Prototype Slim 140mm / 120mm Fan Adapter for 280mm Radiators

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
this is a simple adapter which allows you to mount slim 140mm fans with 120mm fan mounting pattern - e.g. CRYORIG XT140 - to your 280mm radiator

the adapter could be laser cut locally (e.g. SendCutSend or similar services) out of 0.5 ~ 1.5mm stainless steel, aluminum, acrylic or maybe DIY 3D printed

if there is interest from the community I can also make a small batch for you and put it on my shop

I've attached the drawings here - feel free to modify and/or use it for your personal projects

some pictures:

Attachments

• 280-120-fanadapter-V0.2.zip
    31.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Fitchew

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 2, 2019
Is it metal inserts in your TR fan? Can you please show me it in close? How did you do that?

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Is it metal inserts in your TR fan? Can you please show me it in close? How did you do that?

well observed! I always disliked the idea of ruining my fans with those self-tapping screws, so I came up with that idea:

you need:
  • PEM BSO-M3 or BSOS-M3 inserts, length depending on your fan thickness
  • some nice looking flat head M3 screws of your choice

first, inserts the PEMs - they'll slide in smoothly

second, get the fan in position

third, fix the screws

keeps the fan as good as new and those screws look way better than normal fan screws :p

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
well observed! I always disliked the idea of ruining my fans with those self-tapping screws, so I came up with that idea:

you need:
  • PEM BSO-M3 or BSOS-M3 inserts, length depending on your fan thickness
  • some nice looking flat head M3 screws of your choice

first, inserts the PEMs - they'll slide in smoothly

second, get the fan in position

third, fix the screws

keeps the fan as good as new and those screws look way better than normal fan screws :p
Do the M3 screws need to be similar lengths as the insert?

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Do the M3 screws need to be similar lengths as the insert?

No need. It depends on the thickness of fans and the panel - and of course which length of inserts you are able to find. I'd choose the screws so that they would go 4 to 6mm into the inserts, that's enough.

Let's say you have a 20mm fan, got 18mm long inserts and want to fix the fan to a 1mm thick panel, I would choose a screw with >7mm length.

Last edited:

SoSquidTaste

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 26, 2018

Holy moly. I thought I was an initiate in the Church of Noctua, but the elegance of your solution here makes me want to a) keep my 280 GTS and b) source some damn XT140s hahahah

Thank you very much for the awesome share

Reactions: REVOCCASES

youngdocument

Trash Compacter
Nov 15, 2018
Just ordered one of these from sendcutsend. Thank you so much for the design file, it’s exactly what I need to get 120mm fans on my 280mm rad. Life saver! Will definitely link back here and give credit when I post my build.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Just ordered one of these from sendcutsend. Thank you so much for the design file, it’s exactly what I need to get 120mm fans on my 280mm rad. Life saver! Will definitely link back here and give credit when I post my build.

Glad I could help.

Let me know how/if it works well for your build or if the design needs to be changed somehow.

Reactions: youngdocument