Skyreach S4M Ryzen/GTX 1060 brickless

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Meanwell PSU working great! Absolutely no audible coil whine and again rock solid gaming performance. It does get warm but never to hot to be uncomfortable to touch. Next step is installing it in the S4M. The PSU itself is very small compared to the previous Xbox One PSUs and fits very well inside the case in the same location. Plan to make a thick aluminum backplate to mount inside the case to act as PSU mounting and as a heatsink.

BrotherStein

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 11, 2017
Meanwell PSU working great! Absolutely no audible coil whine and again rock solid gaming performance. It does get warm but never to hot to be uncomfortable to touch. Next step is installing it in the S4M. The PSU itself is very small compared to the previous Xbox One PSUs and fits very well inside the case in the same location. Plan to make a thick aluminum backplate to mount inside the case to act as PSU mounting and as a heatsink.

Wow, that looks fantastic! Was wiring it up pretty easy?

Also, what kind of plug type did you wire up?

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Wow, that looks fantastic! Was wiring it up pretty easy?

Also, what kind of plug type did you wire up?

For testing purposes I just wired it up to a sacrificial ac power cord. I plan to fit a 3 prong power socket in. Whether that is a C5 connector or something different I am not sure quite yet. Beyond that it is very simple to wire! All ports are labeled and use screws to clamp down on wires (ring connectors for wires are suggested)

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Nice find but ripple & noise seems a bit out of spec at 240 mVp-p ?
Should be 120 ?

Did you notice any "strange behaviours" with the GPU being fed with +12V even when the system is shut down ?
I had a small load switch designed for that exact purpose : to "sync" both the GPU and systems PSUs.

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Nice find but ripple & noise seems a bit out of spec at 240 mVp-p ?
Should be 120 ?

Did you notice any "strange behaviours" with the GPU being fed with +12V even when the system is shut down ?
I had a small load switch designed for that exact purpose : to "sync" both the GPU and systems PSUs.

Well my current setup has the Pico 160xt powering everything. No separate power leads or PSU headed to the GPU. So to answer your question, so far I have witnessed no odd behavior from the PC. These PSUs were designed to be LED sign power adapters so I am using it in a slightly different role but still functional so far!

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Wow! Looks amazing! What PSU was that again?

There are multiple part numbers for different wattages and voltages. All from Meanwell

UHP-200-12 (12v 200 watt)
UHP-200-24 (24v 200 watt)
UHP-350-12 (12v 350 watt)
UHP-350-24 (24v 350 watt)

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Ok, did not spot the load sharing device in the first post :)

I asked because max ripple on the 12V rail should be 120 mV.
Maybe the PicoPSU is smoothing that 240 mV ripple out, or maybe it's just acting as 12V passthrough ?

Reactions: Mtthwmths

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Ok, did not spot the load sharing device in the first post :)

I asked because max ripple on the 12V rail should be 120 mV.
Maybe the PicoPSU is smoothing that 240 mV ripple out, or maybe it's just acting as 12V passthrough ?

My assumption is that the Pico is cleaning up the output signal before the motherboard/gpu see that 12v.

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Read the post again he's using pico 160 xt which is 12V, different product altogether. The meanwell unit he's trying out is also the 12V model which won't power hdplex 160.

Edit: btw, this is the product link if I'm not mistaken http://www.mini-box.com/picoPSU-160-XT since usually when ppl say pico they meant that.

What really impressive is those pico delivering 25% from their intended rating.

Last edited:

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Whether that is a C5 connector or something different I am not sure quite yet.
I'd love to be wrong about this, but you'll need to be more creative to fit a C5 in there since with those 2 power inlet cutouts, I can't see any straightforward way to mod it cleanly.

This my measurement to fit a C5 in the S4M classic

And after it's done

So you see you'll need to enlarge either one of the cutout in the S4M but one of the screw holes will end up in another's..

Hope I'm wrong since I don't have an S4M.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Been following this again, that's a solid choice for a new PSU I think. It should be less complicated than your two PSU setup. Love seeing systems that are powerful for the wattage they consume.

Reactions: Zackmd1

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Thanks for the comments on the build! Sorry there hasn’t been any updates.... Life (car accident) seems to always get in the way. I am hoping in the next few weeks to get the PSU mounted inside the S4M to test out how the system handles in a more closed off environment. After that will come the finishing touches.

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
The PSU fits like a glove in the S4M. Enough of a friction fit remain secured (for testing). For now I just ran the AC cable through the openings in the rear of the case.

So far no shutdowns with the case sealed! Was able to play Doom max settings for a 2hr session without issue along with Fortnite for 2+hrs. More testing to come!