Skyreach S4M Ryzen/GTX 1060 brickless

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Gorgeous! What did you end up using to mount it ?

Currently it is just a friction fit between the two flanges of the front panel! It was snug enough to hold the PSU in place pretty securely. After testing is complete I plan to make a thick aluminum plate to mouth the PSU to and then mount that plate to the front panel via the power button and at least one other mount point closer to the top.

rosinbole

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 18, 2018
www.instagram.com
The PSU fits like a glove in the S4M. Enough of a friction fit remain secured (for testing). For now I just ran the AC cable through the openings in the rear of the case.

So far no shutdowns with the case sealed! Was able to play Doom max settings for a 2hr session without issue along with Fortnite for 2+hrs. More testing to come!

It looks like there is a fair bit of empty space in the top of the case? Shouldn't that get filled up with something?

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Most likely a length issue. Remember he might do an AC socket on up left, and gpu power also potentially be in the way.

That and the lack of flanges on either side of the top frame.

Correct. I am still unsure of which AC power socket I will use. I would like to just use the C8 connector but am worried about stray current in an metal enclosure with no deticated ground. The PSU is just to long to fit in the top and still have room for the power socket.

In addition I have noticed that most mini itx GPUs more powerful then the 1060 are taller then they are longer compared to the zotac models. So I would rather have more vertical space to accommodate those GPUs if I decide to upgrade in the future.

Thirumal Kumaran

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 22, 2018
I will be closely following this development as I'm nearly in the same scenario... Need to power my 8700 and 1060 in a brick less setup.
I'm still sceptical about leaving the psu ungrounded.

Reactions: rosinbole

eth0lo

Caliper Novice
Aug 17, 2016
@Zackmd1 how much are you pulling from the wall with your setup, I'm asking because there's another thread that had a build similar and was getting around 200w and random shutdowns.

Thanks

Reactions: Mtthwmths

metropath27

Average Stuffer
Apr 22, 2018
the xboxone power brick won’t give enough power for your system you would have to get something better unfortunately unless you savearly underclock and volt both your GPUs and cpu

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
@Zackmd1 how much are you pulling from the wall with your setup, I'm asking because there's another thread that had a build similar and was getting around 200w and random shutdowns.

Thanks

Typical demanding AAA titles like battlefield 1 pull about 180-190watts from the wall with no undervolting to either the CPU or GPU. The highest I have ever seen under full synthetic load was 215 watts.

I have put a decent amount of time on this system now and have had no unexpected shutdowns. Like I said the PSU area does get hot but not so much that it's uncomfortable to touch. The hunt still continues for a decent power socket solution... I would prefer something with a deticated ground but not much larger then a C8 connector.

BrotherStein

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 11, 2017
There are multiple part numbers for different wattages and voltages. All from Meanwell

UHP-200-12 (12v 200 watt)
UHP-200-24 (24v 200 watt)
UHP-350-12 (12v 350 watt)
UHP-350-24 (24v 350 watt)

I'm not sure if this was mentioned, but the 350 watt versions are slightly larger on all dimensions. Most importantly slightly wider, so I don't think it would fit the s4m. I'm planning on picking up a 200 watt for my spare g-unique.

Nevermind:

To be fair, their 300 watt adapter would fit in the S4M as well with just some slight sanding to the exterior housing. I did not go that route with this build due to expense.... $80 for the brick and then $125 for the dynamo combo. If this Meanwell brick works out then this power solution would still be cheaper ( $45 for the brick and 50 for the Pico).

I'm thinking about picking up a 300 watt. @Zackmd1 Did you put the 200 watt in a S4M-C or a Skyreach? I need to see how different those two are. I picked up a S4M-C to build in and want to use that Meanwell.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mtthwmths

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
I'm thinking about picking up a 300 watt. @Zackmd1 Did you put the 200 watt in a S4M-C or a Skyreach? I need to see how different those two are. I picked up a S4M-C to build in and want to use that Meanwell

My build was in a Skyreach S4M. I believe the classic S4M has the same interior dimensions.

Reactions: BrotherStein

BrotherStein

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 11, 2017
I'm pretty sure that it doesn't... I don't know if I remember correctly, but if I do, one of josh's reasons for the new design was a bigger interior space...

Might be right. I was only getting about 56mm of space where the Josh normally puts the HDPlex there at the front of the case next to the motherboard. Should be enough space for this meanwell, but VERY tight.

BrotherStein

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 11, 2017
My build was in a Skyreach S4M. I believe the classic S4M has the same interior dimensions.

Just received my Meanwell in the mail. LOVE the size of this thing. It looks like it will fit the classic S4M, however, there is a small bend of metal that gets in the way. I'm going to try and file it down, but it should fit nice and snug like yours!

Reactions: Zackmd1