Skyreach S4M Ryzen/GTX 1060 brickless

BrotherStein

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 11, 2017
@Zackmd1 so the new S4M has way more room than my S4M-C. I had to mod the hell out of the brick to get it to fit "nicely." Still very fun and rewarding as it's nice to not have to carry around an external brick!

There was a 90 degree bend near the motherboard that had to be addressed. I took a dremel and file to the brick. Fit very snug afterward and supports the weight:

Also, on the other side, these screws (below) would hit the brick, however, I drilled small holes which also keeps it in place (you can see the filing I had to do better from this side on the right):

Also, there was another strange bend in the ssd mount:

After more and more filing, I finally got it to fit with out the case bowing out:

I had to undervolt the hell out of my 970 to run the Heaven benchmark (dropped down to 85% power). Have you tried any benchmarks or graphic intense games on this brick yet?

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
@Zackmd1 so the new S4M has way more room than my S4M-C. I had to mod the hell out of the brick to get it to fit "nicely." Still very fun and rewarding as it's nice to not have to carry around an external brick!

There was a 90 degree bend near the motherboard that had to be addressed. I took a dremel and file to the brick. Fit very snug afterward and supports the weight:

Also, on the other side, these screws (below) would hit the brick, however, I drilled small holes which also keeps it in place (you can see the filing I had to do better from this side on the right):

Also, there was another strange bend in the ssd mount:

After more and more filing, I finally got it to fit with out the case bowing out:

I had to undervolt the hell out of my 970 to run the Heaven benchmark (dropped down to 85% power). Have you tried any benchmarks or graphic intense games on this brick yet?

Glad you were able to make it fit! Those bends do make things difficult.

I have run just about all my current AAA titles and heaven benchmark with absolutely no undervolting of my components and no unexpected shutdowns. The thing gets hot for sure but has not failed yet. The Ryzen1400 pulls about 55 watts where as the 1060 pulls around 110 watts max. During gaming the 1060 is maxed out where the Ryzen pulls around 35-45 watts depending on the game.

Reactions: BrotherStein

BrotherStein

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 11, 2017
Glad you were able to make it fit! Those bends do make things difficult.

I have run just about all my current AAA titles and heaven benchmark with absolutely no undervolting of my components and no unexpected shutdowns. The thing gets hot for sure but has not failed yet. The Ryzen1400 pulls about 55 watts where as the 1060 pulls around 110 watts max. During gaming the 1060 is maxed out where the Ryzen pulls around 35-45 watts depending on the game.

Ok, that's makes sense then. My CPU is 95W max so that's probably why. I'm hopefully getting a new CPU/MB soon. I noticed those Meanwells are sold out right now and on back order. Thanks for finding those and giving us the heads up!

Reactions: Zackmd1

Thirumal Kumaran

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 22, 2018
Has anybody tried mounting the Meanwell Power supply on the side? Where the HDplex usually seats..
I know about the mounting hole not matching... but is it feasible?

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
@Zackmd1 have you tried using a gx12 3pin connector?
I think that might fit in the purpose of having a small connector with ground...

Thanks for the tip! I’ll look into it. It’s that or I will be designing my own connector to fit in the space required. Haven’t done to much with this lately though due to other automotive projects....

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Just ordered a gx12 3 pin connector to finish up the power leads. Once that is done I am also going to look into modifying the HDD bracket and sleeving the wiring. As for an update on the build, still running strong with no issues to report! Very pleased with the 200 watt PSU.

BrotherStein

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 11, 2017
Just ordered a gx12 3 pin connector to finish up the power leads. Once that is done I am also going to look into modifying the HDD bracket and sleeving the wiring. As for an update on the build, still running strong with no issues to report! Very pleased with the 200 watt PSU.

Mine has been performing well also. I'm curious about the GX12-3pin you are going with. How are you wiring up the one that goes to the wall? Thanks!

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Very sweet build!

I am very glad more and more people are jumping into 12V builds. You did take a bit of risk with higher ripple tolerance, but I suspect modern VRM can handle the fluctuations pretty well.

As an alternative, one can use the HD-PLEX + 24V meanwell, as the HD-PLEX is designed to clean up ripples.