Production Sliger SM550/560/570/580 (2 and 3 slot riser layouts, with air and liquid cooling variants)

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
From what I can tell there seems to be less interest in the 570 than the original and new 580 - I think to better offer unique and occupy the more enthusiast end of the SFF case market the 570 should offer triple slot GPU and 280mm AIO's and 140mm fans and the 580 should add additional 280mm radiator support. The original 580 design was 1 litre bigger than the 570 through additional width that no one would argue was worth adding.

These cases would fill gaps in the market - I think the current 570 doesn't offer enough over the M1 other than a more streamlined airflow design.

thewave1408

Caliper Novice
Apr 4, 2019
From what I can tell there seems to be less interest in the 570 than the original and new 580 - I think to better offer unique and occupy the more enthusiast end of the SFF case market the 570 should offer triple slot GPU and 280mm AIO's and 140mm fans and the 580 should add additional 280mm radiator support. The original 580 design was 1 litre bigger than the 570 through additional width that no one would argue was worth adding.

These cases would fill gaps in the market - I think the current 570 doesn't offer enough over the M1 other than a more streamlined airflow design.

I’m a fan of this strategy as well.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
For everyone interested in the old 580 - what are the advantages of the old 580 design over the NCase M1? I think that's the real conundrum that @KSliger is trying to figure out. If I wanted a single 3-slot GPU and an AIO, I could have done that years ago in an NCase M1. The only difference is a 280mm radiator vs a 240mm radiator. Is it the window? Does the extra thermal headroom of a 280mm AIO really matter that much? I'm not being dismissive or presumptuous, I'm actually really curious and I'm sure Sliger is too.

For me personally, I think the new 580 will be awesome. But I could also see that maybe the 2-slot 570 version isn't actually all that relevant, and maybe the old 580 should become the 570.

Reactions: Sahaj

raulnorry

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 17, 2018
I think the biggest advantage of the Sliger cases is the directed airflow. The NCase can support all of the hardware, sure. But it's not nearly as well aligned and I know for a fact that my NCase had several spots in the case that hot air would collect, degrading cooling performance overall.

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Exactly, having high static pressure bottom fans and a top radiator will provide excellent cooling over the M1 - double windows are a nice bonus too. Also the 580 supports 140mm fans for better airflow at lower noise.

I thoroughly prefer the 580 layout to the M1.

DaveMan20

Caliper Novice
May 12, 2018
@ermac318
For me the big difference is the ability to have a AIO and a window as well as having improved airflow with top to bottom fans. The M1 is not an option for those interested in having and AIO and showing off their internals.

If the old 580 was to become the 570 that would solve my issue :D

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
Also the 580 supports 140mm fans for better airflow at lower noise.

Just a side note, I believe the NF-A12x25 actually performs better at lower noise than the current A14 does. Noctua needs to update their 140mm to improve it.

Reactions: rjeftw

raulnorry

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 17, 2018
Unfortunately real life snuck up on me and I won't be able to write as detailed as a post as I'd like to. The gist of the benchmarking is:

- The Big Shuriken 3 is by far the best passive cooler for this case. Utilizing Prime95 Small FFTs, the BS3 reached a maximum temperature of 92C on my 2400G after 10 minutes, which is just below the throttle point. The Cryorig C7 Cu reached 97C within 2 minutes of the stress test, while the Phanteks reached 94C after 4 minutes. All of these coolers were tested with the Noctua NF-A12x25 fans locked at 60% PWM (Roughly 1300 RPM).

- For the fans, the Noctua NF-A12x25 definitely have the best balance of noise and performance. If you aren't worried about noise, the Corsair Maglev fans had much higher top RPMs (2800 IIRC) and the most cooling performance, but they were LOUD. The Corsair P120 were suprisingly poor performers and noisy no matter how low the RPMs were. The Noctua Chromax fans performed decently well, but were definitely outperformed by the NF-A12x25.

So my current config has the bottom fans locked at 60% PWM which is pretty much silent, and the GPU fans on the Powercolor Red Dragon RX 580 locked at 55%. The CPU idles around 45-50C depending on environment temperature fluctuations, and the GPU idles 40-45C. Using Metro Last Light Redux benchmark to place realistic long-duration strain on the system, the CPU and GPU both stabilized in the mid 70s after 30 minutes of continued use.

Personally, I'm extremely happy with this, as these temperatures are equivalent to what I had in my NCase but the noise is significantly lower. I wish I was able to produce the more detailed graphs and tables I'd hoped to, but hopefully this information can still help someone.

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
I would try to find the lowest voltage your cpu will run @raulnorry because I am running my 2700x at 4.0 with 1.21250. Still a bit high but it does not pass 70c in Metro Exodus. Granted I do run my Arctic fans at 100% during gaming because, no choice really with a 2080 Ti. My 560 case should arrive on Wed so gonna put the shroud and fans back on and see how it does that way.
I always mention Metro Exodas because it destroys my gpu more than any other game. I dont know if its because it uses the entire card, complete with rtx cores or not, but it does.

Reactions: raulnorry

raulnorry

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 17, 2018
I would try to find the lowest voltage your cpu will run @raulnorry because I am running my 2700x at 4.0 with 1.21250. Still a bit high but it does not pass 70c in Metro Exodus. Granted I do run my Arctic fans at 100% during gaming because, no choice really with a 2080 Ti. My 560 case should arrive on Wed so gonna put the shroud and fans back on and see how it does that way.
I always mention Metro Exodas because it destroys my gpu more than any other game. I dont know if its because it uses the entire card, complete with rtx cores or not, but it does.

Undervolting both the CPU and GPU is something that I want to attempt once I have a modicum of free time again, the RX 580s come pretty overvolted as well out of the box.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
@KSliger
Really sad to see the 580 changed. I was super excited for a case for the new wider GPUs and an AIO CPU. I just don't agree that many people who were after the 580 will be fine with the 570. A lot of us have/are intending to have wider GPUs.
Also, there are a few cases now that support 2 slot GPU with 240 rad. I was excited for 280 rad with 3 slot as this hasn't been done before.

I'm also pretty disappointed with the 580 changes. I'd feel better about it if the 570 became a 3 slot 240mm or 280mm rad option. 2 slot cards are becoming rarer in high end gpus with 2.5 slots becoming the norm.

570 original dimensions
Support 240 aio and 2.5 /2.75 GPU
I would order in a moment

I made a model rev of SM580 with the changes for 2x 280mm this weekend at it's just too big. Almost same size as Cerberus. Don't like it for both cost and usability reasons - very hard to install bottom rad.

Going to take a lot more thought/work for the 2x 280mm version. Likely will not be a riser layout but maybe support for it as an option.

SM580 will be prototyped as is, likely production as-is as well. Will have SM570 ready at same time.

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
I made a model rev of SM580 with the changes for 2x 280mm this weekend at it's just too big. Almost same size as Cerberus. Don't like it for both cost and usability reasons - very hard to install bottom rad.

Would it be possible to see the mocked up 2x280 580 along side the cerberus? I'm mostly just curious how big it ended up being to accommodate everything.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Would it be possible to see the mocked up 2x280 580 along side the cerberus? I'm mostly just curious how big it ended up being to accommodate everything.

It's a mess of a model, nothing to really show.

Dimensions came out to 357mm x 160mm x 334mm. (had to add 45mm to height to be able to slid in a radiator from side at an angle)

Cerberus is 319mm x 172mm x 358mm

Think it would be better to make a version of Cerberus that would have an ITX board mounted in the middle for 280 on top and bottom, PSU in front.

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
With the semi-passive nature of the 550 and to a lesser extent, the 560, I am interested to see the cpu temps. Even with a nice radiator, all the excess heat from the gfx card is going to be going right through that top radiator. I know most all cases have rads on top, but usually that is not the exclusive way for air to escape. With the bottom to top closed sides, I would think that would kill the cpu temps and basically make them what ever the gpu temps is.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
Think it would be better to make a version of Cerberus that would have an ITX board mounted in the middle for 280 on top and bottom, PSU in front.

I would be interested in that too! Sounds like a good compromise, and doesn't require reinventing a whole new chassis for that use case. Shifting the motherboard down would be great - could you do the same with a MicroATX board in the Cerberus X to achieve a similar result? Really I just wish I could fit a rad in the roof of the Cerberus, then I wouldn't have to go with something like the Meshify C or Meshify C Mini to do the same thing.

Regarding the switch back to the original SM580 design - there was lots of discussion about fitting a 120mm rad in the bottom under the graphics card. Will you be still trying to address this need so folks can go 280 + 120 or 240 + 120?

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
I would be interested in that too! Sounds like a good compromise, and doesn't require reinventing a whole new chassis for that use case. Shifting the motherboard down would be great - could you do the same with a MicroATX board in the Cerberus X to achieve a similar result? Really I just wish I could fit a rad in the roof of the Cerberus, then I wouldn't have to go with something like the Meshify C or Meshify C Mini to do the same thing.

Regarding the switch back to the original SM580 design - there was lots of discussion about fitting a 120mm rad in the bottom under the graphics card. Will you be still trying to address this need so folks can go 280 + 120 or 240 + 120?

If I change it for that setup I might as well change it for the full 280mm in bottom. Requires almost all the same changes and height is only ~10mm more.