Sleeving & Crimping Thread

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Yeah, I have one of the Lutro0 crimpers which I believe are real similar to the MDPC ones but I haven't been that happy with it. The crimps it produces are inconsistent, even with actual Molex terminals, plus it's finicky to get everything lined up.

I'm looking forward to working with the real deal.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Yeah, I have one of the Lutro0 crimpers which I believe are real similar to the MDPC ones but I haven't been that happy with it. The crimps it produces are inconsistent, even with actual Molex terminals, plus it's finicky to get everything lined up.

I'm looking forward to working with the real deal.
I'd like a full review on that please. Don't spare the details either !

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
I'd love to know as well. I was contemplating getting one since I was going to buy sleeving supplies there anyways.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I was only being semi-sincere, but I'd like to know why it would be better than the lutr0 crimper or the MDPC crimper. Since it also costs a lot more the last time I checked.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Maybe not a FULL review, but a general overview of why it's better/ where the MDPC and Lutr0 crimpers are deficient would be appreciated.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I was only being semi-sincere, but I'd like to know why it would be better than the lutr0 crimper or the MDPC crimper. Since it also costs a lot more the last time I checked.

Maybe not a FULL review, but a general overview of why it's better/ where the MDPC and Lutr0 crimpers are deficient would be appreciated.

Both MDPC and Lutro0 talk up how they carefully modify the tools to produce perfect crimps but I've never found that to be the case with my Lutro0 crimper.

It sometimes damages the terminals, or overbites, or underbites, and the lip of the die insert bends the terminal if I don't line it up carefully. I guess I may just have a bad one, but it came with a few test crimps so I don't know. The Molex crimper has a push-button locator attached to make sure the terminal is correctly lined up. Unfortunately I got the crimper today but that locator was broken :(

Luckily it looks like I'll be able to get a partial credit so I can get a replacement locator assembly myself.

hat1324

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 28, 2015
For Molex parts, this 4-pin: http://www.molex.com/molex/products/datasheet.jsp?part=active/0039013048_CRIMP_HOUSINGS.xml

Combined with the Mini-Fit Plus HCS gold-plated 16 AWG terminal: http://www.molex.com/molex/products/datasheet.jsp?part=active/0457503212_CRIMP_TERMINALS.xml

Would be about as good as it gets. With 16 gauge wire that combination is rated for 13A per circuit.

The Mini-Fit Plus terminals are compatible with the normal Mini-Fit Jr housings, but they're meant to mate with either other Mini-Fit Plus terminals or solid pin soldered connectors. PSUs use the solid pins though so you'd be set there. Then all that's left is having a good crimper that gives a solid crimp.

I bought an actual Molex crimper, I should be getting it tomorrow. If you're in the USA you can borrow after I'm done redoing the harness for my STX build for the price of shipping.

The MDPC crimper has served me very well. I don't think its ever given me a bad crimp but I soldered them on afterwards just to be sure.

However I am using 18 gauge wire. Got to hand it to Larry though... this PSU is tough. I've bent it, scraped it, burnt the DC power connector brown, reversed the VCC and GND by accident, and pushed 350W continuous into it for hours and it never complains about anything. Next time the socket melts though... I won't be able to remove it because of the epoxy setting the current socket

Last edited:

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
The MDPC crimper has served me very well. I don't think its ever given me a bad crimp but I soldered them on afterwards just to be sure.

However I am using 18 gauge wire. Got to hand it to Larry though... this PSU is tough. I've bent it, scraped it, burnt the DC power connector brown, reversed the VCC and GND by accident, and pushed 350W continuous into it for hours and it never complains about anything. Next time the socket melts though... I won't be able to remove it because of the epoxy setting the current socket
Just a thought, I've done something similar in my build. Why not solder the cable directly to the PCB?

Reactions: Josh | NFC

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Protip: don't bother with the Molex crimpers unless you can reliably strip the wire at exactly 3mm in length. It has a wire stop so the bare wire is perfectly positioned for a good crimp, but it relies on having the correct length of wire stripped to work.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Knipex MultiStrip 10 (12 42 195) - Amazon
Knipex Self-adjusting Insulation Stripper (12 40 200) - Amazon

German Quality !

(I'm splitting the topic here and move it to Sleeving & Crimping Thread, too many wire stripping diluting this finely crafted case thread)

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Ah cool, the Weidmüller Stripax has a selector to do just partial strips:

I have the Knipex 12 62 180 but one thing that annoys me is that it just flings the stripped insulation wherever, making a mess. Plus the wire stop only goes down to 6mm, so the Stripax looks to be perfect, my only question is how well it handles silicone.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
56€ from amazon.de, so that's doable for the European region if one would get good use out of one. I already have an insulation stripper (old school) and I'm not going to be stripping a lot of wires anyway, so for me it would be overkill. But it does seem like a handy tool if you're planning on modding more than a few PSUs.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Hi there,

Is there any European store from which you can buy 18AWG cable, Molex crimps and power conenctors all at once ?

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Thanks. Seems there is not so much "one-stop" shops apart from moddiy.com but I'd rather avoid them...

I've got this Voltman automatic striper, which works pretty well for my electricity needs.
I have not used it yet to strip 18AWG wires. Wire stop minimum is 5 mm. Is it still too much ? I understood you need to strip 3 mm of wire insulation.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
There might be a scientific amount to chop off, 3mm seems right, but I find crimping and sleeving to be a skill that is based on experience.

I do like this image though:

A key tip is to look at the copper on the right side of the conductor crimp. Notice how NONE of it goes into the mating section.

The little bit of insulator on the right side of the insulator crimp is key as well, if you don't have any there redo your crimp.

Finally, the crimping tools are not DITIGAL in that you dont just clamp down on them and expect it to be precise. They are analog and require experience to know just how far you need to go down and it changes with your wire, wing size, die, and heaven forbid you use anything but MOLEX brand Mini-Fit jr. connectors.

Peace!

Last edited: