SKYREACH 4 MINI (S4M)

br3nd0

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 29, 2016
Oh, and because I keep forgetting to upload them, here are a couple pics of the build...

Reactions: Nanook

br3nd0

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 29, 2016
Hey @Josh | NFC I watched your live stream build with the 8700 non k and the 1080 mini (Gigabyte I think) customer build. In it you spoke briefly about customising a whole bunch of things to suit the power requirements and hardware, one of which I assume is some of the BIOS voltage settings? I have read that Asus can sometimes be aggressive in their factory out-of-the-box settings for newer boards. Can you or anyone else provide some recommended BIOS / voltage / windows performance settings for the 8700 in this board? I'll be using the MSI Aero 1070 as the GPU. I know there's probably a whole bunch of info around teh webz but my 8700 arrives today and I wanted to check in here first before I slap it in :) TIA

Pestilaence

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 10, 2018
Well... looks like I'm probably going to be selling my Eurocom unit. Sent it back for warranty, and the tech was like, "we have a problem, it's been opened, so we can't do anything about your issue."

I'm going to have to measure the space above the GPU to see if an HDPLEX AC-DC unit can fit above it.

Side note, Mark Babcock from Eurocom tech support is an ignorant and rude fuck.

**EDIT**
Just measured above the GPU, and I don't have enough clearance for an AC-DC power supply. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: br3nd0

SpringerTheNerd

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 7, 2017
Well... looks like I'm probably going to be selling my Eurocom unit. Sent it back for warranty, and the tech was like, "we have a problem, it's been opened, so we can't do anything about your issue."

I'm going to have to measure the space above the GPU to see if an HDPLEX AC-DC unit can fit above it.

**EDIT**
Just measured above the GPU, and I don't have enough clearance for an AC-DC power supply. :(
You know what they say, test everything before you mod it. But regardless that really blows man.

On another note i have a few builds going on and I'm about to order the majority of my components. Is the Noctua nh-l9i still the top dog for intel coolers?

br3nd0

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 29, 2016
Is the Noctua nh-l9i still the top dog for intel coolers?

Appears that way. I have seen 2 or 3 posts / threads where the Thermolabs LP53 is used with the Noctua NH-L9i 2500rpm fan - @CubanLegend can probably vouch for this. I have my S4 build ready to go (once my button arrives) using this same combo. @Thehack has a design for a 3D printed bracket which allows proper mounting for the Noctua fan on the LP53 for those using this combo. It adds 2mm to total height.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Thanks for the mention. Yes the LP53 would be best cooler for Intel in S4 mini.

For NH-L9i, I am working on a fan shroud that helps reduce warm air being recycled by the cooler:

It'll have an exact height of 7.5mm (37mm + 7.5mm = 44.5mm).

Reactions: Choidebu and br3nd0

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com

**EDIT**

Are you in the USA? You have a right to warranty unless they can prove what you did damaged it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

br3nd0

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 29, 2016
@Thehack you're welcome, thanks for making your file available also. I got a local guy who did the print for me for a song. He knew what I was using it for and went on for a few minutes about the quality of the compound he used and its heat resistance etc... I wish I'd paid more attention but was somewhat distracted by the all the weird and wonderful printed models inside his place - this guy is print-mad!

Anyway, here's how it turned out, had to adjust brightness a bit to help see some of the detail, I have some better shots but here she is, the little beauty. Thanks again!

Reactions: Thehack

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
@Thehack you're welcome, thanks for making your file available also. I got a local guy who did the print for me for a song. He knew what I was using it for and went on for a few minutes about the quality of the compound he used and its heat resistance etc... I wish I'd paid more attention but was somewhat distracted by the all the weird and wonderful printed models inside his place - this guy is print-mad!

Anyway, here's how it turned out, had to adjust brightness a bit to help see some of the detail, I have some better shots but here she is, the little beauty. Thanks again!

Glad you like it. I try to support our modding community. If you buy the prints for me it makes a big difference in supporting my other projects.

I have a couple I can't announce yet but I think our sff community will really like it.

Reactions: Kack and br3nd0

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Appears that way. I have seen 2 or 3 posts / threads where the Thermolabs LP53 is used with the Noctua NH-L9i 2500rpm fan - @CubanLegend can probably vouch for this. I have my S4 build ready to go (once my button arrives) using this same combo. @Thehack has a design for a 3D printed bracket which allows proper mounting for the Noctua fan on the LP53 for those using this combo. It adds 2mm to total height.
the LP53 is the king in combination with the NHL9i 2500rpm fan :)

Pestilaence

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 10, 2018
You know what they say, test everything before you mod it.

I was still getting restarts before I swapped the fans... just not as bad as I'm currently getting. One of the reasons I did it, besides Josh recommending it due to sound levels, was that I wanted to ensure the unit was not restarting due to heat issues.

Are you in the USA? You have a right to warranty unless they can prove what you did damaged it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

Thanks, I'll read that over.

i3f8j

Efficiency Noob
New User
Aug 21, 2018
Hello all!

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I recently put together my Skyreach 4 Mini and everything seems to be working fine except for when I choose to shutdown my build the screen goes black but the power supply LED on my PS stays on, the button stays illuminated, and the CPU fan keeps spinning.

Specs:
Case - Skyreach 4 Mini
Power Button - Machined On/Off from NFC Systems
Power Supply - Custom from Gury
CPU - i3-8100
MOBO - ASRock H370M-ITX/ac
RAM - Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8GB
Storage - NVMe M.2 Asgard 256GB
Cooler - Noctua NH-L9i
GPU - EVGA 1060 6GB SC Gaming

I have tried turning off the fast startup. At first I thought it was the power supply so I returned my first one and Gury sent me a new one. Gury then tested my first one and he said it was working but the same thing is happening with the second one. I removed the power wire and the LED wire from the front panel connector on the mother board and used a screwdriver to turn the computer on but the computer still does not shut down. Any thoughts?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Hello all!

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I recently put together my Skyreach 4 Mini and everything seems to be working fine except for when I choose to shutdown my build the screen goes black but the power supply LED on my PS stays on, the button stays illuminated, and the CPU fan keeps spinning.

Specs:
Case - Skyreach 4 Mini
Power Button - Machined On/Off from NFC Systems
Power Supply - Custom from Gury
CPU - i3-8100
MOBO - ASRock H370M-ITX/ac
RAM - Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8GB
Storage - NVMe M.2 Asgard 256GB
Cooler - Noctua NH-L9i
GPU - EVGA 1060 6GB SC Gaming

I have tried turning off the fast startup. At first I thought it was the power supply so I returned my first one and Gury sent me a new one. Gury then tested my first one and he said it was working but the same thing is happening with the second one. I removed the power wire and the LED wire from the front panel connector on the mother board and used a screwdriver to turn the computer on but the computer still does not shut down. Any thoughts?

Can you confirm something for me?

1. Set it up as if you're using it ordinarily. Shut it down.
2. Observe the power is still applied.
3. Unplug the EPS 4/8 pin (motherboard CPU power)
4. Provide your observation here.

Second part:

3. Unplug the GPU 6 pin.

i3f8j

Efficiency Noob
New User
Aug 21, 2018
Can you confirm something for me?

3. Unplug the EPS 4/8 pin (motherboard CPU power)

Second part:

3. Unplug the GPU 6 pin.

Thanks, Thehack.

Here are my observations below:

Part 1
CPU Fan stays running, does not shut off

Part 2
I plugged back in the EPS 8 pin connector
CPU fan stays running, does not shut off