SKYREACH 4 MINI (S4M)

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Yeah, the Archdemon kit, with the upgraded brick is what I would get, if I went that route. I mean hell, I guess it's still an option, if I can't sort out the Eurocom issue. Gury is incredibly busy all the time though. I tried to hit him up on Discord, and he only answered one or two simple questions for me, then stopped replying... so speaking with him to get particulars about his stuff is kind of difficult it seems.
I emailed him directly, and had pretty quick responses. I started out with an RFQ listing with my requirements (case, CPU, GPU), and then asked him to further bump the wattage up. The final spec (cable lengths, types, connectors, etc) are what he proposed. It defintely took a very long time for me to get the kit. I reached out to Gury on June 18, and after 3-4 emails with him, I placed the order. The kit was shipped July 23, and I received it around August 1.

Reactions: Elerek and br3nd0

Pestilaence

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 10, 2018
1200W AC Adapter HDPLEX 400W DCATX Heaven and Prime95 Stress Test
(reset in under 2 minutes; needed to unplug from wall to boot computer again)

You know, I'm just re watching these video's again, and noticed that even with Larry's 1200W PSU, you still had restarts. Did you figure out what the issue is, by chance? Maybe we all need to sit down with Larry in a conference call/ chat, and test out some things. lol

He sent me his PSU, and it should get here tomorrow, so I'll be able to test a couple things, but even after eliminating the Eurocom unit on your end, there seems to still be an issue...

hdplex

Caliper Novice
HDPLEX
Apr 17, 2016
www.hd-plex.com
Restart after two minutes during Prime95+Heaven Benchmark dual torture does not necessary mean there is an issue with HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX since the peak power recorded by the meter exceeds 500W (documented in my video). Also, the same dual torture test did benchmark successfully on my platform.

Reactions: br3nd0

MrKoolKhai

Chassis Packer
Aug 8, 2018
@hdplex The maximum power recorded on my meter was 467W during the Heaven and Prime95 test, but I know that extreme spikes are sometimes not picked up by power meters. The maximum power was 477W during the Furmark and Prime95 test, and both bricks were able to power my system for the full 10 minutes when I made the videos. This wattage is well above the 400W spec of the 400W DC-ATX, so I do agree that it's somewhat unfair to expect the system to run under these extreme conditions for extended periods of time. Either way though, Eurocom did not instantly deny helping me, and I hope to have a more thorough conversation with them tomorrow. All they have asked me about so far is whether or not the DC cable is the same one that was shipped to me.

@Pestilaence I definitely would be up for something like that, assuming that time is available for it and Larry feels that it would be useful. I don't know if Josh has had a chance to view the videos yet, but just based on my general descriptions he is still not 100% sure that there is something going on with the Eurocom due to his experience with them.

Pestilaence

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 10, 2018
I definitely would be up for something like that, assuming that time is available for it and Larry feels that it would be useful. I don't know if Josh has had a chance to view the videos yet, but just based on my general descriptions he is still not 100% sure that there is something going on with the Eurocom due to his experience with them.

Yeah... something is still going on, but both sides (HDPLEX, Eurocom) are saying that their product is not the cause. I'll hopefully be able to do some more testing later tonight, or this weekend at least.

Also, I can run Prime95 without a hitch... the only time I have an issue is when I do anything graphically intensive... Games, GPU benchmarks... that's when I get an instant restart.

aschafer14

Cable Smoosher
Jul 5, 2018
So I have a G-Unique PSU on order and am hoping to take advantage of the space and add some front panel fans and USB ports, From the measurements I have taken the fan bolt pattern is 40mmx40mm which would indicate a 50mm fan, has anyone found a 50mm PWM fan, I am having trouble finding anything?

Also the front panel cutout for the usb has what looks like a 30mm x 20mm hole pattern and a 20mm x 25mm cutout is this meant for a specific panel or type of connector?

MrKoolKhai

Chassis Packer
Aug 8, 2018
@Pestilaence Same here in regard to Prime95, but I'm not sure if that is due to the power draw from Prime95 being lower or something specifically going on with GPU power. The fact that my Eurocom lasted for a decent amount of time in Furmark instead of instantly resetting is throwing me for a loop though...

kittysox

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 8, 2017
Why run 8700k with mce in the s4 with Larry’s brick. That chip under mce will pull over 130w by itself. My 8086k at 5 pulls 158w. And default oc on the graphics cards, your so incredibly far above the sustained rating of the hdplex 400 it’s not even funny. That system is going to spike way over 500-550w. Your going to have to detune that chip for it to work, and do it in bios not software like turning a gpu’s Power limit down in afterburner or something similar.

Last edited:

br3nd0

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 29, 2016
All about balance in these little rigs. 65w non k for me is plenty as I don't OC. Anything that gives me 1440p @ 80+ fps is plenty. I appreciate everyone's desires vary, but I never would have attempted something like an 8700k and 1080ti in the S4.

Hopefully the next 12 months bring about some cool changes.... GTX 11xx/20xx, Intel 9 series, AMD Zen2, Ice Lake 10nm etc etc. and we can yield better results on newer hardware with existing power limitations.

Last edited:

kulbida

Average Stuffer
Jan 8, 2018
All about balance in these little rigs. 65w non k for me is plenty as I don't OC. Anything that gives me 1440p @ 80+ fps is plenty. I appreciate everyone's desires vary, but I never would have attempted something like an 8700k and 1080ti in the S4.

Hopefully the next 12 months bring about some cool changes.... GTX 11xx/20xx, Intel 9 series, AMD Zen2, Ice Lake 10nm etc etc. and we can yield better results on newer hardware with existing power limitations.
I concur. I’m currently gaming Destiny 2 at 3440x1440 average 80 FPS and with G-SYNC it is buttery smooth.

edit: i7 8700/GTX 1080

Reactions: TheHig and br3nd0

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Maybe I'm a doofus, but would there even be a perceivable (or significantly measurable) difference in performance across games when using an 8700 vs. an 8700K?

Reactions: TheHig and br3nd0

MrKoolKhai

Chassis Packer
Aug 8, 2018
@kittysox I actually mentioned this to Josh, but he brought up the fact that he overclocked his 12 core i9 and 1080 Ti system on the Eurocom and the HDPLEX 400W AC-DC without any issues. It is above the rated wattage, but it has been shown previously (at least with earlier revisions) to be able to handle loads that are substantially greater than what is created by an 8700K with MCE enabled. Changing the CPU settings doesn't affect the end result at all; there is an instant reset when games are started. Larry specifically told me that this is not something that should happen with the 400W DC-ATX, and simply playing a game without running anything that is CPU intensive in the background is well within the specification of what the 400W DC-ATX can handle. My system was not initially put in an S4 Mini, but I decided to use the case when I realized that travelling with my system would be useful.

Pestilaence

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 10, 2018
I know I've heard it before somewhere, but has anyone removed the stock fans on the 1080 Ti mini, and mounted two Noctua fans in front of it, using the Sky Bracket?

I sent my Eurocom unit in for service/ check, and I'm still waiting to get my third HDPLEX from Larry once he finished the latest batch.... but once I have that all sorted out, I kind of want to try and take the fan and shroud off the GPU. The stock fans are pretty noisy, at anything above 50% speed. I also plan on putting some Grizzly Conductonaut on the GPU to help even more.

@Josh | NFC Have you tested any of this?

veganzombiez

Caliper Novice
Jan 13, 2018
I know I've heard it before somewhere, but has anyone removed the stock fans on the 1080 Ti mini, and mounted two Noctua fans in front of it, using the Sky Bracket?

I sent my Eurocom unit in for service/ check, and I'm still waiting to get my third HDPLEX from Larry once he finished the latest batch.... but once I have that all sorted out, I kind of want to try and take the fan and shroud off the GPU. The stock fans are pretty noisy, at anything above 50% speed. I also plan on putting some Grizzly Conductonaut on the GPU to help even more.

I saw a few posts about this earlier in the thread, and the consensus seemed to be that there wasn't significant temp change, but significant noise reduction.

You also need to remove the entire heatsink if you want to plug the fans into the GPU header. Otherwise, you can just plug into the mobo and have them running full speed.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com

Have you seen this video?

Reactions: Obelisk and Nanook