SKYREACH 4 MINI (S4M)

Fueled By Yams

Trash Compacter
Jan 21, 2020
I managed to get my hands on a Skyreach, and I'm super excited. I traded a Dan v4.1 for it. I'll post the build here (hopefully) this weekend.

P.S. That Dell power brick was shockingly big. I got used to its size pretty quickly, but that thing has that dump truck

Last edited:

mxsoundtube

Caliper Novice
Oct 10, 2018
Any idea if you could do a brickless build with the PowerColor RX 5700 ITX without any modding?

There is a an 8-pin connector on the top of card on the opposite side away from the bracket.

I manage to fit mine without any modification, I did use the 90 degree PCI-E adaptor though.

PS. I don't have a picture of its fully assemble on me right now, but it does fit without any problem.

toomanyboxes

space man spiff
May 27, 2019
After I saw your post I bit the bullet and ordered 5700 ITX as well. Would you mind posting where you got the 8 PIN adapters?

I manage to fit mine without any modification, I did use the 90 degree PCI-E adaptor though.

PS. I don't have a picture of its fully assemble on me right now, but it does fit without any problem.

Last edited:

akisu

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 15, 2019
Originally I had the same idea with the 180 degree adapter. But then I decided to use the free space to improve the GPU cooling:

The adapter doesn't fit after installing the fans. So I use the original cable from HDPlex and removed the side panel from the power supply.

Not sure which adapter mxsoundtube exactly used but you can find some on AliExpress

mxsoundtube

Caliper Novice
Oct 10, 2018

BorG

Caliper Novice
Feb 6, 2019
www.radiocity.si
I am in a process of building the rig as this georgeous case is in my drawer for 4+ months now. :(
Tempted to go Zotac 2070 Super mini way... as it is NVIDIA and a bit faster then 5700 ITX. Anyone done that?
Also... ASUS over ASROCK mobo?

Reactions: LegendsofMace

akisu

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 15, 2019
I am in a process of building the rig as this georgeous case is in my drawer for 4+ months now. :(
Tempted to go Zotac 2070 Super mini way... as it is NVIDIA and a bit faster then 5700 ITX. Anyone done that?
Also... ASUS over ASROCK mobo?
It will be more difficult to go brickless with the Zotac card. But it's possbile when you switch the HDPlex Combo.

A Inno3D 2070 is maybe the easier choice because of the width. But it will not be "super".

xcrco

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 16, 2017
Got a reply from josh directly, from the last stream he seems to be really busy with other projects but managed to reply, he said its up to sfflab website when it comes to the orders, so I guess we have to wait till then :)

Makusan

Chassis Packer
Nov 27, 2019
Hey Josh, is this why we have not heard from you for a bit? . Is this build an indication of S4T? I'm in! This is the exact size and style of case I have been seeking to purchase. -namaskaram

rokabeka

network packet manipulator
Jul 9, 2016
Is this build an indication of S4T? I'm in! This is the exact size and style of case I have been seeking to purchase. -namaskaram
I am afraid Project Density was a custom project. S4T is an S4 Mini style case for APUs so expect that to be even smaller than an S4M

napptr

Chassis Packer
Mar 7, 2018
Hi all - my DC input cable to my 400 watt HDplex DC-ATX unit just died. I am wondering if anyone here has a spare cable they would be willing to sell me. Larry of HDplex is currently out of stock.

Alternatively, I am wondering if there is any way to use the computer with a different PSU, which is readily available for purchase online, short of buying a whole different case. Like an external ATX PSU which I could temporarily use with the S4 mini as an inelegant solution while I am waiting for the replacement cable to be back in stock.

I am in an area of the country which may experience coronavirus-related quarantines shortly and the thought of being stuck inside for weeks with a non-functioning computer is almost too terrible to imagine.

LFO

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 23, 2018
Hi there, does anyone knows what changed in version 2 of the HDplex 400W AC/DC?

I just burned it... twice... so I need to order a replacement!!

I managed to burn it after relocating my S4M. After connecting everything back (usb, screens etc) I only had to connect the GX16-3 connector and forgot to unplug it from the wall socket first... although Ive done this before and never had any issues. So most likely while matching the connector whole a hot pin touched the ground pin and immediately burned it, smoked and melted the pin away and even burned my power connector cable...

Anyway, I soldered a new GX16-3 connector in the mini and made a new power cable. While powering up for testing it happened again, even a bigger flame got out end even melted some metal of the AC/DC. Smelly!!!

That said, I'm not taking any risk to try it again with this unit, so a replacement it is. I opened it and all I could see was some smoke marks on the inside of the casing but no burn marks on the components.

Also while doing so today I kinda lost my trust in the GX16-3 connectors and would like to find out what 3pin connector fits the S4m and HDplex, as it's a very tight fit, especially with the fan mounted on it. Once soldered it's such a tight fit to put the AC/DC in that the solder breaks on the GX16-3 connector, even with heat-shrink on them and bended in a suitable direction etc.

So anyhow, suggestion are welcome! Thanks