SKYREACH 4 MINI (S4M)

Zetex

Case Bender
Aug 9, 2019
Thanks for the feedback on this matter. I did some more research and found this list on Google Docs: S4M SFF Compatible GPUs. Lucky for me, I am able to return the Gigabyte Mini and trade it in for a Zotac GeForce GTX 1660 Ti (ZT-T16610F-10L). That should be able to drop into a brickless build.

Reactions: rfarmer

JELLYMUSHER

Minimal Tinkerer
Aug 11, 2019
Thanks for the feedback on this matter. I did some more research and found this list on Google Docs: S4M SFF Compatible GPUs. Lucky for me, I am able to return the Gigabyte Mini and trade it in for a Zotac GeForce GTX 1660 Ti (ZT-T16610F-10L). That should be able to drop into a brickless build.

Does the Zotac 1660ti fit without modding? I have their 1060 AMP! and there is no way it is fitting in there with the HDPLEX 400 internally... (for now I am using an external power brick).

LFO

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 23, 2018
Quick question, does any knows about a speedfan alternative? The program doesn't seem to recognize my ASUS ROG STRIX X470-I & AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, the noise of the Noctua cpu fan is driving me bonkers for now! It whines constantly up and down, so I would like it to run at a constant speed of 1200 to 1600 rpm at max. The ASUS bios fan control is absolutely not cutting it for me...

Odly enough it's making more noise than the little fan in my Radeon Pro 5100 card... somthing I thought would make much more noise as it has 2 HDD's, 2 SSD's on top of it and a smoking hot HDPLEX AC-DC next to it.

Thx

LFO

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 23, 2018
Have you already tried Asus' AI Suite? Fan Xpert works pretty well for me, on a different board though.

I tried that one, couldn't get it to run on win 7 so far, it's rans as a service list though. Maybe because there is already a fancontrol thingy running in the bios

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
If you want it to run at a constant speed (or a restricted range) you should definitely be able to do that in the BIOS. Take another shot at it. If the bios requires setting %speeds at certain temperature steps then you can usually just set the same % for every step and get a constant speed.

I don't have that board but it looks like a nice one, the cheaper boards I use can do what you are asking in the BIOS so I'm sure yours could too :)

leMadZSE

Cable Smoosher
Aug 4, 2019
I tried that one, couldn't get it to run on win 7 so far, it's rans as a service list though. Maybe because there is already a fancontrol thingy running in the bios
BIOS shouldn't affect it. It's the same like overclocking a CPU in BIOS and then afterwards via software.

LFO

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 23, 2018
If you want it to run at a constant speed (or a restricted range) you should definitely be able to do that in the BIOS. Take another shot at it. If the bios requires setting %speeds at certain temperature steps then you can usually just set the same % for every step and get a constant speed.

I don't have that board but it looks like a nice one, the cheaper boards I use can do what you are asking in the BIOS so I'm sure yours could too
BIOS shouldn't affect it. It's the same like overclocking a CPU in BIOS and then afterwards via software.

I got it a bit quieter through the bios but still not where I want though, I use the PC as audio workstation and there is nothing more annoying than fan noise when mixing audio...
Anyway I placed the mini on a laptop cooler for now but the fans don't help much to bring the noise down, but helps to get the GPU card a bit cooler...
I might looks for something else to keep the system cooler though ... not sure what but will see...

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
I got it a bit quieter through the bios but still not where I want though, I use the PC as audio workstation and there is nothing more annoying than fan noise when mixing audio...
Anyway I placed the mini on a laptop cooler for now but the fans don't help much to bring the noise down, but helps to get the GPU card a bit cooler...
Is it the video card adding to the noise? You can get the CPU fan quiet through the BIOS but for the video card you'll need software in windows, like MSI Afterburner.

Edit: Could you share your BIOS fan settings?

I don't work with audio but I'm ridiculously picky about PC noise so I understand somewhat :) Always seems like when I get happy with silent fans, the new problem becomes component buzzing.. lol

LFO

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 23, 2018
Is it the video card adding to the noise? You can get the CPU fan quiet through the BIOS but for the video card you'll need software in windows, like MSI Afterburner.

Edit: Could you share your BIOS fan settings?

I don't work with audio but I'm ridiculously picky about PC noise so I understand somewhat Always seems like when I get happy with silent fans, the new problem becomes component buzzing.. lol

Once the video-card fan goes up it's kinda whiny loud but doesn't happens a lot. The setting are set to automatic by speed-fan and runs around 48% stationary, then goes to 48-100% when needed or decided by speed-fan.

So for the CPU fan I tried to mimic that in the bios, I can set 3 fixed points in the curve but only use 2. 1&2 are set to 0-60° @ 40% fan-speed and when it passes 75° it goes up to 40-100%

Meanwhile I did some performance testing with my audio & video software, driving it to it's limits and see how much noise it adds.
Well I was impressed how much headroom I have left. For example I rarely use more than 32 tracks when mixing, but at 128 tracks it was still running stable but with lots of fan noise of course.

Cheers!

jkmuskego

Efficiency Noob
New User
Sep 30, 2018
I can't find the source, but I believe one of Josh's videos mentioned the ability to VESA mount the new mini s4, but I can not figure out how or find the initial source for this. Any help?

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
I can't find the source, but I believe one of Josh's videos mentioned the ability to VESA mount the new mini s4, but I can not figure out how or find the initial source for this. Any help?

you're correct.

the new SkyReach revision is VESA compatible.

D90

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 9, 2017
Wasn’t on the back of the monitor stand that looked like a machine gun turret?

jkmuskego

Efficiency Noob
New User
Sep 30, 2018
Do you know how? I don’t see how it is any different from the prior model. I was thinking there would be different holes within the main frame of the case to vesa mount.

The torrent setup with the monitor was just via the external casing and was with the original s4 mini

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Do you know how? I don’t see how it is any different from the prior model. I was thinking there would be different holes within the main frame of the case to vesa mount.

The torrent setup with the monitor was just via the external casing and was with the original s4 mini
The idea is that skyslots itself (its placement and dimension) are VESA compatible. So one need to, say, take one side panel off and mount it, for example, at the back of a monitor stand. Then proceed to put the pc back on the side panel.

Edit: oh and you'd need short m4 screws. Like, 10 mm ish

Last edited:

cornut

Caliper Novice
Jan 28, 2019
I was able to get mine to line up with 3 of the VESA mount holes. You don't need all 4, my 3 hold it fine. Depending on which size mount you have, maybe all 4 will line up?

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Josh mentioned that the factory screws up skyslots pattern in some revision, and they fixed it on this batch. So yours might be one of the affected ones.

SilverJS

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 8, 2018
One of my customers in the Discord channel built a flip bracket for the 1080ti so she could mount it inside the MINI with the HDPLEX 400AC. It is possible, but alot of work. I helped her design it in CAD and she took it to a sheet metal fab to have it made. There was a minimum order quantity/cost penalty of course.

For those of us not (yet!) on the Discord channel - would you be amenable to sharing a bit more about this? Or - are you at liberty (and willing!) to share this design? Quite curious...cheers!

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
For those of us not (yet!) on the Discord channel - would you be amenable to sharing a bit more about this? Or - are you at liberty (and willing!) to share this design? Quite curious...cheers!

Yeah but there is a whole discussion and pictures and the story and everything on there. So it would just be faster to hop on over and take a look. :)

Reactions: NinoPecorino