Sleeving & Crimping Thread

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
If it is present, then I would go ahead and remove it. I would think it's already omitted though.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
ATX12V specs list it as NC (Not Connected), and do not list a -5V supply rail at all. Leaving it disconnected would be spec compliant.

(note, this is the layout of the plug, so flipped vertically from the socket)

Reactions: Phuncz

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
-5VDC was in initial versions of the specification. Same spot, but a 20 pin connector.
As I mentioned, it supplied ISA slots, which at the time, usually took up a few slots, (a typical board setup at the time would be an AGP, 4 PCI and 3 ISA). It was later deleted because it wasn't needed any more.

If it's actually a populated pin on the PSU, then they are using an out of date specification, but it shouldn't harm anything if removed since it's not connected to anything anymore anyways.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
If it's actually a populated pin on the PSU, then they are using an out of date specification, but it shouldn't harm anything if removed since it's not connected to anything anymore anyways.

I think the reason the HDPLEX has +12V in that location is to get one more wire to connect, so your overall wire cross-section gets bigger. With HDPLEXs H5 case, this is a sensible consideration, as the TDP of GPUs it can cool most often lead to using a bus-powered GPU. Having a bit of headroom on the cabling isn't bad at all. I'm pretty sure that cable is not connected to the NC pin 20 on the mainboard-side connector, but to either pin 10 or pin 11. @hdplex, is that correct?

onlyabloke

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 22, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
As far as tools go, anyone have any they recommend? I'm not talking brands, I'm talking specific tools.

I know I need a crimping and a wirestripper at the very least. Right?

This is a project I'm going to be taking on as well come build time.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Don't forget the molex pin extractor. I know some people love their safety pin kludges, but having the actual proper tool is useful.
You should also get a heat gun for the heatshrink; again, a lighter will do in a pinch, but it's worth it to do it right.

onlyabloke

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 22, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
Don't forget the molex pin extractor. I know some people love their safety pin kludges, but having the actual proper tool is useful.
You should also get a heat gun for the heatshrink; again, a lighter will do in a pinch, but it's worth it to do it right.

Luckily I have a heatgun already (needed it to debadge my old car).

So a crimping tool, wire-stripper, and molex pin extractor.

Amr0d

Efficiency Noob
Jul 10, 2016
How do you guys put to cables into one with sleeve? I tried my best but the cable doesn't click into the connector because it is to thick with the sleeve.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
It can be done by cutting the sleeves of both wires at an angle and joining them like a Y. I can't find a picture though.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Heatshrink the junction and keep the mess wrapped underneath?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
This is really hard to achieve when you want to sleeve them as well :(
You can do the same with the sleeving: cut them at an angle and join them in the same wire-Y, use heatshrink.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Hopefully someone here can verify if indeed HDPlex removed that -5V pin.

I can now verify that at least on the HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX the 24-pin cable is missing that pin. I assume the 250W is the same so there shouldn't be any issues.