Sleeving & Crimping Thread

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
If the connector has 3 prongs, the ground pin should be connected to a metal part of your case. If the PSU has a ground connection as well, connect it to that.

Yeah, that's the connector I'm thinking of. IIRC on my 160W AC-DC HDPLEX it's a green wire.

To find that out, you can just search for the model number on molex website. Your particular ones refer to the housing and the crimp terminal. From what it looks like, a normal crimping tool should work, but the terminals seems rather large.

Hope that helps a little.

Sorry, I didn't realize it was that simple! That you pointed to them specifically helps a lot. :)

hat1324

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 28, 2015
Bit of a necro, but I have to ask. Does anyone using the Lutro0 crimper have problems with it pinching the left side of the terminal? Mine consistently pinches and sometimes even breaks the wing off.

Reactions: Biowarejak

royalba94

Airflow Optimizer
AVAENTUM SLEEVING
Apr 2, 2017
Avaentum.com
Bit of a necro, but I have to ask. Does anyone using the Lutro0 crimper have problems with it pinching the left side of the terminal? Mine consistently pinches and sometimes even breaks the wing off.

The crimpers I have (bought from Mod-One) have essentially the same issue but I work around it by not closing the crimpers all the way to the point where they realease themselves (if that makes sense).

Another thing I've done is loosening up the bottom "jaw" and shifting it a tiny bit away from the handles which helped a bit but I had to keep re-setting it so I stopped bothering lol.

Hope that helps!

Edit: autocorrect...

Last edited:

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
The crimpers I have (bought from Mod-One) have essentially the same issue but I work around it by not closing the crimpers all the way to the point where they realease themselves (if that makes sense).
I can only imagine having to flick the little lever inside the handle to release mine, instead of just crimping all the way. *Shudders*

royalba94

Airflow Optimizer
AVAENTUM SLEEVING
Apr 2, 2017
Avaentum.com
I can only imagine having to flick the little lever inside the handle to release mine, instead of just crimping all the way. *Shudders*

Lol, I'm pretty used to it by now :)

On the upside I think my wrists are grateful because past the last click on my crimpers it gets exponentially harder to squeeze. Which should probably be expected, but the force that mine need to actually do the auto-release is pretty crazy and it doesn't always work the first time either.

I might pick up a new pair relatively soon now that I've listed out my current pair's flaws lol. Might spring for MDPC's new CTX3 crimpers, but we'll see :)

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Lol, I'm pretty used to it by now :)

On the upside I think my wrists are grateful because past the last click on my crimpers it gets exponentially harder to squeeze. Which should probably be expected, but the force that mine need to actually do the auto-release is pretty crazy and it doesn't always work the first time either.

I might pick up a new pair relatively soon now that I've listed out my current pair's flaws lol. Might spring for MDPC's new CTX3 crimpers, but we'll see :)
Haha I understand :) thankfully my cheapo pair hasn't had many issues like that.

Reactions: royalba94

hat1324

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 28, 2015
Fixed my problem with the MFC crimper by loosening the screw on the bottom teeth and very slightly adjusting it to the left. (Like literally less than a milimeter). Also ended up tightening the release to maximum pressure because I think pushing the crimper all the way is causing it to misalign. I now use the lever for releasing the ratchet.

I will add that the MFC crimper seems to put asymmetrical pressure on the crimps. Sometimes my crimps are a little crooked. Oh well

EDIT: Forgot to thank you royal, that was exactly my problem :p

Last edited:

royalba94

Airflow Optimizer
AVAENTUM SLEEVING
Apr 2, 2017
Avaentum.com
The crimpers I have (bought from Mod-One) have essentially the same issue but I work around it by not closing the crimpers all the way to the point where they release themselves (if that makes sense).

Another thing I've done is loosening up the bottom "jaw" and shifting it a tiny bit away from the handles which helped a bit but I had to keep re-setting it so I stopped bothering lol.

Hope that helps!

The MDPC crimpers are pretty expensive, but do they work well?

Haven't tried the new ones (CTX3) yet but I left my thoughts on my MDPC pair I have (bought from here) above.

royalba94

Airflow Optimizer
AVAENTUM SLEEVING
Apr 2, 2017
Avaentum.com
On a bit of a different note, does anyone have any recommendations for crimpers for CAT/RJ45 wires?

I used this 10g termination kit when we ran a few Cat6A runs from our server to the detailers room at my old work. Everything worked perfectly so I wouldn't mind recommending Platinum Tools (even though they seem to be a bit on the expensive side from my quick look around tonight).

I'm not sure if it was the same brand that I used for the regular RJ45 jack terminations I did but can't really check as I don't work there anymore and didn't order it personally. The tools I used were very similar to these but a slightly different cut/strip tool and I'm pretty sure it all came in a pack with some connectors as well. I'll edit the link in if I end up figuring it out. they all worked nicely tho :)

Reactions: Phuncz and cmyk78

cmyk78

Master of Cramming
Jun 7, 2016
Thanks!
I don't think I'll get the Platinum ones, considering they cost more than the cable I'm getting. :p The second pair is what I found on Amazon and was planning to get.

ThatRacingGuy

Average Stuffer
Aug 22, 2017
I'm back and forth between UK ansAustria so ordered the Weidmüller Stripax from Amazon.de.
Reading through this thread, was there any conclusion on good crimps? The official Molex?
Does anyone have a EU supplier link or a part number?

Also best UK place for the plastic plugs and pins?

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
I must be and old skool... I do not find individually sleeved cables sexy nor neat.. It's... it's bulky. Yes it can be clean with proper cable hiding, but at that point why bother?

I'd rather sleeve whole 24 pin cables in one, heatshrink near the end, and paint the rest of the cable entering the port, all in one color.

Am I really outdated??

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Not really, it's preference. I single wire bundle is much less volume but it's also very rigid and inflexible often times.

Reactions: royalba94

ThatRacingGuy

Average Stuffer
Aug 22, 2017
So I've got all my tools, and now just waiting on some terminals (the supplier sent male instead of female pins)
I've done some wiring before but never on pins like this or in a PC.
Can anyone link any good guides? Specifically how to get a nice heat shrink end and sleeve.
Thanks