Prototype Slim console-style case from Velkase. Looking for tester and reader feedback.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
The purpose of this design is to be a console-style case that can accommodate high-end hardware more quietly than other cases in its size category, and support vertical and horizontal orientations so that it can be used anywhere: in a TV cabinet in the living room, on a desk, etc. At the same time, it is to have a transportable size of around 7-8 liters to further set itself apart from cases made by larger companies.

The current model simply takes the structure and appearance of the Velka 3, 5, 7, and applies it to a different layout. It is not representative of the final product which will not be part of the Velka series and will instead have a different name, appearance, structure, size, and so on. I am looking for feedback to help make some design decisions as this product moves along the development.

• 25 units from a test batch are available for purchase here for $139.99 for those who like the design in the current state and would like to provide feedback
  • Enter password test22 to view the page and check all info carefully
  • Prototypes may have some cosmetic defects like scuffs and scratches
  • Prototype cases are now fully sold out
  • Please note that the official release will have a different appearance, structure, size, etc. to set itself apart from the Velka series. If you want something in the same visual style as the Velka 7 but in the slim console layout, then this will be as close as it gets

Feedback needed:
  • Is there anything you want this case to do better than the Velka series and other console-style cases?
  • Preference for the bar feet or round stand. Which would you use?
  • Front I/O and what you would use it for (ex: wireless adapters, charging, etc.)
  • Should case length be increased to fit graphics cards longer than 300 mm?
  • Anything else that you want to mention?

----------------
Features of the current design:
  • 1.0-1.2 mm steel and 5 mm aluminum construction, thicker than what is used in other cases in its class
  • Transport friendly volume of 7.2 liters
  • CPU cooler clearance of 50 mm for slightly reduced operating noise with 47 mm tall coolers
  • Variable clearance for graphics cards with plenty of space in front of fans for lower operating noise. Mount the power socket in front of the graphics card for extra card height or below the graphics card for extra card thickness up to 3 expansion slots.
  • Compact round vertical stand for vertical orientation and multi-orientation CNC aluminum feet which can be swapped between vertical and horizontal orientations
  • Perforation on 5 sides, including both sides of the graphics card area for pass-through airflow.
Dimensions: 309 x 70 x 332 mm

Weight: 2.1 kg

Volume: 7.2 L external, 6.8 L internal

Materials and finish: 5 mm anodized aluminum front panel, 1.2 mm powdercoated galvanized and stainless steel body and interior, 1.0 mm powdercoated galvanized steel side panels

I/O: 2x USB 3.0 optional if not using SFX-L PSU

PCIe riser: guaranteed compatibility with PCIe gen 3.0 x16. May support PCIe gen 4 based on internal testing, but without guarantees.

Motherboard: Mini ITX

PSU: SFX, SFX-L (without front USB 3.0 ports installed)

CPU cooler: 50 mm. Alpenfohn Black Ridge and other coolers with an overhang over the motherboard PCIe slot are not compatible

Graphics card clearance not including cables. Cables require 16 mm minimum:
dual slot 297 x 146 x 43 mm OR dual slot 300 x 127 (+19 for cables) x 43 mm OR triple slot 300 x 127 (+19 for cables) x 63 mm.

Memory:
55 mm

Storage:
2x 2.5” HDD or SSD
Sum of graphics card thickness and 2.5” drive thickness must not exceed 62 mm
Drive mounts are in front of graphics card fans, therefore it is recommended to use M.2 drives, especially with graphics cards wider than 43 mm

Both the feet and stand mount to moveable stainless steel inner plates which can be attached anywhere on the vents, offering some flexibility in their positioning
Multi-orientation feet

Vertical round stand

Fully concealable USB 3.0 ports using swappable top and bottom panels

Variable graphics card clearances with two different power socket mounting locations

Extra card width: 300 x 127 (+19 for cables) x 63 mm

Extra card height: 297 x 146 x 43 mm OR 300 x 127 (19 for cables) x 43 mm

2.5" drive mount in front of graphics card

Last edited:

Bumfezzler

Caliper Novice
Oct 23, 2021
I love the stealth look; even down to the perfectly placed power button.
I prefer the feet over the round stand.
This is about as close to my ideal case I've seen yet.

One thing I've been looking for in console cases like these is something to clean up the cable mess on the back. Either a channel to route the cables down; or even finding a way to have the video cables rerouted to be side by side with the motherboard. It doesn't seem too feasible in a case like this; but if someone could figure it out I'd be sold.

GucksTV

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 13, 2018
www.youtube.com
That case looks really clean and I love the Node 202 vibes! ;) I would go for the two feet instead of the round base. By the way some kind of case stand for the Velka Series would be cool aswell, sth. the case can slot into but doesn't need to be screwed for easier and faster portability. I love the small footprint, but hate the glued on feet. As the heat of the system makes the glue weak and then the feet start shifting and start to make the case look messy.
I think with SFX and reference GPU length we should be good! :) No need for bigger GPUs as they simply don't belong in a quiet ITX system.
Hopefully Intel will revive the dual slot GPU concept at the beginning of next year with its ARC Alchemist Lineup. Maybe the perfect time for your new case! ;)
I am into it! <3

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
I love the stealth look; even down to the perfectly placed power button.
I prefer the feet over the round stand.
This is about as close to my ideal case I've seen yet.

One thing I've been looking for in console cases like these is something to clean up the cable mess on the back. Either a channel to route the cables down; or even finding a way to have the video cables rerouted to be side by side with the motherboard. It doesn't seem too feasible in a case like this; but if someone could figure it out I'd be sold.
Something like what can be done with one of these cable sleeves or do you want some rigid structure to attach the cables to?

@VELKASE Michael - Interested. Any idea on cooling capacity? Could it cool a 3070 or 3080? What about CPU? Could it cool an i7-12700K? Will it support watercooling?
GPU: If it fits, it will cool itself fine. It's a very open case.
In the current state, RTX 3080 max due to physical dimension constraints.

CPU: Best coolers would be the Cryorig C7 CU/G, Thermalright AXP-90 copper, ID cooling IS-47K, so whatever those can cool.12600k should be fine but I don't know about the 12700k or above.

That case looks really clean and I love the Node 202 vibes! ;) I would go for the two feet instead of the round base. By the way some kind of case stand for the Velka Series would be cool aswell, sth. the case can slot into but doesn't need to be screwed for easier and faster portability. I love the small footprint, but hate the glued on feet. As the heat of the system makes the glue weak and then the feet start shifting and start to make the case look messy.
I think with SFX and reference GPU length we should be good! :) No need for bigger GPUs as they simply don't belong in a quiet ITX system.
Hopefully Intel will revive the dual slot GPU concept at the beginning of next year with its ARC Alchemist Lineup. Maybe the perfect time for your new case! ;)
I am into it! <3

The feet and stands are currently screw-mounted. The feet can be re-mounted to be parallel with the bottom (the smallest side) to avoid having protrusions during transport, but that currently requires a screwdriver. I will try to make it toolless.

As for feet sliding around on the Velka cases, I am exploring some solutions but unfortunately, it is not simple. This case avoids it by having a spare a few spare mm of space on each side for fixtures that larger stands/feet can mount to, and the adhesive does not melt here because it is better insulated from the heat source (two layers of metal and an air gap in between). The Velka cases don't have that extra space.

tja4430

Trash Compacter
Mar 14, 2020
I would be interested as well. Love this form factor! I've had a Sentry 2.0 build for over a year (5600x with a 2070 Super Founders Edition) which has worked great, and would love to have a chance to test this prototype case!

Gilles3000

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 6, 2018
Looks great, but I'd prefer to have the GPU flipped, so the case can lay flat without needing huge feet. I mean, TV consoles are the main use for these cases right, or is everyone just putting them vertically on their desk?

This would also allow you to fit coolers that overhang the PCIe slot

Reactions: sos

paqji

Efficiency Noob
Jan 16, 2020
feature set has a bit that differentiates it from other console style cases, big thumbs up for that. I really like the round stand as well. 3 slot gpus at 7.2 liters is impressive!

Last edited:

rahl07

Caliper Novice
Nov 28, 2017
Definitely interested. I have had the node 202, the sliger conswole, and am currently residing back in a Silverstone Raven ARGB. I need a flat case because of my desk, and the aliger left me a little disappointed.

Edit* just saw max gpu length. I can't fit the red devil in there, and I'd recommend going to 330mm OAL. People aren't buying the cards they want right now, they're buying what they can get for the foreseeable future.

labmonke101

Average Stuffer
Jun 22, 2020
@VELKASE Michael - Interested. Any idea on cooling capacity? Could it cool a 3070 or 3080? What about CPU? Could it cool an i7-12700K? Will it support watercooling?

due to the design, the GPU will have better temps than in almost any other SFF case I would assume...

It is completely flow-through, given it is completely ventilated on both sides, pulling from outside and then directly dumping the hot air to the other side

50mm of CPU clearance means a blackridge/AXP90 or similar. It would be warm, but would be doable to cool at ~100+ watts

labmonke101

Average Stuffer
Jun 22, 2020
Looks great, but I'd prefer to have the GPU flipped, so the case can lay flat without needing huge feet. I mean, TV consoles are the main use for these cases right, or is everyone just putting them vertically on their desk?

I'm vertical on desk, and this layout is perfect for me since i have a 3080 FE and the case is on the left side of my desk. otherwise it would be dumping the heat towards me (totally down to desk setup though)

I think the only CPU cooler that this blocks would be the blackridge? otherwise the axp-90 is very comparable

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
I do wish I could have a Velka with watercooling though... Guessing that's not really feasible here either?

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Definitely interested. I have had the node 202, the sliger conswole, and am currently residing back in a Silverstone Raven ARGB. I need a flat case because of my desk, and the aliger left me a little disappointed.
What made you switch to the Raven?

Good performance in horizontal orientation is definitely a priority. However, having the CPU and GPU fans face opposite directions reduces the PCIe cable length by 20 cm. This has a noticeable effect on PCIe gen 4 compatibility and will have a greater effect on PCIe gen 5 compatibility when the time comes to it.

I do wish I could have a Velka with watercooling though... Guessing that's not really feasible here either?
Maybe with a short graphics card but it's not elegant. I've tried fitting in 92 mm and 120 mm AIOs and you have to start using uncommon 6-32 screws and tubing causes side panels to bulge.

Reactions: SFFMunkee

rahl07

Caliper Novice
Nov 28, 2017
What made you switch to the Raven?

I bought the Raven 2 years ago, it's served me well. I use the console style case on my desk surface, under a triple-monitor arm. I thought with this build, I'd upgrade - so I got the Conswole. It's an *okay* case. Mine came in fairly dirty; it had what appeared to be a kind of graphite-colored film of powder all over the inside. Not a huge deal, so I blew the case out with shop air and wiped it all out with alcohol.

Then I went to install my 2.5" SSDs - and one of the screws that was supposed to have been trimmed from the factory wasn't. So I had to unpack the entire rig to that point to safely cut the screw to length with a Dremel, because metal dust. And then re-clean the case. Again, not world-ending but not great.

Then I went to install the CPU fan I'd chosen, the BeQuiet Shadow Rock LP, which is listed as compatible. It makes contact on a stud socket in one orientation, and covers the ATX power in the other, putting an unfeasible bend in my PSU cable. Now I'm irritated, but I ordered a Scythe Big shuriken 3, since it's a more compact footprint (heatpipes are a little more covered, reducing overhang). ITX can be complicated, and I've got time.

So then I go to drop in my 6700XT Red Devil, which is the size of a Nimitz-class carrier. I get it set down, everything lines up beautifully, and it fits with a razor-thin margin of error but it DOES fit, so I begin tightening the two screws that secure the PCI-slot anchor point. One screw breaks off three turns in.
So I take the thing apart again, because now we're drilling a stuck screw shank in a box full of electronics. I get the screw drilled out, and notice that the threaded insert they use - because it is an insert, not a swaged and tapped hole - is damaged, keeping the screw from being able to be tightened. So now I'm pissed. I reassembled the computer in the old Raven case -- video card first with some creative zip-ties, assembled it, seated everything, turned it on, right to post.

The Conswole is now in the top of my closet.

SO, Sliger, if you're listening - a few things.
1) Better QC, maybe try running screws into holes and back out at the factory. The long front panel screw was disappointing as well.
2) Your InFANity mesh that you use on all the other cases - and the fan grill in this case - looks better and breathes better, so WHY DID YOU CHANGE IT to the boring rectangular chad punch-out.
3) If you want to use the ball/socket studs to attach a case panel, fine - and they are kinda cool - but the location of the ball socket over the motherboard area generates compatibility issues. You'd have been better off with two front ball sockets and two rear thumbscrews that thread in from the back.
4) The power switch needs some help. Lots of wires go right through where its little metal tabs stick off and attach to power wire. maybe turn it 90 degrees or tuck it creatively?

SkorpioNElite

Chassis Packer
Feb 13, 2021
- Considering the case stand, maybe an approach similar to the Sentry case would be a better choice (ventilation and astetic-wise)

- Front I/O (USB) would be used for a headset or controller, but mainly for USB sticks

- Graphic card length should be enough for some big cards (Even though not recommended I would want to use the top model graphics card with the case)

- Do you have some picture with a mounted 2,5" SSD (Normal configuration would be one M.2 SSD and one 2,5" SSD / HDD, at least for me).

- Standard 3 slot cutout at the back and power cable on the bottom (Easier to manufacture?)

- Black USB 3 Connectors.

- Optional Fan mounting bracket above the GPU and CPU (For Deshrouded GPU / For Alternative CPU-Cooler)

- Complete steel-Design (Optional Front Panels). Use of rivets

Reactions: sos and wipefox