The only way to downsize from there is to go with either a DC PSU or Flex-ATX like the SGPC K29, but that leaves you with a max cooler height of 30mm and max gpu lenth of 180mm. Might be fine for some people, but that 30mm cooler limit is a deal breaker for most.

The only way do small GPU console cases properly, is with a non standard DC PSU, but that scares off even more people...

So yeah, no point in making small GPU console cases unless you want it to cater to an extremely niche market within the already niche SFF market.
Let me just address the points you made. Having a flex atx psu or a DC psu does not limit the cooler height or the max gpu length, I just don't get what you mean there. If you put the psu in front of the motherboard it doesn't extend into the gpu area and does not affect the cpu cooler height.

To the niche market point I don't know how big either market is but I do know that a console case the size of a vcr that supports an sfx psu and a full length video card already exists, there's like 5 of them i know of 2 of which saw large production runs. Secondly is the entry level card market smaller than the pcmaster race card market. I can go buy a 3080ti right now from bestbuy. With all due respect I don't think the number of people wanting a console case for a 3070 or lesser is smaller than the number of people who wish to put a 3080 or greater in a console case.

I would like the max gpu length to be around 270 any larger than that your talking about a behemoth of a card that's gonna generate much more heat. Again the case is the priority to me if it were the card Id just buy the best card with the best case for cooling... cant have it all.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
- Considering the case stand, maybe an approach similar to the Sentry case would be a better choice (ventilation and astetic-wise)

- Front I/O (USB) would be used for a headset or controller, but mainly for USB sticks

- Graphic card length should be enough for some big cards (Even though not recommended I would want to use the top model graphics card with the case)

- Do you have some picture with a mounted 2,5" SSD (Normal configuration would be one M.2 SSD and one 2,5" SSD / HDD, at least for me).

- Standard 3 slot cutout at the back and power cable on the bottom (Easier to manufacture?)

- Black USB 3 Connectors.

- Optional Fan mounting bracket above the GPU and CPU (For Deshrouded GPU / For Alternative CPU-Cooler)

- Complete steel-Design (Optional Front Panels). Use of rivets
-The stand is purposefully made unlike that of the Sentry because it would take a huge amount of space during transport if it were like it. A folding stand would be cool but complex and visually unappealing.

-2.5" drive installed:

-I have considered making a fan bracket for deshrouded graphics cards but I think the only proper way to do it would be to attach the fans to the card rather than the case. Any sort of universal fan bracket would need to be fully adjustable in three dimensions and support 92-120 mm fans at least because there are no standard heatsink dimensions for graphics cards.

Just out of curiosity, how much space is there behind the SFX unit? :) would it be possible to maybe fit a 240mm Radiator with one 120mm fan mounted, if the GPU is small enought? Like with current waterblocks the PCBs are getting shorter and shorter! 😁🔥
208 mm with a 100 mm deep SFX PSU, not including the PSU cables which need about 15-30 mm. Some 120 mm radiators might fit but tubing could be an issue due to the 68 mm internal width of the case. The remaining graphics card length clearance would be 300 mm - (radiator width). You'll need to use screws with heads under 1.2 mm in height

It might be possible to add around 20 mm of height clearance to thicker graphics cards

My 2 cents.
  • I don't like the idea of a vertical console case there are a ton of awesome vertical cases already
What would be your ideal size for a console case? I'm assuming around 5 L?

This design will probably need to support both horizontal and vertical orientations because it's not going to be cheap and locking users into horizontal only could be seen as a big limitation.

This case will need to prioritize features and hardware compatibility to some extent over size minimization because all of my current cases (Velka 3, 5, 7) are laser-focused on size and there are very few people, even among enthusiasts, that care about that. Nearly everyone prefers cases 2-5x larger and it just doesn't make sense for me to oversaturate a small segment I already have cases for when there's an opportunity to make something different.

I'd like the change the power button too. Need more time to explore the options.

Reactions: sos

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
My 2 cents.
Making a console case focused on smallest size will be an even smaller niche than console SFF cases already are, definitely limiting the potential market/audience.

What is a 'nice power button'? Like a CNC aluminium to match the case?

I suspect many do like the ability to use the case vertically, look at the number of stands and things for actual consoles!

garou81

Chassis Packer
Feb 4, 2017
What would be your ideal size for a console case? I'm assuming around 5 L?

This design will probably need to support both horizontal and vertical orientations because it's not going to be cheap and locking users into horizontal only could be seen as a big limitation.

This case will need to prioritize features and hardware compatibility to some extent over size minimization because all of my current cases (Velka 3, 5, 7) are laser-focused on size and there are very few people, even among enthusiasts, that care about that. Nearly everyone prefers cases 2-5x larger and it just doesn't make sense for me to oversaturate a small segment I already have cases for when there's an opportunity to make something different.

I'd like the change the power button too. Need more time to explore the options.
I think 7L is around the ideal mark for me.

In regards to the size if you go down the road of maximizing hardware compatibility then you will be putting your case against the node 202, sliger cl520, silverstone raven and the next sentry. If I as a consumer am open to a vertical case then there's a million more choices for me to consider. This route seems to be the oversaturated one. I'm looking for a case for my game room and living room. The node 202 is too big, its too deep and alot wider than I'd like so thats why my pov is what it is.

I like the phanteks enthoo power button

labmonke101

Average Stuffer
Jun 22, 2020

In regards to the size if you go down the road of maximizing hardware compatibility then you will be putting your case against the node 202, sliger cl520, silverstone raven and the next sentry. If I as a consumer am open to a vertical case then there's a million more choices for me to consider. This route seems to be the oversaturated one. I'm looking for a case for my game room and living room. The node 202 is too big, its too deep and alot wider than I'd like so thats why my pov is what it is.

it sounds like maybe a VK7 is actually a good fit for you? You could lay it horizontally with the included case feet and you’d be good to go i think

I don’t have sales numbers to back me up, but maybe the larger console-style case market is more saturated because there are more customers there? Those professional case companies are hopefully doing market research and justifying the case by the size of the addressable market. The current Velka cases, as stated above, already fill the niche of “space optimization at the expense of all else”, the point of this case is to NOT do that

Reactions: sos

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018

The final version will probably be around 7.2-7.9 L. Any smaller than 7.2 L and 47 mm tall CPU coolers will start to generate noticeably more noise which would be suboptimal for a living room PC.

At 7.9 L, with a few tweaks, the final design could have a larger graphics card clearance than all of the cases you have listed while being smaller than most, so that is why I am considering increasing the size a bit. The size isn't going to creep up endlessly to accommodate "one more" part that almost fits.

Reactions: sos and rfarmer

Gilles3000

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 6, 2018
Let me just address the points you made. Having a flex atx psu or a DC psu does not limit the cooler height or the max gpu length, I just don't get what you mean there. If you put the psu in front of the motherboard it doesn't extend into the gpu area and does not affect the cpu cooler height.
It does matter if you don't want to end up with useless space that'll make you case just as big as those with full size GPU's.

Try some layouts and you'll see, do keep in mind that your small enclosure has to be well under 6L otherwise you're just making your case as big as those that support full size GPU's.

Good luck.

Edit, did some quick napkin math, with a flex GPU in front of the motherboard:

Flex mounted horizontally(flat) with no wasted space: 250mm/2-slot GPU clearance and 30mm CPU cooler clearance. results in a best case scenario volume of 4.81L,Pretty good, but the cpu cooler clearance sucks.

Flex mounted horizontally(flat) with extra space for the cpu cooler: 250mm/2.5(maybe 3)-slot GPU clearance and 50mm CPU cooler clearance. results in a best case scenario volume of 6.73L, pointless.

Flex mounted vertically with no wasted space results in: 190mm/3-slot GPU clearance and 70mm CPU cooler clearance. results in a best case scenario volume of 6.67L, pointless.

I hope you understand what I mean now.

Last edited:
Reactions: riba2233

GucksTV

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 13, 2018
www.youtube.com
pointless
The point of such a GPU clearance is that there is not the availability and as it looks like, next year will be not better. Furthermore we will see just huge cards like the RTX 3090 Ti and RTX 4000 GPUs are all way up in the 450W TDP area and the upcomming RX 7000 GPUs by AMD will be focusing the upper high-end aswell. So there will be just big +300mm Triple Slot Monsters. If @VELKASE Michael is trying to make a case that will be in the focus for the next 2 years the case has to offer compatibility with whats available and what will be the future of GPUs. You can slim-down cases but in the end it doesn't make sence to count "mm" for a case that will be interesting for a handfull of people. :)

I like the big GPU in smallest possible console size concept. 47mm Cooler height is still well enought adopted.

I would just ask for maybe integrating an 240mm Radiator option if the GPU would be actually smaller? Maybe an additional frame with Flex ATX Support (slim down PSU profile, slimmer then SFX so it would allow the Radiator?) Like a PSU Bracket that can be choosen and would integradte SFX PSU for more power and big GPUs and Flex ATX for 240mm Radiator and smaller / not that powerful GPUs. Maybe its just me but I like those Flex ATX PSUs with FSP evolving the standard with modular designs like the FlexGURU.

Last edited:

garou81

Chassis Packer
Feb 4, 2017
It does matter if you don't want to end up with useless space that'll make you case just as big as those with full size GPU's.

Try some layouts and you'll see, do keep in mind that your small enclosure has to be well under 6L otherwise you're just making your case as big as those that support full size GPU's.
Ok I see where we diverge... its the depth for me. The case I have in mind is only about 6.7 L and the sentry is about 7L, not a big difference on paper but If your planning on placing the case horizontally on a shelf or in a cabinet it absolutely matters. The sentry is 310 X 340 X 66 my ideal case is 270 X 330 X 75. My case is more shallow, slightly narrower and has more internal clearance for the cpu cooler but sacrifices 300W cards. Thanks @Gilles3000 for helping me focus my thought.

labmonke101

Average Stuffer
Jun 22, 2020
The point of such a GPU clearance is that there is not the availability and as it looks like, next year will be not better. Furthermore we will see just huge cards like the RTX 3090 Ti and RTX 4000 GPUs are all way up in the 450W TDP area and the upcomming RX 7000 GPUs by AMD will be focusing the upper high-end aswell. So there will be just big +300mm Triple Slot Monsters. If @VELKASE Michael is trying to make a case that will be in the focus for the next 2 years the case has to offer compatibility with whats available and what will be the future of GPUs. You can slim-down cases but in the end it doesn't make sence to count "mm" for a case that will be interesting for a handfull of people. :)

I like the big GPU in smallest possible console size concept. 47mm Cooler height is still well enought adopted.

I would just ask for maybe integrating an 240mm Radiator option if the GPU would be actually smaller? Maybe an additional frame with Flex ATX Support (slim down PSU profile, slimmer then SFX so it would allow the Radiator?) Like a PSU Bracket that can be choosen and would integradte SFX PSU for more power and big GPUs and Flex ATX for 240mm Radiator and smaller / not that powerful GPUs. Maybe its just me but I like those Flex ATX PSUs with FSP evolving the standard with modular designs like the FlexGURU.

On the contrary, because of the purely “flow-through” design of this case, it is extremely friendly to high TDP graphics cards. I’m running a 3080 FE in a VK7 and it’s absolutely fine undervolted, I would expect here I could even OC it. Plenty of 30 series models would work just fine

Reactions: GucksTV

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
For those who want an early version of this case
  • 25 units from a test batch are available for purchase here
  • Enter password test22 to view the page and check all info carefully
  • There is no set release date for the final design, but it is some time away as feedback needs to be collected, design changes need to be made and tested, manufacturing arranged. The final design will have a different appearance, structure, size, etc. to set itself apart from the Velka series. If you want something in the same visual style as the Velka 7 but in the slim console layout, then this will be as close as it gets
The price for these is 230 USD + shipping. Shipping: 18.98 USD to USA, 54.95 to Canada, starts at 69.23 to Europe, starts at 75.17 to Asia
Please also note that the cases from this small batch have some cosmetic defects.

----------------

@GucksTV
Aren't CPU blocks usually over 47 mm in height? I don't see how the case can be slimmed down while adding in 240 mm radiator support.

SkorpioNElite

Chassis Packer
Feb 13, 2021
For the final version, perhaps you should consider the placement of the HDD. As mentioned several times, the GPU cooling gets bigger. And that's
true even for smaller cards. Please consider a placement at the bottom or somewhere else to not interfere with the GPU space.
=> One 2,5" SSD / HDD Spot is needed at least

Also many Motherboards have the NVMe on the back. Is the perforated backside helping with temps?

Suggestion wise:

- Motherboard Cutout. To access the MB backside.
=> NVMe Slots accessibility
=> Switching coolers without having to dismount everything

- Same screw size (Philipps Head or Torx)

- Rivets for everything. (Nothing drilled into a plate)

- Optional Washers to keep the painting
=> Small cases tend to be opened & cleaned more often
=> Build to last, even though ... I also like to experience new features with following revisions

- ON / OFF Switch
=> Either keep it simple with no LEDs or go full RGB

- Fan Mount for alternative coolers / deshrouded GPUs
=> Mounting point should be the "air holes". Could be realized with a mounting plate for 92mm / 120mm Fans with a flat piece against it on the other side of the
case "wall"

Last edited:
Reactions: Runamok81

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
For the final version, perhaps you should consider the placement of the HDD. As mentioned several times, the GPU cooling gets bigger. And that's
true even for smaller cards. Please consider a placement at the bottom or somewhere else to not interfere with the GPU space.
=> One 2,5" SSD / HDD Spot is needed at least

Also many Motherboards have the NVMe on the back. Is the perforated backside helping with temps?

Suggestion wise:

- Motherboard Cutout. To access the MB backside.
=> NVMe Slots accessibility
=> Switching coolers without having to dismount everything

- Same screw size (Philipps Head or Torx)

- Rivets for everything. (Nothing drilled into a plate)

- Optional Washers to keep the painting
=> Small cases tend to be opened & cleaned more often
=> Build to last, even though ... I also like to experience new features with following revisions

- ON / OFF Switch
=> Either keep it simple with no LEDs or go full RGB

- Fan Mount for alternative coolers / deshrouded GPUs
=> Mounting point should be the "air holes". Could be realized with a mounting plate for 92mm / 120mm Fans with a flat piece against it on the other side of the
case "wall"
There can be dedicated space for one 2.5" drive.

The side panel perforation right now is not directly over the area where a rear mounted M.2 drive might be, but it is adjacent.

SkorpioNElite

Chassis Packer
Feb 13, 2021
Thank you for your answer. Perhaps you can gift us some more photos?

I know I got many points, but they are mere suggestions of one person and I would really like some frequent updates.
Your case fits my expectations just like a a glove, some minor exceptions included. Of course.

The 2.5 drive location should be dedicated as you said. There are 2.5" >8 TB SSDs and HDDs, so one place could be enough.

With ATX standard spacing for the NVMe, I don't think there will be an issue. I just got my NVMe SSD cooled by the case itself with a thick thermal pad.
That's the reason for asking.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Thank you for your answer. Perhaps you can gift us some more photos?
Sure, is there anything in particular that you'd like to see?
I know I got many points, but they are mere suggestions of one person and I would really like some frequent updates.
Your case fits my expectations just like a a glove, some minor exceptions included. Of course.
I will need to be very conservative with the status updates on the release version because every aspect of the case is still up for question down to the manufacturer. There could even be a complete redesign depending on what's possible and not possible to make.