Production Sliger SM550/560/570/580 (2 and 3 slot riser layouts, with air and liquid cooling variants)

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015

SM560 will be arriving tonight... Let the benchmarking begin!

At the top is the hardware I currently have. AMD R5 2400G cooled by a Cryorig Cu C7 + Noctua NF-A9x14, and a EVGA GTX 970 SC+ GPU.

Below those are the heatsinks I'll be using for passive testing. From left to right we have: the Raijintek Morpheus, the Scythe Big Shruiken 3, the Phanteks PH-TC12LS, and the Raijintek Pallas 120.

And on the bottom row is the four twin sets of fans I'll be using. From left to right, we have: Noctua Chromax NF-F12, Noctua NF-A12x25, Corsair ML120, and Corsair SP120.

For initial testing of all heatsinks I'm going to be using the Noctua NF-A12x25 fans at the bottom, and I'll be using Arctic MX-4 thermal paste for the GPU and CPU. Once I've found the best CPU cooler, I'm going to be exchanging out the fans to see how each fan set performs.

I'm going to be writing this all up to be posted here, in its own topic on this forum, and over at reddit as well, probably in /r/SFFPC and /r/buildapc.

If you have any questions or comments please let me know. I'll be kicking this build off tonight once my kids go to sleep!

Holy moly this is awesome, thank you for doing this. When you do a results post I'll link it on the case page and cite you.

Reactions: Sahaj and Sashby

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
NICE! @raulnorry Mine wont arrive until next Wednesday, which i'm not thrilled about, but it is what it is. I will be surprised if any of them can touch the BS 3. Only thing I can really says is, I would switch from MX-4 after you find your best combo. I used to use it always but moving to Gelid and Kyronaut made a noticeable difference in lower temps.
I have not done too much research on the Morpheus cooler but I know it works well as an exhaust in some of the other sff cases.
Good luck and be sure to please link your findings here as well please.

thewave1408

Caliper Novice
Apr 4, 2019
Reading the proposed changes to the 580, here’s what I’m concerned about:

My goal (as with a good deal of the market) is to effectively cool high end hardware in a compact package. My wish list when finding this line of cases was two things: support for AIO cooling of the CPU, and support for 3 slot GPUs.

I’m worried that with the proposed changes to the 580 it will no longer be the ideal choice for what I’m looking for

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018

My goal (as with a good deal of the market) is to effectively cool high end hardware in a compact package. My wish list when finding this line of cases was two things: support for AIO cooling of the CPU, and support for 3 slot GPUs.

I’m worried that with the proposed changes to the 580 it will no longer be the ideal choice for what I’m looking for
The 570 should still meet those requirements - except for triple slot GPU's.

I suspect the 580 is being updated to offer unparalleled cooling in this kind of package.

What you're describing is sort of hit on in his post regarding the case: the cases proposed are aimed at meeting requirements the M1 can't meet.

Triple slot GPU and 240mm AIO is supported by the M1.

@KSliger do you have any renders of the 580 changes?

How will the case volume change with these changes?
Will you be taking space from the top of the case to allocate to the bottom?

Mostly curious as I'm playing on use the Phoenix 240mm core module and if the top space is reduced then I may need to go with the 570.

Last edited:
Reactions: Talyrius

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019

That is what I am interested in as well. Three slot gpu with relatively simple water cooling on the cpu side. I don't want rads at the bottom on the intake fans only as that'l kill the gpu temps. Maybe it's not possible here.
I do realize the M1 can do these things, I have one.
That being said, I already own a Sliger 550 and 560. LOVE the look of the little things.
May end up with a 570 and 80. Never know about me.
I also realize that I am odd...lol.

Engr62

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 7, 2018
Whoops, meant 70mm. That's what people were discussing in the the thread. (haven't drawn anything yet!)

That's great! But this is going to be on a vertical case? Not one like the SM550 or SM560? That's too bad. I was really hoping for one like the SM560, but instead of 3-slot GPU, using the extra space for a CPU cooler. Well, maybe one day.

thewave1408

Caliper Novice
Apr 4, 2019
That is what I am interested in as well. Three slot gpu with relatively simple water cooling on the cpu side. I don't want rads at the bottom on the intake fans only as that'l kill the gpu temps. Maybe it's not possible here.
I do realize the M1 can do these things, I have one.
That being said, I already own a Sliger 550 and 560. LOVE the look of the little things.
May end up with a 570 and 80. Never know about me.
I also realize that I am odd...lol.

The M1 can technically do this, but it can’t do it well while also offering windowed panels, so I don’t think there is insurmountable overlap in the demographics. I wonder if the 580 should remain around the previous sizing and a dual 280mm rad model could perhaps be the SM590

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
The M1 can technically do this, but it can’t do it well while also offering windowed panels, so I don’t think there is insurmountable overlap in the demographics. I wonder if the 580 should remain around the previous sizing and a dual 280mm rad model could perhaps be the SM590

I just don't think the 2x 280mm case is something that could exist on its own without bringing a large portion of the 1x 280mm + 3-slot GPU builders and other odd matches like 280mm + 120mm GPU type of builds with it. I will most likely rename this new case the SM590, and the future SM580 would be something in between the 570 and 590 if sales ever creates a demand for it.

Trying to avoid cases that are minor size reductions that trade off large negative impacts on thermals. Example would be the SM550/560/570 with no bottom fans to make it slightly smaller, or the SV590 with no 240mm + 120mm support.

Second thing I am trying to avoid is making any case that would be larger in volume than the M1, but also have less potential build configurations or worse cooling.

Example would be the 75mm tall CPU cooler version of the SM560 being 12.8L vs the M1 at 12.6L both at ~$195. The SM570 is already dubious by this rule, hopefully the cooling with 4x fans is better than the M1.

The single 280mm SM580 though really did not make sense to either of these rules, particularly with how many people REALLY want the 2x 280mm and there is nothing available do a build like that.

I honestly think anything that was meant for only the old SM580 will be fine in the SM570, SV590, new SM580 aka SM590, or an M1 or Ghost.

raulnorry

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 17, 2018
Well, I hereby bid farewell to my GTX 970. Somewhere along the line of installing the morpheus and doing testing with Furmark, I killed the GPU. The EVGA model I had was very far from a reference card, and many of the heatsinks weren't as compatible as I would have hoped, and since it's an older Gen card it didn't have sensors for VRM or memory temps. I have a feeling it was probably the VRM that blew since the computer won't power on at all if the GPU PCIe power plugs are connected.

It was doing great though, barely breaking 80C even after 10+ minutes T_T

Reactions: wsgroves

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
I just don't think the 2x 280mm case is something that could exist on its own without bringing a large portion of the 1x 280mm + 3-slot GPU builders and other odd matches like 280mm + 120mm GPU type of builds with it. I will most likely rename this new case the SM590, and the future SM580 would be something in between the 570 and 590 if sales ever creates a demand for it.

Trying to avoid cases that are minor size reductions that trade off large negative impacts on thermals. Example would be the SM550/560/570 with no bottom fans to make it slightly smaller, or the SV590 with no 240mm + 120mm support.

Second thing I am trying to avoid is making any case that would be larger in volume than the M1, but also have less potential build configurations or worse cooling.

Example would be the 75mm tall CPU cooler version of the SM560 being 12.8L vs the M1 at 12.6L both at ~$195. The SM570 is already dubious by this rule, hopefully the cooling with 4x fans is better than the M1.

The single 280mm SM580 though really did not make sense to either of these rules, particularly with how many people REALLY want the 2x 280mm and there is nothing available do a build like that.

I honestly think anything that was meant for only the old SM580 will be fine in the SM570, SV590, new SM580 aka SM590, or an M1 or Ghost.
I for one am very excited by the prospect of this 2 x 280mm solution - although am curious to know volume/dimensions and whether it will still support any of the EK Phoenix radiator cores?

Reactions: Nanook and FAQBytes

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Well, I hereby bid farewell to my GTX 970. Somewhere along the line of installing the morpheus and doing testing with Furmark, I killed the GPU. The EVGA model I had was very far from a reference card, and many of the heatsinks weren't as compatible as I would have hoped, and since it's an older Gen card it didn't have sensors for VRM or memory temps. I have a feeling it was probably the VRM that blew since the computer won't power on at all if the GPU PCIe power plugs are connected.

It was doing great though, barely breaking 80C even after 10+ minutes T_T

RIP faithful GTX 970 :( I hope it served you well. I also hope you have the budget for a suitable replacement....
My EVGA GTX970 blower (bought used), is running fine, and fingers crossed it will keep going until I am ready to jump to something newer.

thewave1408

Caliper Novice
Apr 4, 2019

I appreciate all the thought you’re putting into this. The goal with my build is to fit a high TDP cpu with my 2080ti FTW3. I love the design of the cases and given the GPU I have, my options were either the 560 or the 580. Since I also wanted an AIO for the CPU, that left me with just one option, the 580.

After reading your thread on reddit i understand your decision to increase the size of the 580. There are a group of folks interested in ITX watercooling that are excited because there really isn’t an option on the market right now to put 2x 280mm radiators in a case.

For me personally, however, the case that really was my only choice is now getting a not insignificant size increase.

Another thought is potentially a poll to see how interested folks truly are in the 570, because as you say it is tenuous as it is. Perhaps the old 580 that accommodates 3-slot GPUs could become the 570 and the new 580 could be the designated case for custom watercooling

raulnorry

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 17, 2018
RIP faithful GTX 970 :( I hope it served you well. I also hope you have the budget for a suitable replacement....
My EVGA GTX970 blower (bought used), is running fine, and fingers crossed it will keep going until I am ready to jump to something newer.

Well it was definitely the VRM that went. i put the stock cooler back on it and swapped to the backup BIOS, the card is definitely dead. Sad face...I'll still be able to get the cpu cooler numbers though, and a friend is selling me their 580 Red Dragon for $125.

Also, the Pallas 120 definitely is not compatible. It overhangs the PSU or I/O panel depending on orientation. I even tried mounting the PSU sideways with double sided 3M tape, but the heatsink obstructed the modular cable plug-ins. Even if that weren't the case, the heatsink is just slightly too tall and does not allow the panel to fully close by about 1-2mm.

Last edited:
Reactions: rjeftw and Sahaj

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
Really sorry to hear about the card. What exactly happened to the vrm? Did something on the Morpheus mess them up? Usually they don't just poof like that, even with bad cooling.
Hell I ran 980 SLI for way too long with the nzxt aio bracket with 0 extra vrm cooling.

DaveMan20

Caliper Novice
May 12, 2018
@KSliger
Really sad to see the 580 changed. I was super excited for a case for the new wider GPUs and an AIO CPU. I just don't agree that many people who were after the 580 will be fine with the 570. A lot of us have/are intending to have wider GPUs.
Also, there are a few cases now that support 2 slot GPU with 240 rad. I was excited for 280 rad with 3 slot as this hasn't been done before.

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
@DaveMan20 One of the things going forward, 2+ slot gpu's are way more common now with the cooling requirements of recent high end gpu's. I don't really see that changing any time soon.

tuanster1119

Caliper Novice
Mar 14, 2019
@KSliger
Really sad to see the 580 changed. I was super excited for a case for the new wider GPUs and an AIO CPU. I just don't agree that many people who were after the 580 will be fine with the 570. A lot of us have/are intending to have wider GPUs.
Also, there are a few cases now that support 2 slot GPU with 240 rad. I was excited for 280 rad with 3 slot as this hasn't been done before.

I'm also pretty disappointed with the 580 changes. I'd feel better about it if the 570 became a 3 slot 240mm or 280mm rad option. 2 slot cards are becoming rarer in high end gpus with 2.5 slots becoming the norm.

Reactions: thewave1408