Log Sliger SM550 - Compact & Quiet Gaming HTPC

Megaman0025

Caliper Novice
Jul 3, 2019
Sure, check this link (from my build log)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fitting MSI GTX 1080ti Gaming X in SM550 (15th December 2019)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I analysed dimensions (& pictures) of TUF RTX 3080. Unfortunately I don't think it can fit an SM550.
Right now only XC3 from EVGA is compatible with SM550
I’m going to MAKE it fit haha. I think I can get it in if I cut a small piece of the front panel (right behind the hard drive bracket). Will allow me to get it in, and then can still put the HDD bracket it back on. Basically making a hole that extends into the front chamber to have room to install the GPU.

Reactions: MarcParis

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
I’m going to MAKE it fit haha. I think I can get it in if I cut a small piece of the front panel (right behind the hard drive bracket). Will allow me to get it in, and then can still put the HDD bracket it back on. Basically making a hole that extends into the front chamber to have room to install the GPU.
I understand. Please share your mod if successful..:)

Megaman0025

Caliper Novice
Jul 3, 2019
I will post pictures, but I was completely successful getting a 3080 TUF to fit in this case! Very excited about this. No problems with noise at all. Fits so perfect it’s as if this case was made for it. I had to remove the PCIE bracket first. Then install the card after I modded a corner of the shroud ever so slightly. Popped it in place and then popped the PCIE bracket up into the card before screwing it back into place. It works, and works well, but this is the limit here for sure.

stay tuned for pictures

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
I will post pictures, but I was completely successful getting a 3080 TUF to fit in this case! Very excited about this. No problems with noise at all. Fits so perfect it’s as if this case was made for it. I had to remove the PCIE bracket first. Then install the card after I modded a corner of the shroud ever so slightly. Popped it in place and then popped the PCIE bracket up into the card before screwing it back into place. It works, and works well, but this is the limit here for sure.

stay tuned for pictures
thanks for your feedback. Very similar process as @Tuscany to fit 6800XT reference card in SM550..:)

Good news that TUF RTX 3080 is fitting SM550!

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Finally I decide to create a new setup using components from both my SM550 & Cerberus-X, in order to build a CL530.
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/sliger-cl530-tame-rtx-3090-fe-build-log.16125/

Reactions: TheHig

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
I watched this week this following video :

Noctua has just released a fan duct NA-FD1 for their NH-L9x series cpu cooler.
This fan duct is compatible with 25mm fan by contacting Noctua support (support@noctua.at) in order to receive stand-offs NA-FDBE1.

This release is really well timed as I start missing my SM550, especially as I'm running my GTX 1080 ti inside SM620 leading to some bulky & space inefficient case (made for RTX 3090..:))

Stay tuned..;)

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I watched this week this following video :

Noctua has just released a fan duct NA-FD1 for their NH-L9x series cpu cooler.
This fan duct is compatible with 25mm fan by contacting Noctua support (support@noctua.at) in order to receive stand-offs NA-FDBE1.

This release is really well timed as I start missing my SM550, especially as I'm running my GTX 1080 ti inside SM620 leading to some bulky & space inefficient case (made for RTX 3090..:))

Stay tuned..;)
Where did you find out about the NA-FDBE1? Did you contact them and ask? I can't find any mention of it anywhere else. Also, is it just a longer version of the same mounting screw, i.e. threaded for screwing into the L9x? I would love to see them make a version that threads into standard fan frames, so that this could be used on other coolers as well (like the L9x65). Not to mention 120mm and 140mm versions, of course.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Where did you find out about the NA-FDBE1? Did you contact them and ask? I can't find any mention of it anywhere else. Also, is it just a longer version of the same mounting screw, i.e. threaded for screwing into the L9x? I would love to see them make a version that threads into standard fan frames, so that this could be used on other coolers as well (like the L9x65). Not to mention 120mm and 140mm versions, of course.
Check my comment in Noctua youtube video.
That's where Noctua answered me about those revised standoffs.
Personnally I ordered both NA-FD1 & NA-FDBE1 (already shipped, Noctua aftermarket team is reactive)

You are right 120 & 140 fan ducts will be great addition too! (for NH-L12 or C14S)

Reactions: Valantar

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
This fan duct is pretty polyvalent, as NH-L9x coolers. They can become a no brainer choice for itx build, at least, for processor without any overclocking (or very power hungry).

I'm very tempted to try nh-l9a with R7 5800X inside my SM550+

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
This fan duct is pretty polyvalent, as NH-L9x coolers. They can become a no brainer choice for itx build, at least, for processor without any overclocking (or very power hungry).

I'm very tempted to try nh-l9a with R7 5800X inside my SM550+
That would be interesting! Especially as the 5800X is notoriously hot-running, it would be very interesting to see how well an L9a can handle it with this duct.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
That would be interesting! Especially as the 5800X is notoriously hot-running, it would be very interesting to see how well an L9a can handle it with this duct.
Yes I want to test nh-l9a especially with 25mm thick fan. I'm starting to move away from slim 15mm fans are they tends to be too noisy for my taste.

Tuscany

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 26, 2020
@MarcParis - you are a creative man. Is there any physical way to fit TX240 in SM550 with some fans, without putting higher feet?
I was thinking about putting 15mm fan below the PSU and then 6 (3x2) 10x40mm on the two sides of the motherboard. Any other creative idea? :D

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
@MarcParis - you are a creative man. Is there any physical way to fit TX240 in SM550 with some fans, without putting higher feet?
I was thinking about putting 15mm fan below the PSU and then 6 (3x2) 10x40mm on the two sides of the motherboard. Any other creative idea? :D
thanks and no problem.

Your question is good..:) In fact height limitation is done by case frame itself.

I would assume you have around 28mm in height (not sure you have 30mm). After it depends what you are planning to do with it..:)
Well, back to some previous post, I measured somehow height between bottom of the SM550 and motherboard tray : 28mm approx.
Basically I was unable to fit one 25mm thick fan + fan grid below motherboard tray

To be checked, you could potentially put TX240 inside case and rely on external slim fan for cooling.