Skyreach S4M Ryzen/GTX 1060 brickless

Thirumal Kumaran

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 22, 2018
I'm not sure what has happened your case, but something blew in my GTX 970 mini a month ago or so. The fan ran at what I guess would be close to 100%. Could not control RPM at all. I pulled off the shroud and stuck a 92mm Noctua fan on it and it was way more quiet. I still can't control the RPM (this model doesn't have PWM), but it still keeps it pretty cool for gaming and everyday use. I'm in the same boat where I'm just waiting for the 11 line to come out.
Did you use the gx12 and meanwell power supply...?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Yea the fan runs constantly. The reason why I am bringing up a temp issue is that my GPU used to be happy around 72C. The fan RPM no longer climbs as fast as it did before/ max RPM is lower yet temp is higher.

It make sense if your max rpm is lower and max temp is higher.

It sounds like a driver issue previously as your ZOTAC should always be hitting 80C due to boost and being a cheaper heatsink design.

Reactions: Zackmd1

Thirumal Kumaran

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 22, 2018
An Update...
In the aim to get a 1060 Amp edition I had to move the meanwell UHP to the side... (Where the hdplex 160 was)

You might not know what "Tight" means if you are planning to cram it and a c6 connector on to the side panel...
Took me lot of work to fit it in...

But,... it is possible...

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
An Update...
In the aim to get a 1060 Amp edition I had to move the meanwell UHP to the side... (Where the hdplex 160 was)

You might not know what "Tight" means if you are planning to cram it and a c6 connector on to the side panel...
Took me lot of work to fit it in...

But,... it is possible...
Pics or it didn't happen :p

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Just to let you guys know, I'm developing a product that makes it easier to use weird power supplies like these while giving you more capabilities.

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/12v-distribution-board-project-one2.7687/

It's a distribution board with power filtering and load switching. You can use it with any 12V power supply and get 400W of clean 12V power. It is designed to be combined with a PICOPSU or my own version of it.

Reactions: BrotherStein

Thirumal Kumaran

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 22, 2018
Am I seeing things correctly? Is your case bulging on the side?
If that's asked to me....
No the case didn't bulge on the side...
The mounting is done by 2 plates which might give the impression of it.

BTW, if the case has bulged the top and bottom panels won't fit without force...

BrotherStein

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 11, 2017
Just to let you guys know, I'm developing a product that makes it easier to use weird power supplies like these while giving you more capabilities.

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/12v-distribution-board-project-one2.7687/

It's a distribution board with power filtering and load switching. You can use it with any 12V power supply and get 400W of clean 12V power. It is designed to be combined with a PICOPSU or my own version of it.

Looking great @Thehack. I had forgotten about this project.

Thirumal Kumaran

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 22, 2018
Whoa that is tight! Where's your gpu btw?
That detective, is the right question...

I borrowed a 1060 6gb from my friend and did all the tests with it on open case and gave it back to him..
Now in dilemma, if to get a 1060 Amp or wait for a 11 series midrange..

BTW, I have a lot of backlogs on my ps4, so a graphics card is not urgent...

iaomw

Trash Compacter
Feb 24, 2017
The PSU fits like a glove in the S4M. Enough of a friction fit remain secured (for testing). For now I just ran the AC cable through the openings in the rear of the case.

So far no shutdowns with the case sealed! Was able to play Doom max settings for a 2hr session without issue along with Fortnite for 2+hrs. More testing to come!

Is 200W enough when CPU turbo boost?

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016

BrotherStein

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 11, 2017
Guys, is there a guide to make Meanwell UHP-200 work with HDPlex 160w DC-ATX? It's a perfect solution for S4M.

Perfect size, definitely! You can get the 24V UHP-200-24 and that would probably work.

As far as a guide, you could probably ask around. I'm sure you can wire up the positive and negative wires to the meanwell easily. That's what I did with a gunique psu.

Last edited: